El Comandante (TV series)
|Story by||Moisés Naim|
|Opening theme||"Vida sagrada" by Fonseca|
|Country of origin|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||102|
|Production company(s)||Sony Pictures Television|
|Original network||RCN Televisión|
|Picture format||HDTV 1080i|
|Audio format||Stereophonic sound|
|First shown in||Colombia|
|Original release||January 30 –|
July 7, 2017
El Comandante, is a Colombian television series created by Sony Pictures Television. It is based on the life of the late Venezuelan President, Hugo Rafael Chávez Frias. It stars Andrés Parra as the titular character.
El Comandante is a story inspired by the life of Hugo Chávez, a man of humble origin who, at only 44 years old and against all odds, became the most powerful and controversial Latin American leader of his time. During his rule he controlled at will the largest oil reserves on the planet, challenged the First World and managed to shake the continent as nobody else.
The production narrates the fictional story of a man and a country, inspired by real events, incorporating elements and characters of fiction as his comrades fighting, the spies who wanted to kill him, the women who accompanied him in his career and the members of the opposition, to offer an account of suspense and action, of politics and romance.
- Andrés Parra as Hugo Rafael Chávez Frias
- Gabriela Vergara as Marisabel Rodríguez de Chávez
- Stephanie Cayo as Mónica Zabaleta
- Julián Román as Carlos Uzcátegui
- César Manzano as Manuel Centeno
- Sheila Monterola as Antonia Salcedo
- Jimmy Vásquez as Willy Manzanares
- Albi De Abreu as Cristóbal Iturbe
- Marianela González as Daniela Vásquez
- Paulina Dávila as Isabel Manrique
- Natalia Reyes as Carolina Jiménez
- Vicente Peña as Ángel Saavedra
- José Narváez as Iván Fonseca
- Viña Machado as Carmen Rondón
- Jorge Rengifo as Yuckson
- Duban Prado as Máikel
- Jeanette Lehr as Adelaida de Chávez "Mamá Laida"
- Jimmy Vásquez as Willy Manzanares
- Francisco Denis as Fernando Brizuela
- Franártur Duque as Ángel Saavedra, young
The production is based on an original idea by the Venezuelan writer and columnist Moisés Naím and the direction is by Felipe Cano (Lady, la vendedora de rosas, El laberinto de Alicia) and Henry Rivero (film En coma). The librettos are by José Luis González, Juan Andrés Granados and Versalia Cordero. The series is produced by Andrea Marulanda and Luis Eduardo Jiménez as executive producers, series production is scheduled for the summer of 2016.
The first advance of the series was revealed on October 25, 2016, showing scenes that marked the life of the Venezuelan president, such as episodes of his childhood in Sabaneta, Barinas state, until the coup attempt he led in 1992.
In May 2016, Andrés Parra published in his Twitter account a promotional image of the series next to the phrase "The power of passion and the passion for power". To interpret Chavez, Parra had to practice the Venezuelan accent, and cut his hair to interpret the stage where Chavez suffered from cancer. For the personage of Marisabel Rodríguez de Chávez several Venezuelan actresses made casting such as Wanda D'Isidoro, Eileen Abad, Gaby Spanic and Sonya Smith, later she was chosen Gabriela Vergara to interpret the character. More than 50% of the cast are Venezuelan actors.
Following heavy promotion of the series in Colombia, The Miami Herald described El Comandante's launch as being "in a lackluster sixth place, behind the telenovela Sin Tetas No Hay Paraiso as well as Colombia's Next Top Model and NBC’s Las Vega's".
In May 2016, Diosdado Cabello was completely opposed to the production of the series, because he would only lend to defaming the former president of Venezuela, thus asking the executives of Sony Pictures Television to stop the production process and show evidence that the Chavez family agreed with such a series. Later, Sony Pictures Television clarified that Asdrúbal Chávez had authorized the production of the series. Actress Gabriela Vergara received several negative comments towards her character in the series, because Marisabel Rodríguez de Chávez is accused of complicity and robbery during the Chávez government. In October 2016, Cabello warned to take legal action against the production company Sony Pictures Television to continue with the production of the series.
In Venezuela, CONATEL, an institution that regulates airing and broadcasting in the country, ordered to withdraw the signal from RCN Television to prohibit the viewing of the series.
The series will be released on January 30, 2017 in Colombia on RCN Televisión, while in Latin America it will premiere on January 31, 2017 on TNT. In the United States, it will be transmitted by the network Telemundo.
- "Fonseca canta tema oficial de la serie El Comandante (Video)". noticiaaldia.com (in Spanish). Retrieved 19 January 2017.
- "La historia de Hugo Chávez llega a la TV en 'El comandante'". eltiempo.com (in Spanish). Retrieved 21 January 2017.
