Ek Paheli Leela
Ek Paheli Leela
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Bobby Khan|
|Screenplay by||Jojo Khan|
|Story by||Bobby Khan|
Meet Bros Anjjan
|Edited by||Nitin FCP|
Paper Doll Entertainment
|Budget||₹15 crore (US$2.1 million)|
|Box office||est.₹27.47 crore (US$3.8 million)|
Ek Paheli Leela (translation: Leela: A Mystery) is a 2015 Indian thriller drama film, written and directed by Bobby Khan and produced by Bhushan Kumar and Krishan Kumar. It stars Sunny Leone in the titular lead role with Jay Bhanushali, Rajneesh Duggal, Jas Arora, Mohit Ahlawat and Rahul Dev in pivotal roles. Choreography is done by Ahmed Khan and Jojo Khan. The music for the film is composed by Meet Bros Anjjan and Amaal Mallik. Principal photography of the film began in Jodhpur, India.
The film is a reincarnation story which is set 300 years back, and revolves around the story of Leela (Sunny Leone) and her lover. Their love story remains incomplete as they are murdered. The film portrays how their story completes when they both are reincarnated in present time.
The trailer of the film was released on 6 February 2015 and became YouTube's most viewed Bollywood movie trailer of the first quarter of 2015. The film received mixed reviews from the critics upon release and was a commercial success.
Karan (Jay Bhanushali) is a singer/musician who moves to a new house in Mumbai along with his friends. He often helps his sister Radhika (Shivani Tanksale) and Andy - his sister's colleague (both are fashion photographers) with music for their fashion shows.
Radhika wants to get her friend Meera (Sunny Leone) for her fashion shows featuring in India but Meera is reluctant. Hence, Radhika with the help of her friend Andy (VJ Andy) take her to India on an aeroplane by making her drunk( induced drowsiness). After they arrive in India, Meera discovers the truth and gets angry. Meanwhile, her mood changes as she sees Rajasthani girls playing a traditional game and starts to play with them forgetting her plight.
While in India, Meera meets royalty -Ranveer Singh (Mohit Ahlawat), a Rajput prince, in Rajasthan. The two eventually fall in love and get married. The prince Ranveer is in middle of a property dispute with his cousin Bikram Singh (Jas Arora).
Meanwhile, back home, Karan has persistent dreams of someone whipping him and many times he wakes up from his sleep shouting loudly " Leela! Leela!" . In an attempt to figure why, his friends takes him to a Pandit (Naadi palm leaf reader) who tells him that his pain is rooted in his past life of 300 years ago!
With the help from the Pandit, Karan travels through his past and they find out that he must be Shravan (Rajneesh Duggal), who was in love with a girl called Leela (also played by Sunny Leone) but his master, an artist, Bhairao (Rahul Dev) adopts her as his muse. Bhairao makes a statue of Leela and discovers that Leela is in love with Shravan. In a fit of rage, Bhairao kills both Shravan and Leela by pushing them into a bottomless pit of fire!
With the advise from Pandit, Karan gets some courage to visit a place called' Bhairao Virajana' (the place of dispute between Ranveer and Bikram). This place is under dispute because both the Prince Ranveer and Bikram know that a statue of "Leela" is hidden in the midst of its ruins, which is worth a billion dollars!
Bikram finds out that Karan is trespassing his property and brings him to Prince Ranveer to inform him that their property is now being invaded by unknown strangers!
Inside the palace,Karan meets Meera and tries to remind Meera about their past but Meera does not believe him. Karan plays a song "Tere Bin" that takes Meera back into their past and she recollects her past life as the beautiful Leela...Bhairao overhears all the conversations and knows that the secret of where the statue of Leela is hidden can be known by kidnapping Karan and Meera and forcing them to spill the beans.
With the help of a some henchmen, Meera and Karan get kidnapped by Bikram who is looking for a statue that Bhairao had made. The current market value of the statue is $10 billion and Bikram wants to keep the money for himself. Bikram starts harassing Meera so that she would tell him where the statue is hidden, and therefore under duress and to save Meera, Karan reveals that the statue was hidden behind a wall, and then when Bikram gets to the statue, Prince Ranveer arrives and pierces Bikram's hand with a sword.
