Ekolot JK 01A Elf
|JK 01A Elf|
|First flight||8 July 2006|
€22,000 (assembled, 2011)
The Ekolot JK 01A Elf is a Polish mid-wing, single-seat motor glider, designed by Jerzy Krawczyk, produced by Ekolot of Krosno and provided as a complete ready-to-fly aircraft or as a kit for amateur construction.
Design and development
The JK 01A Elf was designed by Krawczyk, based on the earlier work of American designer Alex Strojnikun. It features cantilever wings, a single-seat enclosed cockpit under a bubble canopy, fixed landing gear and a single engine in pusher configuration.
The aircraft is made from composites. Its 11.12 m (36.5 ft) span wing has an area of 10.80 m2 (116.3 sq ft), flaperons and provides a glide ratio of 26:1. The standard engine used was a 20 hp (15 kW) JPX D-320 two-stroke, but this engine is no longer available and any small horizontally-opposed engine in the 20 hp (15 kW) range can be used. An engine of this power provides a takeoff run of 150 m (492.1 ft). The propeller used has a folding design to reduce drag and the fuel tank fitted has a volume of 15 litres (3.3 imp gal; 4.0 US gal). The landing gear uses dual, close-set mainwheels and a smaller nosewheel, with no wingtip wheels
The company provides complete ready-to-fly aircraft and kits which offer the aircraft in various states of completion.
The first flight was made on 8 July 2006. There is no evidence of production beyond 2007/8.
Specifications (JK 01A Elf)
- Crew: one
- Length: 5.65 m (18 ft 6 in)
- Wingspan: 11.12 m (36 ft 6 in)
- Height: 1.92 m (6 ft 4 in)
- Wing area: 10.80 m2 (116.3 sq ft)
- Empty weight: 52 kg (115 lb) including ballistic parachute
- Gross weight: 230 kg (507 lb)
- Fuel capacity: 15 litres (3.3 imp gal; 4.0 US gal)
- Powerplant: 1 × JPX D-320 two cylinder, air-cooled, two stroke aircraft engine, 15 kW (20 hp)
- Propellers: 2-bladed floding composite
- Cruising speed: 110 km/h (68 mph; 59 kn)
- Stall speed: 42 km/h (26 mph; 23 kn)
- Never exceed speed: 125 km/h (78 mph; 67 kn)
- Maximum glide ratio: 26:1
- Rate of climb: 2.5 m/s (490 ft/min)
- Rate of sink: 0.6 m/s (120 ft/min)
- Wing loading: 21.3 kg/m2 (4.4 lb/sq ft)
- Bayerl, Robby; Martin Berkemeier; et al: World Directory of Leisure Aviation 2011-12, page 135. WDLA UK, Lancaster UK, 2011. ISSN 1368-485X
- Gunston, Bill (2015). Jane's All the World's Aircraft : development & production : 2015-16. IHS Global. p. 499. ISBN 978-0-7106-3135-0.
- Ekolot (28 September 2008). "Technical data of JK 01A Elf". Retrieved 8 December 2012.