Eka Kurniawan (born in November 28, 1975) is an Indonesian writer and graphic designer.
He was born in Tasikmalaya, West Java, and grew up in a small coastal town Pangandaran. He studied philosophy at Gadjah Mada University, Yogyakarta. He writes novels, short stories, movie scripts, and blog, as well as essays. His works are translated into more than 24 languages. His novel, Beauty is a Wound, was included in the list of 100 notable books by The New York Times. The use of Magic realism in the book has led to comparisons to Gabriel García Márquez. Kurniawan has insisted that Beauty is a Wound is neither a historical novel nor a book about Indonesian history. Kurniawan's style of "approaching social concerns at an angle rather than head-on, with hefty doses of surrealism and wry humour" also draws comparisons to Haruki Murakami. He has been described as "Indonesia’s finest writer since Pramoedya Ananta Toer".
Awards and honours
- 2015 Foreign Policy's Global Thinkers of 2015 "for pinning Indonesian literature on the map."
- 2015 IKAPI's Book of the Year for Man Tiger.
- 2016 World Readers' Award (Winner) for Beauty Is a Wound.
- 2016 The Man Booker International Prize (Longlist) for Man Tiger.
- 2016 Best Translated Book Award (Fiction Longlist) for Beauty Is a Wound.
- 2016 Financial Times/OppenheimerFunds Emerging Voices (Winner for Fiction Category) for Man Tiger.
- 2018 Prince Claus Award 
List of works
- Cantik Itu Luka (2002). Yogyakarta: AKYPress & Penerbit Jendela. Reissued, 2004, Jakarta: Gramedia Pustaka Utama.
- Lelaki Harimau (2004). Jakarta: Gramedia Pustaka Utama.
- Seperti Dendam, Rindu Harus Dibayar Tuntas (2014). Jakarta: Gramedia Pustaka Utama.
- O (2016). Jakarta: Gramedia Pustaka Utama.
- Short stories
- Corat-coret di Toilet (2000). Yogyakarta: Yayasan Aksara Indonesia. Reissued 2014, Jakarta: Gramedia Pustaka Utama.
- Gelak Sedih dan Cerita-cerita Lainnya (2005). Jakarta: Gramedia Pustaka Utama.
- Cinta Tak Ada Mati dan Cerita-cerita Lainnya (2005). Jakarta: Gramedia Pustaka Utama.
- Kumpulan Budak Setan (2010, with Intan Paramaditha and Ugoran Prasad). Jakarta: Gramedia Pustaka Utama.
- Perempuan Patah Hati yang Kembali Menemukan Cinta Melalui Mimpi (2015). Yogyakarta: Bentang Pustaka.
- Pramoedya Ananta Toer dan Sastra Realisme Sosialis (1999). Yogyakarta: Yayasan Aksara Indonesia. Reissued 2002, Yogyakarta: Penerbit Jendela. Reissued 2006, Jakarta: Gramedia Pustaka Utama.
- Beauty Is a Wound [Original title: Cantik itu Luka] Translated by Annie Tucker. (US, New Directions Publishing, 2015; ANZ, Text Publishing, 2015; Indian Subcontinent, Speaking Tiger, 2016; UK, Pushkin Press, 2016.)
- Man Tiger [Original title: Lelaki Harimau] Translated by Labodalih Sembiring. (US/UK, Verso Books, 2015; Indian Subcontinent, Speaking Tiger, 2016.)
- Vengeance Is Mine, All Others Pay Ca$h [Original title: Seperti Dendam, Rindu Harus Dibayar Tuntas] Translated by Annie Tucker. (US, New Directions Books, 2017. ANZ, Text Publishing, 2017. UK, Pushkin Press, 2017. Indian Subcontinent, Speaking Tiger, 2017.)
- "Burning bright". The Economist. Retrieved 2017-04-17.
- "The secrets of Indonesia's finest novelist". The Economist. 13 July 2017. Retrieved 14 July 2017.
- Rondonuwu, Olivia (14 April 2016). "High hopes for Indonesian author vying for Man Booker glory". Taipei Times. Agence France Presse. Retrieved 15 April 2016.
- "The Leading Global Thinkers of 2015 - Foreign Policy". Retrieved 2016-01-23.
- "Author Eka Kurniawan Receives Inaugural World Readers' Award - Jakarta Globe". Retrieved 2016-03-25.
- "The Man Booker International Prize 2016 Longlist Announced". Retrieved 2016-07-30.
- "Three Percent: 2016 BTBA Fiction Longlist". Retrieved 2016-07-30.
- "Eka Kurniawan, winner, Emerging Voices 2016 Fiction Award — FT.com". Retrieved 2016-10-02.
- "Prince Claus Awards, Meet Our Laureates". Retrieved 2018-09-08.
- "New Directions Publishing Company - Beauty Is a Wound". New Directions Publishing Company. Retrieved 2016-01-23.
- "Beauty Is a Wound, book by Eka Kurniawan - Text Publishing". Text Publishing. Retrieved 2016-02-13.
- "Beauty Is a Wound". Speaking Tiger. Retrieved 2016-02-13.
- "Beauty Is a Wound". Pushkin Press. Retrieved 2016-02-13.
- "VersoBooks.com". www.versobooks.com. Retrieved 2016-01-23.
- "Love and Vengeance". Pontas Agency. Retrieved 2016-01-23.
|This article about an Indonesian writer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|