At the end, karan realizes that was actually the reincarnation of Bhairao and not of Shravan (who got reincarnated in Ranveer). Karan tries to redeem his ills by committing suicide but Meera and Ranveer don't let him.
Karan's album "Tere Bin" gets him fame and the story ends happily ever after.
- Sunny Leone as Leela (first birth)/Meera Singh (reborn with same face and married to Ranveer)
- Rajneesh Duggal as Shravan (Leela’s Lover previous birth)
- Jay Bhanushali as Karan (rebirth has Bhairao)
- Mohit Ahlawat as Prince Ranveer Singh (rebirth has Shravan and now married to Meera)
- Jas Arora as Prince Bikram
- Shivani Tanksale as Radhika
- VJ Andy as himself
- Ahsaan Qureshi as Maan Singh
- Rahul Dev as Bhairao
- Daniel Weber as Flight Pilot (Cameo appearance)
Bobby Khan stated that Sunny Leone was the only actress suitable for the roles . He also stated that big actors refused to do the film because of Leone. Actor Mohit Ahlawat returned to films after four years. Leone's husband Daniel Weber also had a cameo appearance in the film as flight attendant. As the film revisits two very different eras, the attire worn by Leone was also carefully designed. Leone's personal stylist Hitesh Kapopara who has also designed costumes for Leone for her previous films went for shopping in the local markets of London and Rajasthan for traditional accessories.
The film was shot at various location including Mumbai, London and Rajasthan. In Rajasthan, it was filmed at remote interiors and villages. At Jodhpur, the sand dunes were also included in the shoot along with the villagers for a song sequence. A village was also created on the desert to commence the filming. The Khimsar Fort in Nagaur, Laxmi Niwas Palace of Bikaner were also included into the shots and were used as royal palace in the film. Reportedly, Sunny got skin infection on the sets as she has to shoot in the scorching heat and had rashes over the body. Leone also learnt Rajasthani dialect for the film. She attended workshops for the song "Dhol Baaje" and learnt classical dance steps from the veteran choreographer Saroj Khan. As per reports, she also had to bath with 100 litres of milk for a scene in the film.
|Ek Paheli Leela|
|Soundtrack album by Dr. Zeus, Meet Bros Anjjan and Amaal Mallik|
|Released||10 March 2015|
|Recorded||Meet Bros Recording Studio|
|Genre||Feature Film Soundtrack|
|Singles from Ek Paheli Leela|
The music for the film is composed by Dr. Zeus, Amaal Mallik, Meet Bros Anjjan, Tony Kakkar and Uzair Jaswal with lyrics penned by Kumaar, Manoj Muntashir and Tony Kakkar. The background score is composed by Mannan Munjal. The soundtrack comprises 9 songs. Ensemble singers like Tulsi Kumar, Arijit Singh, Kanika Kapoor, Monali Thakur, Meet Bros Anjjan, Mohit Chauhan, Neha Kakkar and Pakistani singer Uzair Jaswal have lent their voices for the film. The first song titled "Desi Look" was released as single on 19 February 2015. The full soundtrack album was released on 10 March 2015.
