Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh Aisa Laga
|Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh Aisa Laga|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Shelly Chopra Dhar|
|Produced by||Vidhu Vinod Chopra|
|Music by||Rochak Kohli|
|Edited by||Ashish Suryavanshi|
|Distributed by||Fox Star Studios|
|Box office||est. ₹43.95 crore|
Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh Aisa Laga (transl. How I felt when I saw that girl) is a 2019 Indian Hindi-language coming-of-age romantic comedy-drama film directed by Shelly Chopra Dhar. The screenplay was written by Dhar and Gazal Dhaliwal, with the story inspired by the 1919 novel A Damsel in Distress by P. G. Wodehouse. It stars Anil Kapoor, Sonam Kapoor,[a] Rajkummar Rao and Juhi Chawla, and features Seema Pahwa, Brijendra Kala, Alka Kaushal, Akshay Oberoi, and Regina Cassandra in supporting roles. The film tells the story of Sweety Chaudhary, a closeted lesbian, and her attempts to come out to her religious and traditional Punjabi family.[b]
The film is the first collaboration between real-life father and daughter Anil Kapoor and Sonam Kapoor, and marks the Bollywood debut of Regina Cassandra. It was released worldwide on 1 February 2019. The screenplay was selected by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences for its library's Core Collection.
Sweety Chaudhary is a young Punjabi woman who has to contend with an overenthusiastic traditional family that wants to see her married. However, Sweety harbours a secret close to her heart: she is a lesbian in love with another woman, Kuhu, and fears that she might not find acceptance in her family and society, and be able to have a recognized relationship with her true love. Her homophobic brother, Babloo, dreads her relationship with Kuhu and what their society might think of the Chaudhary family because of it. With the help of playwright Sahil Mirza, her father and family realize that there is no curse in Sweety being lesbian and having a same-sex relationship.
- Anil Kapoor as Balbir Chaudhary
- Sonam K Ahuja as Sweety Chaudhary
- Sara Arjun as a young Sweety Chaudhary
- Rajkummar Rao as Sahil Mirza
- Juhi Chawla as Chatro
- Abhishek Duhan as Babloo Chaudhary
- Madhumalti Kapoor as Beeji
- Seema Pahwa as Billauri
- Brijendra Kala as Chaubey
- Alka Kaushal as Sahil’s mother
- Akshay Oberoi as Raza
- Kanwaljit Singh as Sahil's father
- Regina Cassandra as Kuhu
Principal photography began in Patiala on 29 January 2018. Initially, Anil Kapoor began filming and Sonam Kapoor joined the production shortly thereafter. It is produced by Vidhu Vinod Chopra under the banner of Vinod Chopra Films.
The film's title is derived from a similarly named song from the 1994 film 1942: A Love Story, which also stars Anil Kapoor. Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh Aisa Laga marks the reunion, after 11 years, of Anil Kapoor and Juhi Chawla, one of India's popular onscreen couples.
The teaser for the film was released on 27 June 2018. On 23 December, Anil Kapoor presented the first promotional image for the film and also announced the release of the trailer on 27 December. On 26 December, the film poster was released.
A second poster with 'upside down look' terming it as 'rethink the way you look at love' was unveiled on 8 January 2019. A second trailer was released on 28 January 2019. This was followed by the launch of the film's title track, on 7 January 2019.
Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh Aisa Laga was released on 1 February 2019 on 1,500 screens in domestic circuit. The film is distributed by Fox Star Studios, and received a 12A certification from the British Board of Film Classification.
On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the film has a 67% approval rating and an average rating of 7/10. Saibal Chatterjee of NDTV gave it four stars out of five and wrote, "In the context of a filmmaking tradition that has usually been shockingly insensitive to LGBTQ rights, Ek Ladki Ko Dekha... is a whiff of fresh air, a huge leap forward from 2008's Dostana. It does not seek to derive mirth and frivolity from the theme, offering instead an earnest, unapologetic depiction of the act of coming out in a conservative society." He found the story "simple enough and... told in a manner that could be faulted for being overly chaste but the film achieves something far bigger than a Bollywood crowd-pleaser can: it goads the audience to think differently without deviating from its primary purpose, which is to deliver entertainment". Gaurang Chauhan of Times Now rates the film three and a half stars out of five and concludes, "Overall, Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh Aisa Laga is an important, well-intended film that is high on entertainment, boasts of great performances and rightfully deserves all the applause".
