El Gato: The Human Glacier
|El Gato: The Human Glacier|
|Studio album by|
|Released||December 22, 2017|
|Gucci Mane chronology|
El Gato: The Human Glacier is the twelfth studio album by American rapper Gucci Mane. It was released on December 22, 2017, by GUWOP Enterprises and Atlantic Records. The album's production is handed primarily by Southside, alongside Jake One. It is Gucci Mane's third commercial project of 2017, following Droptopwop and Mr. Davis. It also marks his first and only studio album to not feature any guest appearances.
Upon release, El Gato: The Human Glacier received generally favourable reviews by music critics. Marcus Blackwell of HipHopDX praised the album's production, stating that "Upon the sturdy album’s completion, you are left wanting a few more moments of introspection from Gucci. He showed flashes on a handful of verses but never really committed the way he has on previous albums, but this is to be expected for an album he’s stated was recorded in two days. Gucci also doesn’t give us his Grade-A street philosophizing on El Gato: The Human Glacier but he sounds more comfortable than he’s been at any point since his return from prison."
Jonah Bromwich of Pitchfork praised the album's comedic tone and production, stating: "There’s not a miss among the beats here, and even Southside’s stranger choices reveal themselves as fitting backdrops for Gucci’s pop instincts. When stable, Gucci easily approaches the realm of genius, consistently building hype for each new product. It’s no wonder that Gato, a platonic version of one of his early street mixtapes, has been able to stoke as much interest as the more commercial records he’s released lately. As Gucci has entered this new period of his life, he’s accomplished an extraordinary amount. It’s not gauche or even suspect to hope and pray that he keeps it up."
Adrian Glover of Salute Magazine commented that El Gato: The Human Glacier "finds Gucci Mane at his best as he redefines his style. In the past he’s been either really street or damn near too comical as he ran through ad-lib after ad-lib. Now, he’s found a way to talk his shit without allowing one section of his arsenal to overshadow the other. That could partially be because this one was helmed by one singular producer who saw the process through from beginning to end."
|1.||"Rich Ass Junkie"||Southside||3:12|
|2.||"Peepin Out the Blinds"||Southside||3:05|
|8.||"Smiling in the Drought"||Southside||4:09|
|9.||"El Gato's Revenge"||Southside||4:51|
|11.||"Southside and Guwop (Outro)"||4:16|
|Canadian Albums (Billboard)||61|
|Dutch Albums (Album Top 100)||96|
|US Billboard 200||28|
- "El Gato: The Human Glacier by Gucci Mane". Apple Music. Retrieved December 21, 2017.
- "Gucci Mane Announces New Album 'El Gato the Human Glacier'". Rap-Up. October 24, 2017. Retrieved December 13, 2017.
- Bristout, Ralph (December 11, 2017). "Gucci Mane says he recorded 'El Gato the Human Glacier' in two days with Southside". Revolt. Retrieved December 13, 2017.
- India, Lindsey (December 11, 2017). "Gucci Mane Shares 'El Gato the Human Glacier' Album Release Date". XXL. Retrieved December 13, 2017.
- A., Aron (December 12, 2017). "Gucci Mane Reveals "El Gato The Human Glacier" Tracklist". HotNewHipHop. Retrieved December 13, 2017.
- Blackwell, Marcus (December 22, 2017). "Review: Gucci Mane & Southside Keep The Trap Cozy On "El Gato: The Human Glacier"". HipHopDX. Retrieved December 22, 2017.
- Bronwich, Jonah (January 11, 2018). "Gucci Mane: El Gato: The Human Glacier Album Review". Pitchfork. Retrieved February 3, 2018.
- Glover, Adrian (December 23, 2017). "Review: Gucci Mane hits his stride on El Gato: The Human Glacier". Salute Magazine. Retrieved February 3, 2018.
- "El Gato: The Human Glacier / Gucci Mane – TIDAL". Tidal. Retrieved January 21, 2019.
- "Gucci Mane Chart History (Canadian Albums)". Billboard. Retrieved January 4, 2018.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Gucci Mane – El Gato: The Human Glacier" (in Dutch). Hung Medien. Retrieved December 30, 2017.
- "Gucci Mane Chart History (Billboard 200)". Billboard. Retrieved January 4, 2018.