|1.||"Desi Look"||Kumaar||Dr. Zeus||Kanika Kapoor||3:27|
|2.||"Tere Bin Nahi Laage (Male Version)|
(Recreation of Original Version)"
(Recreated by Amaal Mallik)
|3.||"Saiyaan Superstar"||Kumaar||Amaal Mallik||Tulsi Kumar||4:10|
|4.||"Khuda Bhi"||Manoj Muntashir||Tony Kakkar||Mohit Chauhan||5:03|
|5.||"Glamorous Ankhiyaan"||Kumaar||Meet Bros Anjjan||Meet Bros Anjjan, Krishna Beura||4:54|
|6.||"Main Hoon Deewana Tera |
(Recreation of Sonu Nigam's 1999 song)"
|Kumaar||Meet Bros Anjjan|
(Recreation of Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam's song)"
|Kumaar||Meet Bros Anjjan|
|Meet Bros Anjjan, Monali Thakur||5:37|
|8.||"Tere Bin Nahi Laage (Female Version)"||Kumaar||Uzair Jaswal|
(Recreated by Amaal Mallik)
|Aishwarya Majmudar, Tulsi Kumar, Alamgir Khan||4:31|
|9.||"Ek Do Teen Chaar"||Tony Kakkar||Tony Kakkar||Neha Kakkar, Tony Kakkar||3:13|
The soundtrack of Ek Paheli Leela received generally positive review from the music critics. Critic Rajiv Vijayakar from Bollywood Hungama gave the album a rating of 3 stars out of 5 and felt, "Some tracks will help the film, some will be helped by the film, but the rest are largely fillers. With four of the nine tracks being re-creations, the score gets a fillip in theory. " Kasmin Fernandes of The Times Of India gave a rating of 4 and commented, "The originals stand out more than adaptations here." Joginder Tuteja of Rediff gave three stars, and commented, "The music of Ek Paheli Leela has a good mix of party and romantic numbers. It's the original numbers in the soundtrack that do better than the adapted versions. Play this one when you want some variety; it has a good mix of party and romantic numbers." BizAsia gave a rating of 7.5 out of 10 to the album summarizing it as, "This album has the elements for an all-round entertainer designed and composed for the masses around the world using the best hit making formulas in the current industry... including recreating old hits." Glamsham awarded the album 3.5 stars out of 5 and stated, "Summing up, the audio of T-Series' Ek Paheli Leela meets the expectations with some potential chart toppers like 'Desi Look', 'Tere Bin Nahi Laage' and 'Saiyyan Superstar'. The 'getting popular' audio should aid the cause of this musical love saga, when Ek Paheli Leela releases all over this April." Radioandmusic.com called the album "a mixed one". Surabhi Redkar from Koimoi gave 2 stars and felt, "The music album of Ek Paheli Leela is not exactly a hit one. It has only certain songs that are worth listening" while picking "Tere Bin (Male)", "Khuda Bhi" and "Ek Do Teen as the best ones.
|Ek Paheli Leela Remix|
|Remix album to Ek Paheli Leela Remix by DJ Chetas|
|Released||26 March 2015|
A remix album was made by DJ Chetas and was released on T-Series YouTube on 26 March 2015.
|1.||"Glamorous Ankhiyaan (MBA Swag)"||Kumaar||DJ Chetas||Meet Bros Anjjan, Krishna Beura||4:56|
|2.||"Main Hoon Deewana Tera (MBA Swag)"||Kumaar||DJ Chetas||Arijit Singh||3:39|
|3.||"Desi Look (Remix)"||Kumaar||DJ Chetas||Kanika Kapoor||4:02|
|4.||"Saiyaan Superstar (Remix)"||Kumaar||DJ Chetas||Tulsi Kumar||3:22|
|5.||"Tere Bin Nahi Laage Remix (Male Version)"||Kumaar||DJ Chetas||Uzair Jaswal||3:21|
|6.||"Khuda Bhi (Remix)"||Manoj Muntashir||DJ Chetas||Mohit Chauhan||4:38|
|7.||"Ek Do Teen Chaar (Remix)"||Tony Kakkar||DJ Chetas||Neha Kakkar, Tony Kakkar||2:53|
The film was released on 10 April 2015 with estimated occupancy of 20% with greater occupancy in single screens than multiplexes. On its opening day it collected ₹53.0 million (US$740,000) beating the opening day collections of films like NH10, Shamitabh and Detective Byomkesh Bakshy. On its second day, it collected around ₹52.0 million (US$720,000) taking its total to ₹105 million (US$1.5 million). The film showed further growth on its third day as it collected ₹53.5 million (US$750,000) nett to take its first weekend total to around ₹160 million (US$2.2 million) nett.
