Eivind Aarset at Moers Festival, Germany, 2006
23 March 1961 |
Kolbotn, Oppegård, Akershus, Norway
|Genres||Nu jazz, electronic|
Eivind Aarset (born 23 March 1961 in Kolbotn, Oppegård, Norway) is a Norwegian guitarist who has worked with Ray Charles, Dee Dee Bridgewater, Ute Lemper, Ketil Bjørnstad, Mike Mainieri, Arild Andersen, Abraham Laboriel, Dhafer Youssef, Django Bates, and Nils Petter Molvaer. Aarset is married to Norwegian singer Anne-Marie Giørtz.
Aarset's debut solo album as a band leader was described by New York Times as "one of the best post-Miles Davis electric jazz albums". As one of the most requested guitarists Aarset has worked with Nils Petter Molvær, Bill Laswell, Jon Hassell, Jan Garbarek, David Sylvian and Marilyn Mazur among many others.
After several releases on the Bugge Wesseltoft label Jazzland, he released the album Dream Logic (2012) on the label ECM, where he collaborated closely with Jan Bang and Erik Honoré on the production and timbral design of melodies, sound sculptures and soundscapes. Aarset is a pioneering guitarist with a great sense of electronics sound and expressiveness, and often the guitar plays a role as manipulable sound source and tool for layer-by-layer routing more than a traditional melody. His style is often associated with that of nu jazz, and his performance, improvising and albums feature, a strong 21'st century electronic influence. He is considered to be one of the unique re-interpretations of what the role and sound of the electric guitarist can be.
Aarset performs regularly at the "Punkt Festival" in Kristiansand, Norway. At the 2013 festival he accompanied Arve Henriksen, Jan Bang, Erik Honoré and Ingar Zach, celebrating the release of two new albums Narrative From The Subtropics by Jan Bang and Places Of Worship by Arve Henriksens, in addition to performing a special "Dream Logic" concert including the lineup Jan Bang, Audun Erlien, Wetle Holte and Erland Dahlen.
As band leader
- 1998: Électronique Noire (Jazzland, EmArcy)
- 2001: Light Extracts (Jazzland), within Électronique Noire
- 2004: Connected (Jazzland)
- 2007: Sonic Codex (Jazzland)
- 2010: Live Extracts (Jazzland), within the Sonic Codex Orchestra
- 2012: Dream Logic (ECM)
- 2015: I.E. (Jazzland)
- With Anne-Marie Giørtz
- 1985: Tigers of Pain
- With Nils Petter Molvær
- With Dhafer Youssef
- With Ketil Bjørnstad
- With Arild Andersen
- 2005: Electra (ECM)
- With Andy Sheppard
- With Arve Henriksen
- With Jon Hassell
- 2009: Last night the moon came dropping its clothes in the street (ECM)
- With Hans Ulrik
- With Anne-Marie Giørtz
- With Food
- 2012: Mercurial Balm (ECM)
- With J. Peter Schwalm
- 2016: Atmosphères (ECM)
- "Aarset, Eivind Biography". Norsk Musikkinformasjon. 2011-11-03. Archived from the original on 2014-09-03. Retrieved 2012-11-14.
- "Eivind Aarset". AllAboutJazz.com. Retrieved 2012-11-14.
- "Eivind Aarset – "Dream Logic"". PunktFestival.no. 2013-06-13. Retrieved 2013-10-07.
- Kelman, John (2012-07-05). "Eivind Aarset: Guitar Anti-Hero". AllAboutJazz.com. Retrieved 2012-10-10.
- "Eivind Aarset". Kalleklev.no. Retrieved 2012-10-10.
- Cleveland, Barry. "Eivind Aarset". GuitarPlayer.com. Retrieved 2012-10-10.
- "PUNKT program 2013". PunktFestival.no. Retrieved 2013-10-07.
- Kelman, John (2013-12-13). "John Kelman's Best Live Shows of 2013". All About Jazz. Retrieved 2013-12-14.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Eivind Aarset.|