El Khabar logo.
|Circulation||500,000 (May 2006 - May 2007)|
History and profile
After the fall of Algeria's one-party system in 1988, which tightly controlled the press, a group of young journalist issued the first edition of El Khabar in Algiers on 1 November 1990. The daily which has an independent stance is published in the tabloid format.
In August 2003 El Khabar temporarily ceased publication due to its debt to state-run printing presses.
Political views and controversies
The paper is independent and has no party affiliation. The paper's critical reporting has resulted in numerous run-ins with the Algerian government, which on a couple of occasions has sent reporters and editors to jail. El Khabar staff was also threatened and attacked by Islamist rebels during Algeria's long and vicious civil war, which began in 1992.
- ElKhabar. "الخبر". www.elkhabar.com (in Arabic). Retrieved 2017-09-15.
- "El Khabar". Al Monitor. Retrieved 6 January 2014.
- Cristina Romero. "Media Landscapes. Algeria". European Journalism Center. Retrieved 7 October 2014.
- "Algerian newspapers suspended from publication". Mail and Guardian. 18 August 2003. Retrieved 14 March 2015.
- "Forbes Releases Top 50 MENA Online Newspapers; Lebanon Fails to Make Top 10". Jad Aoun. 28 October 2010. Retrieved 11 September 2014.
- "Al Khabar correspondent released". Reporters Sans Frontières. Algeria. 22 February 2006. Archived from the original on 5 February 2008. Retrieved 30 August 2010.