Till its second weekend, it managed to collect ₹243 million (US$3.4 million) nett. At the end of its theatrical run, Ek Paheli Leela grossed around ₹275 million (US$3.8 million) nett.
The Times of India gave the film 3 stars out of 5 and described the film as "colourful, crisp and convivial". Bollywood Hungama gave the film 3.5 stars out of 5 and praised the film's cinematography, direction, screenplay and stated, "On the whole, Ek Paheli Leela is worth watching, purely because of Sunny Leone and the way she has been presented... like never before!!!" DNA India gave the film 2 stars and applauded Sunny's transfromation of two characters and film's music while stating that, "Sunny Leone fans will be in for a royal treat. If Sunny Leone gets your temperature rising then Leela won't disappoint. The New Indian Express gave the film three and a half stars praising film's narration and stated, "Stunningly mounted and sumptuously narrated, "Ek Paheli Leela" is a feast for the senses. Basha Lal's camera caresses Ms Leone's assets and the sand dunes of Jaisalmer with equal affection. It may not be revolutionary in concept or path-breaking in execution. But make no mistake. "Ek Paheli Leela" is the surprise of the year.
Mid Day called it "semi-porn rubbish", while IBNLive gave it 1.5 stars stating that the dialog was full of crude sexual jokes and that it was "soft porn" emphasising the short skirts of the women and the physique of the men. The Hindustan Times said the film had a " ludicrous script" and "wooden" acting. India Today praised the cinematography and Leone's dancing. Mumbai Mirror called it " an insincere, lavish and titillating compilation of every item song ever made." Rediff stated although the film was poorly written and had many flaws in its execution, it succeeded at its purpose of being a one-woman show to highlight Leone. Indian Express gave the film zero stars stating "all this film wants to do is to exploit its leading lady's awe-inspiring stack... From as many angles as possible, the closer the better". NDTV called it a "vapid yarn about love, desire and obsession unfolds against good-looking backgrounds".
- "EK PAHELI LEELA (A)". Central Board of Film Certification. Retrieved 4 April 2015.
- Box Office Predictions: Ek Paheli Leela, Dharam Sankat Mein. Koimoi.com (9 April 2015). Retrieved on 2015-07-14.
- "Lifetime Business & Economics of EK PAHELI LEELA". Box Office Capsule. 29 April 2015.
- Sunny Leone to play princess in Leela. BollywoodHungama.com (13 June 2014). Retrieved on 2015-07-14.
- Geety Sahgal (20 February 2016). "Sunny Leone's Ek Paheli Leela is a reincarnation story". The Indian Express.
- "Sunny's 'Ek Paheli Leela' trailer most viewed on YouTube". The Times of India. 10 April 2015.
- "Sunny Leone's Ek Paheli Leela: 5 things so absurd you can't miss them"
- "Viewers Bowled over by Sunny Leone's Glamour"
- "Sunny Leone was only choice for Leela: Bobby Khan". The Times of India. 22 March 2015.
- When A-List Actors Refused to Work with Sunny Leone in 'Ek Paheli Leela' for Being Former Adult Star. M.ibtimes.co.in (29 March 2015). Retrieved on 2015-07-14.
- Hiren Kotwani (6 April 2015). "Ek Paheli Leela actor Mohit Ahlawat gets a new lease". The Times of India.
- "Sunny Leone sports various avatars in 'Ek Paheli Leela'". The Times of India. 8 April 2015.
- "'Ek Paheli Leela' is shot at iconic locations of Rajasthan". The Indian Express. 26 March 2015. Retrieved 24 February 2016.
- "Sunny Leone gets skin infection on the sets of 'Ek Paheli Leela'". The Indian Express. 17 March 2015. Retrieved 24 February 2016.
- "Saroj Khan takes a special workshop for Sunny Leone in Leela". Bollywood Hungama. 12 January 2015.
- Kaushal, Ruchi (9 April 2015). "Sunny Leone'€™s Ek Paheli Leela: Interesting facts". The Times of India.
