|Headquarters||57 Sohrawardi Avenue, Baridhara, Dhaka|
|Picture format||1080i HDTV (downscaled to 16:9 576i for SDTV sets)|
|Owner||Meghna Group of Industries|
|Launched||21 June 2012|
|Genre||News (In Bengali)|
|Total views||2.20 billion|
Last updated: 30 Jan 2023
Ekattor TV (Bengali: একাত্তর; lit. 'seventy-one', in reference to the 1971 War) is a Bangladeshi Bengali-language satellite and cable news television channel owned by the Meghna Group of Industries, commencing transmissions on 21 June 2012, as Bangladesh's first news-oriented television channel broadcasting in full HD. In 2023, Rumor Scanner, a fact-checking organization, listed Ekattor TV as the fifth biggest publisher of fake news in Bangladesh. The channel broadcasts from its headquarters in the Sohrawardi Avenue of Baridhara.
After the change of political power in 2009, Mozammel Hossain sold half of the shares owned by himself and his relatives in the name of Mustafa Kamal and his one son and two daughters in Meghna Group.
Ekattor received its broadcasting license from the Bangladesh Telecommunication Regulatory Commission, along with several other privately owned Bangladeshi television channels, on 20 October 2009. It was officially launched on 21 June 2012 by former chairman Fazlul Haque Khan, with its slogan being "Sangbad Noy Songjog" (সংবাদ নয় সংযোগ; lit. 'Connection, not news'), as the fourth news-oriented television channel in Bangladesh. Ekattor was one of the nine Bangladeshi television channels to sign an agreement with Bdnews24.com to subscribe to a video-based news agency run by children called Prism in May 2016.
In July 2017, Ekattor, along with four other television channels in Bangladesh, signed an agreement with UNICEF to air children's programming for one minute. In December 2018, Ekattor began broadcasting using the Bangabandhu-1 satellite. On 13 August 2022, Ekattor broadcast a meeting regarding global energy crisis and the challenges of Bangladesh live.
Controversies and boycotts
In 2017, Ekattor's website was hacked by Islamists who demanded "atheist media" to halt all "anti-Islam" activities. Ekattor was accused of airing "anti-social" news reports and Nurul Haq Nur even called for a boycott of the channel in 2020, which was condemned by Editors Guild Bangladesh. Bangladeshi Islamic scholars, such as Mizanur Rahman Azhari, also called for a boycott of Ekattor as it was accused of airing anti-Islam content.
- "About Ekattor TV". YouTube.
- "TOTAL SUBSCRIBERS & VIDEO VIEW MONTHLY GRAPHS FOR EKATTOR TV".
- Biswas, Sailendra (2000). "Samsad Bengali-English dictionary. 3rd ed". Calcutta: Sahitya Samsad. p. 969.
- "Media". Meghna Group of Industries. Retrieved 3 December 2021.
- "Fact-checkers find no New Age report as fake". New Age. Retrieved 17 April 2023.
- বিক্রি হয়ে যাচ্ছে টিভি চ্যানেলের মালিকানা. Prothom Alo (in Bengali). Retrieved 2022-04-11.
- অনুমোদনের অপেক্ষায় আরো ১৩ টিভি. BDNews24 (in Bengali). 25 November 2013. Retrieved 9 June 2022.
- ২১ জুন পূর্ণাঙ্গ সম্প্রচারে আসছে একাত্তর টিভি. BanglaNews24 (in Bengali). 18 June 2012. Retrieved 20 June 2022.
- পূর্ণ সমপ্রচারে একাত্তর টিভি [Ekattor TV is fully on-air]. BD Sangbad 24 (in Bengali). 21 June 2012. Archived from the original on 21 June 2014. Retrieved 6 January 2016.
- "Ekattor TV's founder Fazlul Haque passes away". Dhaka Tribune. 9 March 2016. Retrieved 3 December 2021.
- "Prism signs up with 7 TV channels". BDNews24. 17 May 2016. Retrieved 1 November 2022.
- আরও ৫ টিভিতে শিশুদের জন্য এক মিনিট. Samakal (in Bengali). 18 July 2017. Retrieved 12 June 2022.
- বঙ্গবন্ধু-১ স্যাটেলাইট থেকে সেবা নিচ্ছে সাত চ্যানেল. Jagonews24.com (in Bengali). 26 December 2018. Retrieved 18 June 2022.
- 'বিশ্ব জ্বালানি সংকট ও বাংলাদেশের চ্যালেঞ্জ' শীর্ষক গোলটেবিল বৈঠক শুরু. Bangla Tribune (in Bengali). 13 August 2022. Retrieved 14 August 2022.
- "Ekattor TV website hacked". The Daily Star. 3 August 2017. Retrieved 3 December 2021.
- "Editors Guild condemns VP Nur's call to boycott media including 71 TV". The Asian Age. 15 October 2020. Retrieved 20 May 2022.
- নূরের একাত্তর টিভি বর্জন, একাত্তরের মিথ্যাচারের অভিযোগ. Deutsche Welle (in Bengali). 15 October 2020. Retrieved 13 December 2021.
- একাত্তর টিভিকে বয়কট করুন : আজহারী. Daily Inqilab (in Bengali). 14 October 2020. Retrieved 13 December 2021.
- Ahad, Saiduzzaman (16 October 2020). একাত্তর টিভি বয়কটের হিড়িক ও হিপোক্রেসির বাম্পার ফলন. Egiye Cholo (in Bengali). Retrieved 3 April 2022.
- ২ জুলাই, মঙ্গলবার. BDNews24 (in Bengali). 1 July 2013. Retrieved 26 December 2022.
- Sameer Kumar Dey (23 October 2018). 'বিশ্বের সাতটি টক শো'র একটি তৃতীয় মাত্রা'. Deutsche Welle (in Bengali). Retrieved 4 September 2022.
- এবার মাশরাফির প্রশ্ন, বিসিবি কি আমার ফিটনেসের তথ্য রাখে. Samakal (in Bengali). 23 March 2021. Retrieved 16 August 2022.