7 June 1975|
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
|Occupation||Television producer, Joint MD of Balaji Telefilms|
Shobha Kapoor (mother)
|Relatives||Tusshar Kapoor (brother)|
Early life and education
Ekta Kapoor is the daughter of actors Jeetendra and Shobha Kapoor. Her younger brother Tusshar Kapoor is also a Bollywood actor. She went to school at Bombay Scottish School, Mahim and attended college at Mithibai College.
Ekta Kapoor started her career aged 17, interning with ad and feature filmmaker Kailash Surendranath, until after obtaining financing from her father, she decided to become a producer. She ventured into Bollywood movie production in 2001 beginning with Kyo Kii... Main Jhuth Nahin Bolta, Kucch To Hai and Krishna Cottage based on supernatural themes followed in 2003 and 2004. Kyaa Kool Hai Hum starred her brother Tusshar Kapoor. She then went on to co-produce Shootout at Lokhandwala with Sanjay Gupta. Mission Istanbul and EMI – Liya Hai Toh Chukana Padhega in collaboration with Sunil Shetty followed.
In 2010 to 2014 she released a number of films including Love Sex aur Dhokha, Once Upon a Time in Mumbaai, and Shor in the City. She says at one point she had lost confidence in herself after her films flopped one after another, and so was initially not sure about producing Half Girlfriend.
She has produced numerous soap opera, television series and movies. Some soap operas she has worked on include Hum Paanch, Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi, Kahaani Ghar Ghar Ki, Kaahin Kissii Roz, Kasautii Zindagii Kay, Pavitra Rishta, Bade Acche Lagte Hain, and Jodha Akbar. Kapoor has also produced the television series Naagin, Ye Hai Mohabbatein, Kumkum Bhagya, Chandrakanta (2017 TV series), Kasam Tere Pyaar Ki and Kundali Bhagya, and several others that were credited with starting a new wave on Indian television, leading to her becoming known as the "Czarina of television" and "the Queen of India TV".
Kapoor has also launched 40 web TV series online through her digital app ALTBalaji.
She has also launched her fashion series with EK Label.
The following is the list of Television shows produced by Kapoor under her banner Balaji Telefilms.
Note: Television series in bold are the shows presently on air.
- 1995: Padosan
- 1995: Captain House
- 1995: Mano Ya Na Mano
- 1995: Hum Paanch (season 1)
- 1999: Bandhan
- 1999: Kanyadaan
- 2000: Itihaas
- 2000: Kaun
- 2000: Kasam
- 2000: Kashti
- 2000: Kavita
- 2000: Kundali
- 2000: Koshish... Ek Aasha
- 2000: Ghar Ek Mandir
- 2000: Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi
- 2000: Kahaani Ghar Ghar Kii
- 2001: Kitne Kool Hai Hum
- 2001: Kuch Khona Hai Kuch Pana Hai
- 2001: Kaleerein
- 2001: Karam
- 2001: Kabhii Sautan Kabhii Sahelii
- 2001: Kkusum
- 2001: Kohi Apna Sa
- 2001: Kalash
- 2001: Kutumb
- 2001: Kaahin Kissii Roz
- 2001: Kasautii Zindagii Kay
