Ejan Mackaay (born 1943 in Amsterdam) is emeritus professor of law and author. He holds an LL.M (1966) and an LL.D (1980, cum laude) from the University of Amsterdam as well as an LL.M (1977) from the University of Toronto.
Ejan Mackaay has been Professor of Law at the Université de Montréal since 1972 and became Professor Emeritus in 2009. He specialises in Economic Analysis of Law and intellectual property. Over the years, Professor Mackaay has been involved in several organisations and institutions, including: Fellow at CIRANO since 2010, director at the Centre for the Law of Business and International Trade (CDACI) (2005–2008) and director of the Public Law Research Centre (CRDP) (1999–2003), at the Université de Montréal.
In 1986, he was invited to be a correspondent of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Sciences. In 1996, he was awarded the Minerva Prize of the Netherlands Society of Translators for the translation of the Netherlands Civil Code into French. In December 2013, Law and Economics for Civil Law Systems was awarded the Vogel Book Prize 2013 .
He is regularly invited to participate in international events and has been invited for lectures to the Universities of Torcuato Di Tella (Buenos Aires), Bahia Blanca (Argentina), São Paulo (USP), Porto Alegre, Curitiba (Brazil), Göttingen, Hamburg, Hannover, Marburg, Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Tilburg, Ghent, Namur, Liège, Paris I, Aix-en-Provence, Montpellier, Nancy, EDHEC-Lille, Tunis, Sfax (Tunisia), St Peter’s College, Oxford, Bologna,Torino, Ottawa, Toronto, Victoria (British Columbia), Sherbrooke as well as to the European Academy of Legal Theory, Brussels and the Institute for Humane Studies - Europe.
His research has always aimed at making law more easily accessible, by focusing on the intersection of law and neighbouring sciences, including information technology and social sciences (“jurimetrics”, Law and economics).
- Mackaay, Ejan (2013). Law and Economics for Civil Law Systems (1st ed.). Cheltenham: Edward Elgar. ISBN 978 1 84844 309 9.
- Mackaay, Ejan; Rousseau, Stéphane (2008). Analyse économique du droit, 2nd ed (in French) (2nd ed.). Paris: Dalloz. ISBN 978-2-247-07145-6.
- Analyse économique du droit, 1st ed (PDF) (in French). Montréal: Éditions Thémis. 2000.
- Ejan, Mackaay, ed. (2000). Les certitudes du droit [Certainties of the Law] (in French). Montréal: Éditions Thémis.
- Peter Haanappel, Ejan Mackaay, Hans Warendorf and Richard Thomas (translators) (1999). Netherlands Business Legislation. The Hague: Kluwer Law International.
- P.P.C. Haanappel and Ejan Mackaay (translators) (1995). New Netherlands Civil Code - Patrimonial Law / Le nouveau Code civil néerlandais (trilingual edition English - French - Dutch). Book 8 - Traffic Means and Transport/ Livre huitième - Du transport et des moyens de transport. The Hague: Kluwer Law International.
- Mackaay, Ejan; Trudeau, Hélène, eds. (1995). L’environnement - À quel prix? [The Environment -- At What Cost?] (in French). Montréal: Éditions Thémis.
- Mackaay, Ejan; Poulin, Daniel; Trudel, Pierre, eds. (1995). The electronic superhighway - The shape of technology and law to come. Computer/Law Series. The Hague: Kluwer Law International.
- Poulin, Daniel; Trudel, Pierre; Mackaay, Ejan, eds. (1995). Les autoroutes électroniques - Usages, droit et promesses [The Electronic Superhighway - Uses, law and promises] (in French). Cowansville: Les Éditions Yvon Blais.
- Mackaay, Ejan; Gendreau, Ysolde, eds. (since 1993). Législation canadienne en propriété intellectuelle [Canadian Legislation on Intellectual Property] (in English and French). Scarborough, Ontario: Carswell. Check date values in:
- Mackaay, Ejan, ed. (1991). Nouvelles technologies et propriété (in French). Montréal: Éditions Thémis.
- P.P.C. Haanappel and E. Mackaay (translators) (1997). New Netherlands Civil Code - Patrimonial Law / Le nouveau Code civil néerlandais - Le droit patrimonial (trilingual English - French - Dutch edition). Kluwer Law International.
- Deniger, Constant; Mackaay, Ejan; Turcotte, Denis (1989). Les contrats en télématique - Guide pratique pour diffuser une banque d’informations (in French). Les publications du Québec.
- Codification, Valeurs et Langage, Actes du colloque international de droit civil comparé (in French). Service des communications du Conseil de la langue française. 1986. (member of the Organising Committee of the Conference, which took place on 1–3 October 1981)
- Paul A. Crépeau; et al. (1985). Dictionnaire de droit privé (in French) (1st ed.). Centre de recherche en droit privé et comparé du Québec.
- Economics of Information and Law. Boston: Kluwer–Nijhoff. 1982.
Several publications of Ejan Mackaay can be found on these websites:
Université de Montréal: http://www.umontreal.ca/
- http://www.crdp.umontreal.ca/en/chercheurs/mackaay_ejan/index.html; http://www.cdaci.umontreal.ca/membres/e_mackaay_eng.html
- "Ejan Mackaay". Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences. Retrieved 17 July 2015.