Ananya Bhattacharya of India Today gave it four stars out of five, opining, "Sonam Kapoor and Anil Kapoor, along with writer Gazal Dhaliwal and director Shelly Chopra Dhar, deliver a brilliant lesbian love story that Bollywood should be proud of". Taran Adarsh gave the film three stars out of five, terming it as "Brave" and says, "Good to see unconventional themes being given dignity by mainstream actors... Will surely trigger debates about love and life... Anil, Juhi, Rajkummar, Sonam, Abhishek Duhan are top notch".
Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh Aisa Laga collected ₹2.90 crore on the first day of release. The first week earned ₹17.19 crore in domestic circuit. The film grossed ₹26 crore in the domestic market and ₹17.95 crore in the overseas market, for a combined worldwide gross of ₹43.95 crore. Box Office Mojo reported a total US$3.3 million (est.) worldwide gross as of 24 February 2019.
|Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh Aisa Laga|
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||8 January 2019|
|Genre||Feature Film Soundtrack|
|Rochak Kohli chronology|
The music for the film was composed by Rochak Kohli, while the music of the title song was originally written by R.D. Burman for the film 1942: A Love Story, and the lyrics rewritten by Gurpreet Saini. The soundtrack album was released by Saregama on 8 January 2019.
|1.||"Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh Aisa Laga"||Original Music: R.D. Burman|
Recreated By: Rochak Kohli
|Rochak Kohli, Darshan Raval||2:35|
|2.||"Gud Naal Ishq Mitha"||Rochak Kohli||Harshdeep Kaur, Navraj Hans||3:39|
|3.||"Good Morning"||Rochak Kohli||Vishal Dadlani, Shannon Donald||3:21|
|5.||"House Party Song"||Sukhwinder Singh, Arjun Kanungo, Parry G||2:52|
- "Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh Aisa Laga gets 12A rating for references to discrimination by British Censors". Zee Media. 26 January 2019. Retrieved 13 February 2019.
- Dogra, Tavishi (2 February 2019). "Bollywood goes big on budget! Here are the top mega budget upcoming movies of 2019". The Financial Express. Retrieved 18 February 2019.
- "Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh Aisa Laga – Box Office". Bollywood Hungama. 15 March 2019. Retrieved 24 April 2019.
- "Bollywood's first major LGBTQ film". BBC News. 17 February 2019. Retrieved 9 March 2019.
- McCahill, Mike (2 February 2019). "Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh Aisa Laga review - lesbian groundbreaker is crowdpleaser". The Guardian. Retrieved 9 April 2019.
- Sharma, Priyanka (13 October 2017). "Anil Kapoor, Sonam Kapoor team up for Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh Aisa Laga". The Indian Express. Retrieved 24 January 2018.
- Aiyappan, Ashameera (20 February 2018). "Regina Cassandra to make Bollywood debut, bags an important role in Sonam Kapoor's film". The Indian Express. Retrieved 20 February 2018.
- "Screenplay of Sonam Kapoor's Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh Aisa Laga To Be Part of Oscars Library". CNN-News18. 9 February 2019. Retrieved 13 February 2019.
- Shiksha, Shruti (24 January 2018). "Details About Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh Aisa Laga, Starring Sonam Kapoor And Dad Anil Kapoor". NDTV. Retrieved 24 January 2018.
- "Ek Ladki Ko Dekha To Aisa Laga: Shoot of Anil and Sonam Kapoor-starrer kicks off in Patiala". Firstpost. 25 January 2018. Retrieved 25 January 2018.
- "Anil Kapoor starts shooting for Ek Ladki Ko Dekha To Aisa Laga, Sonam will join soon". Hindustan Times. 24 January 2018. Retrieved 24 January 2018.
- "Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh Aisa Laga title song: Anil Kapoor's iconic 1942 A Love Story song gets a 2019 version". Hindustan Times. 8 January 2019. Retrieved 9 February 2019.
- Iyengar, Shriram (29 January 2019). "A great artiste should not be insecure, Vidhu Vinod Chopra on the original 'Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh Aisa Laga'". Cinestaan. Retrieved 13 February 2019.
- FoxStarHindi (27 June 2018). "Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh Aisa Laga | Teaser | Anil | Sonam | Rajkummar | Juhi | Shelly Chopra Dhar". YouTube. Retrieved 19 October 2018.
- Anil Kapoor [@AnilKapoor] (23 December 2018). "Excited to present the first look of #EkLadkiKoDekhaToAisaLaga. Honoured to begin this journey on my birthday along with my lovely daughter @sonamakapoor. Trailer releases 27th Dec" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- FoxStarHindi (26 December 2018). "Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh Aisa Laga | Official Trailer | Anil | Sonam | Rajkummar | Juhi | 1st Feb'19". YouTube.
