Winter studied at Uppsala University in Sweden and Stanford University in the U.S. In 1990 he moved to London with JPMorgan Chase. He joined Salomon Brothers in 1996, which merged with Citi in 2000. Having spent over twenty years in London, he has held several senior positions within Global Capital Markets and was previously Citi's Head of Capital Markets for Europe, Middle East, Africa.
According to Euromoney (GlobalCapital), Winter is "one of the European Bond markets most popular and respected figures" and elected by the same publication as one of the "Top 100 most Influential people in Capital markets".
Winter re-located to the Nordic region in 2012, where he is Chairman, Managing Director and Head of Investment Banking at Citi. Since 2012, Citi's Nordic operations have won several awards, such as M&A House of the Year by Mergermarket and several investment banking awards from Euromoney.
In addition, Eirik Winter is engaged as a business sponsor for Citi Women Nordic Network and mentor for Stockholm School of Economics scholarship Female Economist of the Year, as well as Citi Foundation's program with Junior Achievement and Youth Business International. 
Winter is also a board member of several organisations such as The Swedish-American Chamber of Commerce in New York, Foreign Bankers´ Association and The Swedish Bankers Association.
He is an officer in the Army reserve forces, keen cyclist, skier, ice skater and sailor.
- Eirik Winter (in Swedish) KMK Nytt (Archived 11 August 2016 at the Wayback Machine.)
- "People: Citi streamlines capital markets – again". Euromoney. Retrieved 2017-11-30.
- "Citi DCM chief Winter to run Nordic region". www.globalcapital.com. Retrieved 2017-11-30.
- "Obligationskungen har hittat hem". Affärsvärlden (in Swedish). Retrieved 2017-11-30.
- "Citi continues to be recognised as a leading force in the Nordic region". News Powered by Cision. Retrieved 2017-12-01.
- "Winners of European M&A Awards 2015". Mergermarket Events. Retrieved 2017-12-01.
- "Citi new sponsor for Female Economist of the Year scholarship". www.hhs.se. Retrieved 2017-11-30.
- "Investerar i kvinnligt kapital". Dagens industri. 2016-05-31. Retrieved 2017-11-30.
- "Citi och NyföretagarCentrum ska generera 1200 nya företag bland unga entreprenörer!". Mynewsdesk (in Swedish). Retrieved 2017-11-30.
- "Eirik Winter: Därför ska de nordiska länderna bilda en union". Dagens industri. 2017-10-27. Retrieved 2017-12-01.
- "'United States of North' – A top banker wants the Nordics to become a global superpower". nordic.businessinsider.com. Retrieved 2017-12-01.
|This United Kingdom business–related biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This United Kingdom bank or insurance-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|