- 2002: Hum Paanch (season 2)
- 2002: Kya Hadsaa Kya Haqeeqat
- 2002: Kuchh Jhuki Palkain
- 2002: Kammal
- 2002: Kahi To Milenge
- 2003: Kahani Terrii Merrii
- 2003: Kayaamat
- 2003: Kahiin to Hoga
- 2003: Kkoi Dil Mein Hai
- 2004: Kaarthika
- 2004: Kosmic Chat
- 2004: Kalki
- 2004: Karma
- 2004: Kyaa Kahein
- 2004: Kitni Mast Hai Zindagi
- 2004: Kkehna Hai Kuch Mujhko
- 2004: K. Street Pali Hill
- 2004: Kesar
- 2005: Hum Paanch Tadka Mar Ke
- 2005: Kkavyanjali
- 2005: Kaisa Ye Pyar Hai
- 2006: Kandy Floss
- 2006: Kyaa Hoga Nimmo Kaa
- 2006: Thodi Si Zameen Thoda Sa Aasmaan
- 2006: Kasamh Se
- 2006: Karam Apnaa Apnaa
- 2007: Kahe Naa Kahe
- 2007: Khwaish
- 2007: Kuchh Is Tara
- 2007: Kayamath
- 2007: Kasturi
- 2007: Kya Dill Mein Hai
- 2008: Kaun Jeetega Bollywood Ka Ticket
- 2008: Kahaani Hamaaray Mahaabhaarat Ki
- 2008: Kabhi Kabhii Pyaar Kabhi Kabhii Yaar
- 2008: Kis Desh Mein Hai Meraa Dil
- 2008: Tujh Sang Preet Lagai Sajna
- 2009: Koi Aane Ko Hai
- 2009: Kitani Mohabbat Hai (season 1)
- 2009: Bandini
- 2009: Bairi Piya
- 2009: Bayttaab Dil Kee Tamanna Hai
- 2009: Pyaar Ka Bandhan
- 2009: Pavitra Rishta
- 2010: Sarvggun Sampanna
- 2010: Tere Liye
- 2010: Kitani Mohabbat Hai (season 2)
- 2010: Pyaar Kii Ye Ek Kahaani
- 2011: Parichay – Nayee Zindagi Kay Sapno Ka
- 2011: Bade Achhe Lagte Hain
- 2012: Kya Huaa Tera Vaada
- 2012: Gumrah: End of Innocence
- 2012: Gumrah (season 2)
- 2012: V The Serial
- 2013: Confessions of an Indian Teenager
- 2013: Ek Thhi Naayka
- 2013: Savdhaan India
- 2013: Gumrah (season 3)
- 2013: MTV Webbed (season 1)
- 2013: Jodha Akbar
- 2013: Pavitra Bandhan
- 2013: Ye Hai Mohabbatein
- 2014: MTV Webbed (season 2)
- 2014: Meri Aashiqui Tum Se Hi
- 2014: Kumkum Bhagya
- 2014: Gumrah (season 4)
- 2014: Yeh Dil Sun Raha Hai
- 2014: Box Cricket League (season 1)
- 2014: Ajeeb Daastaan Hai Ye
- 2014: Itna Karo Na Mujhe Pyaar
- 2015: Kasam Tere Pyaar Ki
- 2015: Kalash - Ek Vishwaas
- 2015: Nach Baliye 7
- 2015: Gumrah (season 5)
- 2015: Kuch Toh Hai Tere Mere Darmiyaan
- 2015: Pyaar Ko Ho Jaane Do
- 2015: Yeh Kahan Aa Gaye Hum
- 2015: Naagin (season 1)
- 2016: Box Cricket League (season 2)
- 2016: Mazaak Mazaak Mein
- 2016: Kavach...Kaali Shaktiyon Se
- 2016: Brahmarakshas - Jaag Utha Shaitaan
- 2016: Naagin (season 2)
- 2016: Pardes Mein Hai Meraa Dil
- 2016: Chandra Nandini
- 2017: Dhhai Kilo Prem
- 2017: Kundali Bhagya
- 2017: Chandrakanta — Ek Mayavi Prem Gaatha
- 2017: Box Cricket League (season 3)
- 2018: Naagin (season 3)
- 2018: Dil Hi Toh Hai
- 2018: Qayamat Ki Raat
- 2018: Kasautii Zindagii Kay
- 2001: Kyo Kii... Main Jhuth Nahin Bolta
- 2003: Kucch To Hai
- 2004: Krishna Cottage
- 2005: Kyaa Kool Hai Hum
- 2005: Koi Aap Sa
- 2007: Shootout at Lokhandwala
- 2008: Mission Istanbul
- 2008: C Kkompany
- 2008: EMI – Liya Hai Toh Chukana Parega
- 2010: Love Sex aur Dhokha
- 2010: Once Upon a Time in Mumbaai