- Coutinho, Natasha (4 February 2015) Fifty shades of Sunny Leone. asianage.com
- Ek Paheli Leela 2015 Movie News, Wallpapers, Songs & Videos. Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved on 14 July 2015.
- "Ek Paheli Leela song Desi Look: Sunny Leone scorching hot number is addictive!". Bollywood Life. 19 February 2015.
- "Desi Look (From "Ek Paheli Leela") - Single by Dr. Zeus & Kanika Kapoor on iTunes". iTunes Store. 20 February 2015.
- "Ek Paheli Leela (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) by Dr. Zeus, Uzair Jaswal, Amaal Mallik, Tony Kakkar & Meet Bros Anjjan on iTunes". iTunes Store. 10 March 2015.
- Rafat (26 March 2015). "Ek Paheli Leela music review". Glamsham.com.
- Redkar, Surabhi. "Ek Paheli Leela Music Review". Koimoi. Archived from the original on 8 April 2015. Retrieved 6 April 2015.
- "Ek Paheli Leela Remix by Various Artists on iTunes". iTunes Store. 26 March 2015.
- Sunny Leone starrer ‘Ek Paheli Leela’ box office collections get off to slow start. The Financial Express (11 April 2015). Retrieved on 2015-07-14.
- Ek Paheli Leela Opens To A Low Occupancy At The Box Office. Koimoi.com (10 April 2015). Retrieved on 2015-07-14.
- Sunny Leone’s 'Ek Paheli Leela' earns around Rs 19 crore nett in 10 days – The Times of India. Timesofindia.indiatimes.com (20 April 2015). Retrieved on 2015-07-14.
- "Ek Paheli Leela trounces NH10, Shamitabh in opening-day collection". India Today. 12 April 2015.
- "Sunny Leone's Ek Paheli Leela earns Rs 16 cr in first three days". India Today. 13 April 2015.
- "Sunny Leone's Ek Paheli Leela box office collections better than expected at Rs 24.28 cr". The Financial Express. 19 April 2015.
- "Ek Paheli Leela Movie Review". The Times of India. 10 April 2015. Retrieved 13 February 2016.
- "Ek Paheli Leela Review". Bollywood Hungama. 10 April 2015. Retrieved 13 February 2016.
- Tushar Joshi (11 April 2015). "'Ek Paheli Leela' review: Sunny Leone fans in for a royal treat!". DNA India. Retrieved 13 February 2016.
- IANS (10 April 2015). "'Ek Paheli Leela': A Voluptuous Fairy Tale". The New Indian Express.
- Shetty-Saha, Shubha (10 April 2015) 'Ek Paheli Leela' – Movie Review. Mid Day
- 'Ek Paheli Leela' review: It's a dumb film that wears you out – IBNLive. Ibnlive.in.com (11 April 2015). Retrieved on 2015-07-14.
- Ek Paheli Leela review by Anupama Chopra: It's skimpy all around. Hindustantimes.com (11 April 2015). Retrieved on 2015-07-14.
- Ek Paheli Leela review: The real paheli is not Leela's story; it's something else : Reviews, News – India Today. Indiatoday.intoday.in (10 April 2015). Retrieved on 2015-07-14.
- Film review: Ek Paheli Leela. Mumbai Mirror (11 April 2015). Retrieved on 2015-07-14.
- Review: Ek Paheli Leela is Sunny Leone's show. Rediff.com (10 April 2015). Retrieved on 2015-07-14.
- Gupta, Shubhra (11 April 2015) ‘Ek Paheli Leela’ review: All the movie wants to do is exploit Sunny Leone. Indian Express
- Ek Paheli Leela Movie Review – NDTV Movies. Movies.ndtv.com (10 April 2015). Retrieved on 2015-07-14.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ek Paheli Leela.|
- Ek Paheli Leela on IMDb
- Ek Paheli Leela at Bollywood Hungama
- Ek Paheli Leela on iTunes
- Ek Paheli Leela at Google Play