- Zatat, Narjas (29 December 2018). "Sonam Kapoor wows in trailer for Bollywood's first LGBT love story, How I Felt When I Saw that Girl". Metro. Retrieved 9 March 2019.
- "Sonam Kapoor releases new poster of Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh Aisa Laga". The Statesman. 26 December 2018. Retrieved 26 December 2018.
- "Ek Ladki Ko Dekha To Aisa Laga Poster: Rethink the way you look at love". Mid Day. 8 January 2019. Retrieved 9 February 2019.
- FoxStarHindi (28 January 2019). "Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh Aisa Laga | Official Trailer 2 | Anil | Sonam | RajKummar | Juhi | 1st Feb'19". YouTube.
- Saregama Music (7 January 2019). "Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh Aisa Laga | Title Song | Anil | Sonam | Rajkummar | Juhi | Darshan | Rochak". YouTube.
- "Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh Aisa Laga: Sonam Kapoor, Rajkummar Rao starrer to release on February 1, 2019". The Indian Express. 27 July 2018.
- Taran Adarsh [@taran_adarsh] (1 February 2019). "#EkLadkiKoDekhaTohAisaLaga had a lacklustre start, but picked up at select urban centres towards evening... Growth on Day 2 and Day 3 essential for a respectable weekend total... Fri ₹ 3.30 cr [1500 screens]. India biz" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Fox Star Hindi [@foxstarhindi] (30 January 2019). "On February 1, the secret will come out. #SetLoveFree with #EkLadkiKoDekhaTohAisaLaga. Book your tickets now" (Tweet). Retrieved 13 February 2019 – via Twitter.
- "Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh Aisa Laga". New On Netflix –USA–. April 2019. Retrieved 6 April 2019.
- "Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh Aisa Laga". instantwatcher.com. April 2019. Retrieved 6 April 2019.
- "Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh Aisa Laga". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango. 2019. Retrieved 10 February 2019.
- "Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh Aisa Laga Movie Review: Sonam, Anil Kapoor's Film Is A Whiff Of Fresh Air With Daring Vision And Entertainment". NDTV. 1 February 2019.
- "Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh Aisa Laga Movie Review: An important, well-intended entertainer that deserves applause". Times Now News. 1 February 2019. Retrieved 1 February 2019.
- "Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh Aisa Laga Movie Review: Sonam Kapoor powers excellent lesbian love story". India Today. 1 February 2019. Retrieved 1 February 2019.
- Taran Adarsh [@taran_adarsh] (1 February 2019). "#OneWordReview#EkLadkiKoDekhaTohAisaLaga:BRAVE! Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️ Good to see unconventional themes being given dignity by mainstream actors... Will surely trigger debates about love and life... Anil, Juhi, Rajkummar, Sonam, Abhishek Duhan are top notch. #ELKDTAL t.co/2ol6qhUOVn" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh Aisa Laga". Box Office Mojo. Amazon. 2019. Retrieved 26 February 2019.
- "Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh Aisa Laga". JioSaavn. 2019.
- Lulla, Sonia (28 January 2019). "Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh Aisa Laga composer Rochak Kohli strikes gold on number 12". Mid Day. Retrieved 14 March 2019.
- "Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh Aisa Laga". Saregama. 2019. Retrieved 14 March 2019.
- "Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh Aisa Laga (EP)". Soundtrack.Net. 2019. Retrieved 13 March 2019.
- Chandrashekhar, Vaishnavi (25 February 2019). "India's Bollywood Queer Romance Film". U.S. News & World Report.
- Goyal, Divya (1 February 2019). "Rajkummar Rao Says Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh Aisa Laga Talks About 'What's Relevant In Society'". NDTV.
- Jamkhandikar, Shilpa (1 February 2019). "Movie Review: Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh Aisa Laga". Reuters.
- Masand, Rajeev (2 February 2019). "Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh Aisa Laga Movie Review: Sonam Kapoor-starrer Has Its Heart in the Right Place". News 18.
- Saltz, Rachel (1 February 2019). "Review: A Lesbian Romantic Comedy, Sort of, by Way of Bollywood". The New York Times.
- Sen, Raja (2 February 2019). "Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh Aisa Laga Movie Review: Anil Kapoor and Sonam Kapoor take lesbian love mainstream". Hindustan Times.