David Lasky (colors)
|September 2, 2014|
|LC Class||HV2534.B44 A3 2014|
El Deafo is a graphic novel written and illustrated by Cece Bell. The book is a loose autobiographical account of Bell's childhood and life with her deafness. The characters in the book are all anthropomorphic bunnies. Cece Bell, in an interview with the Horn Book Magazine, states "What are bunnies known for? Big ears; excellent hearing," rendering her choice of characters and their deafness ironic.
The book depicts the childhood of Cece Bell, who required the assistance of a Phonic Ear hearing aid while she was growing up to be the person who she is now.
While the hearing aid enables her to hear the world around her, it also distances her from some children her own age because she is seen as "different". This causes both frustration and depression in Cece, as she is desperate to find a true friend but frequently feels that she has to accept poor treatment from others being afraid of losing what few friends she has. She deals with these feelings by treating her hearing aid as a superpower, as it gives her the ability to hear everything. For example, she hears private teacher conversations, as her teachers wear a tiny microphone that transmits sound to Cece's hearing aid; and not every teacher remembers to turn it off when they leave the classroom. She adopts the secret nickname "El Deafo".
As time passes Cece grows more assertive and opens up to the people around her, especially when she meets a new friend who doesn't seem to care that she wears a hearing aid. She also grows comfortable in confronting people that treat her differently because of her deafness, finding that many of them are largely unaware that their actions cause her emotional harm. Ultimately Cece opens up to her new friend and reveals her secret persona as "El Deafo", much to the delight of her friend, who agrees to serve as her sidekick. As she gets older, she realizes that she no longer has to hide her "superpower" with others.
- Cecilia 'Cece' Bell: Main character
- Dorn: Cece's Kindergarten teacher
- Mrs. Lufton: Cece's first grade teacher
- Mrs. Ikelberry: Cece's third grade teacher
- Mrs. Sinklemann: Cece's fifth grade teacher
- Emma: Cece's first best friend
- Laura: Cece's best friend in first and second grade
- Ginny Wakeley: Cece's new friend in third grade
- Martha Ann Claytor: Cece's best friend in fifth grade
- Mike Miller: Cece's first crush and new neighbour
- Babarah Bell: Cece's mother
- George Bell: Cece's father
- Ashley Bell: Cece's older brother
- Sarah Bell: Cece's older sister
- Mr. Potts: Cece's gym teacher
- El Deafo: Cece's alter-ego
A three-part animated miniseries adaptation of the graphic novel was released on Apple TV+ on January 7, 2022. The miniseries features the voices of Pamela Adlon, Jane Lynch and Chuck Nice. The miniseries is narrated by author Cece Bell. Most of the dialogue is filtered through hearing aids.
- "Amulet Books". Archived from the original on 27 May 2015. Retrieved 5 May 2015.
- Deirdre Baker (November 12, 2014). "Cece Bell on El Deafo". The Horn Book. Retrieved 16 January 2020.
- "'El Deafo' Apple TV Plus Review: Stream It Or Skip It?". Retrieved 2022-02-23.
- El Deafo - YALSA Book Finder
- Sonic Youth August 22, 2014
- "Trailer: Cece Bell's 'El Deafo' Joins Apple TV+ Kids Lineup January 7". 16 December 2021.