- 2011: Taryanche Bait
- 2011: Shor in the City
- 2011: Ragini MMS
- 2011: The Dirty Picture
- 2012: Kyaa Super Kool Hai Hum
- 2013: Ek Thi Daayan
- 2013: Shootout at Wadala
- 2013: Lootera
- 2013: Once Upon a Time In Mumbaai Dobara
- 2014: Shaadi Ke Side Effects
- 2014: Ragini MMS 2
- 2014: Main Tera Hero
- 2014: Kuku Mathur Ki Jhand Ho Gayi
- 2014: Ek Villain — There's one in every love story
- 2016: Kyaa Kool Hain Hum 3
- 2016: Azhar
- 2016: Udta Punjab
- 2016: Great Grand Masti
- 2016: A Flying Jatt
- 2017: Half Girlfriend
- 2017: Super Singh
- 2018: Veere Di Wedding
- 2018: Laila Majnu
- 2018: Mental Hai Kya
- 2019: Jabariya Jodi
- 2019; Dolly Kitty Aur Woh Chamakte Sitare
- 2019: Kurein
- Maya Thirrai
- Romil & Jugal
- Bewafaa sii Wafaa
- Karrle Tu Bhi Mohabbat
- Dev DD
- The Test Case
- Class of 2017
- Pammi Aunty
- Ragini MMS: Returns
- Bose: Dead/Alive
- Dhimaner Dinkaal
- Haq Se
- Kehne Ko Humsafar Hain
- PM Selfiewallie
- Galti Se Mis-Tech
- Gandii Baat
- Hum - I'm Because of Us
Awards and honours
Kapoor also works on script writing, creative conversion and concept building. Having been chosen as one of 50 of ‘Asia’s Most Powerful Communicators’ by Asia Week magazine in 2001, she has helped launch the careers of many actors and actresses.
She was chosen to lead the Confederation of Indian Industries (CII) entertainment committee. The other awards she received are; The Society Achiever Award and The Best Entrepreneur of the Year 2001.
She is one of the most powerful ladies in industry as well as is regarded as one of the most powerful 25 ladies in India.
Kapoor has also received awards as the producer of Balaji Telefilms. These include the Indian Television Academy Awards, Indian Telly Awards, Kalakar Awards, Asian Television Awards, Apsara Awards, Zee Rishtay Awards, Star Parivaar Awards, 3rd Boroplus Awards, New Talent Awards, BIG Star Entertainment Awards, 4th Boroplus Awards, GR8! Women Awards, Asia’s Social Empowerment Awards, Lions Gold Awards, Stardust Awards, Screen Awards, Pune International Film Festival, Zee Gaurav Puraskar, National Media Network Film and TV Awards, the Global Indian Film and TV Honors, Dadasaheb Phalke Academy Awards, and ETC Bollywood Business Awards.
- "PICS: Ekta Kapoor's 41st birthday bash". The Times of India. 8 June 2016. Retrieved 11 June 2016.
- Bajaj, Simran (7 June 2016). "Happy birthday Ekta Kapoor: 6 things to remind you why she is a big deal". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 7 June 2016.
- Sabharwal, Rahul (21 January 2010). "Meet the 'real' Ekta Kapoor". Hindustan Times. Archived from the original on 25 January 2010. Retrieved 31 January 2010.
- "Ekta Kapoor springs a surprise". The Hindu. 1 July 2002. Retrieved 31 January 2010.
- "Ekta Kapoor & family take pay cut". The Hindu. 2 October 2009. Archived from the original on 9 March 2010. Retrieved 31 January 2010.