- Rojas, Laura. "'El Comandante', gran estreno lunes 30 de enero". canalrcn.com (in Spanish). Retrieved 21 January 2017.
- "Vida de Hugo Chávez será relatada en la serie "El Comandante"". el-carabobeno.com (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 10 May 2016. Retrieved 23 May 2016.
- "El Comandante: la serie de Sony Pictures basada en la vida de Chávez". oticierodigital.com (in Spanish). Retrieved 23 May 2016.
- Rojas, Laura. "Andrés Parra interpretará a Hugo Chávez en una nueva serie de TV". enter.co (in Spanish). Retrieved 23 May 2016.
- "Revelan tráiler de El Comandante, serie basada en la vida de Hugo Chávez". el-nacional.com (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 11 December 2016. Retrieved 3 December 2016.
- "Stephanie Cayo será una incisiva periodista en serie sobre Hugo Chávez (VIDEO)". elpopular.pe (in Spanish). Retrieved 28 December 2016.
- Vargas, Cristian. ""Agarren sus alpargatas que lo que viene es joropo" Nuevo adelanto de "El Comandante"". diariocontraste.com (in Spanish). Retrieved 28 December 2016.
- Zambrano, Iván. "Albi de Abreu: "Chávez fue el cáncer que resultó de las malas políticas"". el-nacional.com (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 13 January 2017. Retrieved 11 January 2017.
- "Albi de Abreu obtiene papel en la serie "El Comandante"". correiodevenezuela.com (in Spanish). Retrieved 28 December 2016.
- Ortiz López, Jhosman. "primicia.com.ve". primicia.com.ve (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 4 February 2017. Retrieved 28 December 2016.
- "¡Exclusiva! Lo que nos dijo el amigo de Chávez en la serie "El Comandante" tras censura (+Video) - Caraota Digital". Caraota Digital (in Spanish). 2017-02-01. Archived from the original on 2019-03-29. Retrieved 2018-10-23.
- 2001 entrevista El Comandante, 2017-02-18, retrieved 2018-12-26
- "La historia de Hugo Chávez llega a la TV en 'El comandante'". eltiempo.com (in Spanish). Retrieved 9 January 2017.
- "Sony Pictures Television producirá "El Comandante"". tendencia.com (in Spanish). Retrieved 23 May 2016.
- "La serie "El comandante" recreará 30 eventos de la vida de Chávez". eluniversal.com (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 28 December 2016. Retrieved 28 December 2016.
- "El cambio drástico de Andrés Parra para protagonizar a Hugo Chávez". entornointeligente.com (in Spanish). Retrieved 28 December 2016.
- "Estos colombianos actuarán en 'El comandante', la serie sobre Hugo Chávez". estereofonica.com (in Spanish). Retrieved 28 December 2016.
- "Sony publicó primeras imágenes oficiales de la serie de Hugo Chávez "El Comandante"". noticiaaldia.com (in Spanish). Retrieved 28 December 2016.
- Wyss, Jim (1 February 2017). "Hugo Chávez is back on TV — but banned in Venezuela". Miami Herald. Retrieved 3 February 2017.
- "Así reaccionó Diosdado ante la serie "El Comandante", de Sony Pictures". analitica.com (in Spanish). Retrieved 28 December 2016.
- "Serie sobre Hugo Chávez genera reacciones encontradas". caracol.com.co (in Spanish). Retrieved 28 December 2016.
- "Gabriela Vergara rechazó ser juzgada por su papel en El Comandante y criticó al gobierno". el-nacional.com (in Spanish). Retrieved 28 December 2016.
- "¡Enfurecida! Así reaccionó Gabriela Vergara a críticas por su participación en la serie sobre Chávez". lapatilla.com (in Spanish). Retrieved 28 December 2016.
- Bastidas, Yorcellys. "Diosdado Cabello advierte acciones legales contra productores de serie sobre la vida del comandante Chávez". correodelorinoco.gob.ve (in Spanish). Retrieved 28 December 2016.
- "Guionista de la serie de Hugo Chávez "El comandante" dice que será "ficción"". noticine.com (in Spanish). Retrieved 29 December 2016.
- Web, El Nacional (2017-01-31). "Conatel ordenó quitar la señal de RCN durante transmisión de El Comandante". El Nacional (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 2017-02-02. Retrieved 2018-12-26.
- "El Comandante: serie de TNT sobre Hugo Chávez se estrena el 31 de enero". latercera.com (in Spanish). Retrieved 13 January 2017.
- "TNT adquiere derechos de transmisión de la serie El Comandante". globovision.com (in Spanish). Retrieved 28 December 2016.
- "El canal Telemundo emitirá la serie de televisión basada en Hugo Chávez". efe.com (in Spanish). Retrieved 28 December 2016.