|Owner(s)||Al-Fagr for Printing and Publishing Inc.|
|Founded||3 June 2005|
History and profile
In its 21st edition, dated 17 October 2005, El Fagr was the first newspaper worldwide to republish on its front page (one cartoon) and page 17, a total of six cartoons portraying the Islamic prophet Muhammad of twelve cartoons originally published in the Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten. These twelve cartoons gave rise to the Jyllands-Posten Muhammad cartoons controversy. However, these caricatures received little attention in Egypt and the paper was not banned due to its reprints of the caricatures.
In March 2006 Amira Malsh, a journalist working for El Fagr, was sentenced to a year in prison with hard labor because of libeling a judge in an article published in the paper.
In 2013 the weekly started an award in the memory of Al Husseiny Abu Deif, a journalist who died in December 2012 during clashes among the demonstrators.
- Adel Iskandar (May 2007). "Lines in the Sand: Problematizing Arab Media in the Post-Taxonomic Era" (PDF). Arab Media & Society. Retrieved 2 October 2014.
- Mohamed Ezz Elvarab. "Greasing the presses". Arab Memo to the Next American President (PDF). Retrieved 26 September 2015.
- Ekram Ibrahim (21 June 2012). "Egyptian media warns of "massacre of the century"". Ahram Online. Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- Richard Butsch; Sonia Livingstone (15 August 2013). The Meanings of Audiences: Comparative Discourses. Routledge. p. 125. ISBN 978-1-135-04305-6.
- Lawrence Pintak; Jeremy Ginges (July 2008). "The Mission of Arab Journalism: Creating Change in a Time of Turmoil" (PDF). The International Journal of Press/Politics 13 (3). Retrieved 13 February 2014.
- "Media and Press Situation in Egypt: Ninth Report" (Report). Al Sawt Al Hurr. 2013. Retrieved 6 October 2014.
- Daved Barry; Hans Hansen (30 April 2008). The SAGE Handbook of New Approaches in Management and Organization. SAGE Publications. p. 245. ISBN 978-1-4462-0407-8. Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- Hussein Amin. "Strengthening the Rule of Law and Integrity in the Arab World" (PDF). Arab Center for the Development of the Rule of Law and Integrity. Retrieved 5 October 2014.
-   – Reproductions of 17 October 2005 edition
- Assyrian International News Agency commentary on the El Fagr republication