- "Ekta Kapoor- Joint Managing Director&Creative Director of Balaji Telefilms". IndianBillGates. 16 September 2015. Retrieved 29 August 2017.
- Bajwah, Dimpal (7 June 2017). "From being known as a superstar's daughter to becoming TV's Czarina, here's how Ekta Kapoor's career shaped up". The Times of India. Retrieved 1 July 2018.
- "Half Girlfriend producer Ekta Kapoor: Critics felt it was a melodrama but I'm glad that masses accepted the film". 28 May 2017 – via http://indianexpress.com.
- "Ekta Kapoor's obsession with 'K' was strategy, but not superstition". Filmibeat. Greynium Information Technologies. 20 February 2012. Retrieved 8 August 2012.
- "TV czarina Ekta Kapoor on moving from conservative shows to nonconformist work". India Today. 6 April 2018. Retrieved 1 July 2018.
- "Ekta Kapoor 'swears' she is not queen of TV". The Indian Express. 2 March 2016. Retrieved 1 July 2018.
- "Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi comes to a tragic end". 7 November 2008. Retrieved 11 February 2017.
- "Strike off but channels hold back fresh episodes - Livemint". Retrieved 11 February 2017.
- "Story about in-laws becomes 2nd most watched programme in India after Kaun Banega Crorepati". India Today. 18 December 2000.
- "Sakshi bids farewell to Kahaani Ghar Ghar Kii". www.rediff.com.
- "It is time for Kkusum to go!". www.santabanta.com.
- "MTV's first soap "Kitni Mast Hai Zindagi" rides well". November 22, 2004. Retrieved March 1, 2018.
- "MTV's 'Kitni Mast Hai Zindagi' to bid-adieu on 18 May". May 16, 2005. Retrieved March 1, 2018.
- Ekta Kapoor and Vishal Bhardwaj at the launch of Ek This Naayika
- Review: Ek This Naayika
- Channel V is back with Season 3 of Gumrah
- MTV launches new youth series about web crimes titled MTV Webbed
- "Ekta Kapoor to produce historical love series on Jodha Akbar".
- Balaji Telefilms returns to DD with new prime time offering
- Doordarshan all set to take on private satellites with new content from Balaji
- "Ekta Kapoor launches her new television show Ye Hai Mohabbatein".
- "Another generation leap in Ekta Kapoor's Yeh Hai Mohabbatein?". India Today. 3 October 2016.
- "Divyanka Tripathi dances like there's no tomorrow at the 1000 episodes celebrations of Ye Hai Mohabbatein - Times of India".
- MTV launches second season of MTV Webbed
- Kritika Kamra to host MTV Webbed Season 2
- Colors set to launch Balaji Telefilms next show titled 'Meri Aashiqui Tum Se Hi'
- "Zee TV's Kumkum Bhagya launches on April 15 - Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis". 30 March 2014.
- "Kumkum Bhagya – The Biggest Fiction Launch of 2014 - Times of India".
- Channel V to launch Gumrah Season 4, with Abhay Deol
- Sony Pal to launch a Balaji Telefilms show ‘Yeh Dil Sun Raha Hai’
- New reality format Box Cricket League begins on Sony TV
- Ekta Kapoor: Ajeeb Dastaan Hai Yeh will be an important story in an evolution of TV
- Sony to premiere Balaji's 'Itna Karo Na Mujhe Pyaar' starring Ronit Roy
- "Ssharad & Kratika Look Lovely; Ekta Kapoor Says She Is Not Queen Of TV At Kasam Launch – See Pics". 2 March 2016.
- "Ekta Kapoor 'swears' she is not queen of TV". 2 March 2016.
- Ekta Kapoor's next on Life OK explores faith in God in a new show ‘Kalash – Ek Vishwaas’
- Balaji Telefilms, Kalash Ek Vishwas to go off air
- Balaji Telefilms to produce the seventh season of Nach Baliye, to be aired on Star Plus
- 'Gumrah' Season 5: 'Yeh Hai Mohabbatein' Actor Karan Patel Replaces Karanvir Bohra as New Host
- Star Plus launches Ekta Kapoor's next titled Kuch To Hai Tere Mere Darmiyaan
- Sony to beef up prime time with Ekta Kapoor's new fiction show, ‘Pyaar Ko Ho Jaane Do’
- Balaji's show, Ye Kahan As Gaye Hum on &TV goes off air
- BCL 2016 to air on Colors
- Balaji Telefilms and Life OK’s ‘Mazaak mazaak mein’ brings a comedy war of sorts between Indian states
- "'Kawach... Kaali Shaktiyon Se' gets an extension - Times of India".
- "Mona Singh-Vivek Dahiya Starrer 'Kavach...Kaali Shaktiyon Se' to Go Off-air". 6 November 2016.
- "Zee TV's popular supernatural show Brahmarakshas to go off air". India Today. 11 January 2017.
- "'Brahmarakshas' to end on February 18 - Times of India".
- "Naagin 2 season finale, 25th June 2017 full episode written update: Yamini and Shesha are killed by Ardhanareshwar". 26 June 2017.
- "Why did Rocky kill Shivangi? Naagin 2 climax is ridiculous but might be inspired from Baahubali". India Today. 27 June 2017.
- "Mouni Roy, Karanvir Bohra and Adaa Khan shoot for the last episode of Naagin 2 - Times of India".
- "It's a wrap for Pardes Mein Hai Mera Dil, to be replaced by Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon". www.pinkvilla.com.
- "Ekta Kapoor's Chandra-Nandini is all set to be replaced by Ikyawann, read on - Times of India".
- "Star Dopahar to call it a day, all shows to end on September 30". 8 September 2017.
- "Zee TV launches Kumkum Bhagya's spin-off 'Kundali Bhagya'". www.bestmediaifo.com.
- Chauhan, Soumyata. "Kundali Bhagya Launch: Ekta Kapoor reveals what inspired her to make a spin off of Kumkum Bhagya".
- "Dheeraj Dhoopar starrer Kundali Bhagya becomes the biggest weekday launch since 2016 - Times of India".
- Ekta Kapoor's Chandrakanta to showcase a different story on Colors
- Balaji Telefilms' next Chandrakanta replaces Naagin Season 2 on Colors
- "Box Cricket League Season 3 will surely have Bold and Real content: Ekta Kapoor".
- "Naagin 3: Mouni Roy gets emotional as Ekta Kapoor replaces her with a new face - Times of India".
- "Naagin 3: Rajat Tokas, Karishma Tanna to join the lead 'Naagins' Surbhi Jyoti and Anita Hassanandani in the show".
- Ekta Kapoor's next TV show on Sony Entertainment titled ‘Dil Hi Toh Hai’
- Karan Kundra to play lead in Ekta Kapoor's new show 'Dil Hi Toh Hai'
- Star Plus to launch Balaji Telefilms next, fantasy thriller ‘Qayamat Ki Raat’ on 23 June
- "'Kyaa Kool Hain Hum 3' motion poster: Tusshar Kapoor and Aftab Shivdasani are naughtier beyond imagination - Times of India ►". The Times of India. Retrieved 2018-07-03.
- Ekta Kapoor brings together Varun Dhawan and David Dhawan for Main Ter Hero
- Ekta Kapoor's next film titled Kuku Mathur Ki Jhandh Ho Gayi
- Ekta Kapoor's next with Siddharth Malhotra titled Ek Villain
- Emraan Hashmi roped in for Ekta Kapoor's next on Indian crickter Mohammad Azharuddin
- Ekta Kappoor's Balaji Motion Pictures acquires the rights to co-produce Shahid Kapoor starrer 'Udta Punjab'
- Balaji Motion Pictures to co-produce ‘Masti’ triquel, titled ‘Great Grand Masti’
- Tiger Shroff signs Ekta Kapoor and Remo D’souza’s next film Turbanator
- Mohit Suri, Ekta Kapoor and Chetan Bhagat join hands for ‘Half Girlfriend’
- Diljit Dosanjh to star in Ekta Kapoor’s maiden Punjabi production Super Singh
- Veere Di Wedding: Producer Ekta Kapoor to do this for the first time in 8 year
- Balaji Motion Pictures next Laila Majnu with Imtiyaz Ali
- Kangana's next film with Balaji Motion Pictures titled Mental Hai Kya?
- Siddharth Malhotra to star in Ekta Kapoor's next titled Shotgun Shaadi
- Shree Narayan Singh, Ekta Kapoor to collaborate on biopic of 'Milkman of India' Verghese Kurien based on his autobiography
- "Faceinews.com » ALTBalaji forays into regional space with the launch of original Tamil thriller – Maya Thirrai!". faceinews.com.
- "Ekta Kapoor launches 'ALT Balaji app', to premiere 5 web series today". United News of India. 16 August 2015. Retrieved 12 May 2017.
- "Manraj Singh of Romil and Jugal: Cutting off my hair at 19 was a shock for my mom". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 12 May 2017.
- "WATCH: ALTBalaji's new web series Bewafaa Sii Wafaa explores the possibility of love after marriage". The Times of India. Retrieved 12 May 2017.
- "Ekta Kapoor heading digital, launched 'ALT Balaji Application' in Delhi". The Times of India. Retrieved 12 May 2017.
- "Sakshi Tanwar Talks About Co-Star Ram Kapoor And Web Series Karrle Tu Bhi Mohabbat". CNN-News18. Retrieved 12 May 2017.
- "Dev DD: ALTBalaji's 'female Devdas' likes sex, booze. But is the character truly progressive?". Firstpost. Retrieved 12 May 2017.
- Banan, Aastha (6 May 2017). "'The Test Case' on AltBalaji is worth watching". Mint. Retrieved 12 May 2017.
- "Watch CyberSquad on AltBalaji". Retrieved 23 October 2017.
- "Watch Pammi Aunty on AltBalaji". Retrieved 23 October 2017.
- "Ragini MMS Returns: ALTBalaji's horror web series is steamy, sure; scary? Not so much- Entertainment News, Firstpost".
- "Rajkummar Rao wraps up Bose web-series, preps up for Omerta premier at TIFF 2017". 10 September 2017.
- "ALT Balaji announces Dhimaner Dinkaal – its first Bengali original". 24 July 2017.
- "Alt Balaji announces new series called Fourplay - Times of India".
- "Haq Se: Ekta Kapoor unveils the first look of Rajeev Khandelwal and Surveen Chawla's online show". www.pinkvilla.com.
- "Ronit Roy, Mona Singh and Gurdip Kohli team up for Alt Balaji's next". India Today.
- "Rithvik Dhanjani and Anita Hassanandani play modern-day couple in Galti Se Mis-Tech". 15 March 2018.
- "Why Ekta Kapoor's 'Gandi Baat' is bizarre, not bold". www.dailyo.in.
- "Gandi Baat review: This ALTBalaji show oscillates between soft-porn and crude anthology set in rural India- Entertainment News, Firstpost".
- "Tejpal, Ekta and Murthy among Asia's 50 most powerful communicators: Asiaweek". Indian Advertising Media & Marketing News – exchange4media. 25 May 2001. Retrieved 5 July 2018.
- "Ekta Kapoor Biography, Pictures and Facts". Famous Entrepreneurs. Retrieved 2017-08-29.
- "Ekta Kapoor Biography - Life Story, Career, Awards and Achievements". www.mapsofindia.com. Retrieved 2017-08-29.
- "In 25 most powerful ladies list".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ekta Kapoor.|