El Perro del Mar
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|El Perro Del Mar|
|Labels||Ging Ging Recordings
The Control Group
El Perro Del Mar (literally "The Dog of the Sea" in Spanish) is a musical project that was founded in December 2003 in Gothenburg, Sweden. The sole member of El Perro Del Mar, Sarah Assbring, initially started as an MP3/CD-R artist and released her first songs through Hybris Records. Her music could originally have been described as melancholic indie pop, but in recent years she is noted for being a "chameleon" with "every visual, sound, costume, and so on painstakenly thought out" for consecutive albums.
From 2004 to late 2005, Assbring's records had only been released by the Swedish label, Hybris, but in 2006, she experienced a host of new-found success when El Perro Del Mar was picked up by UK-based label, Memphis Industries, under which Dungen and The Go! Team also release. The album was also released by US label The Control Group in The U.S. and Canada. The Control Group has remained El Perro Del Mar's American label home. Prior to the self-titled album, Assbring had recorded and released Look! It's El Perro del Mar! and the EP You Gotta Give to Get, in Spring 2005 and November 2005 respectively.
In early 2007, El Perro Del Mar ended its relationship with Hybris and began a new relationship with The Concretes's label, Licking Fingers. Her second album, titled From The Valley To The Stars, was released in Spring 2008. In 2009 El Perro Del Mar collaborated with Rasmus Hägg (the other half of Gothenburg-based duo Studio) on what became her third album, Love Is Not Pop. The album was well received with the single "Change of Heart" standing out as a unique beat-driven melancholy pop-song. During the recording of her fourth album, Pale Fire, Assbring became a mother.
In 2015 a deluxe edition of El Perro Del Mar's debut album was released, with the package containing eleven bonus tracks including the unreleased demos "In the Woods" and "An Eye for Gold". Her fifth album is slated for release on September 16, 2016, and is entitled KoKoro. The album was trailed with the release of the singles "BreadandButter" and "Ding Sum". According to Assbring, "KoKoro" is influenced by her "listening to only Japanese, Chinese, Thai, and Indian pop music for the last three years.' The album is co-written and co-produced with Jacob Haage.
|Year||Album details||Peak chart positions|
|2005||Look! It's El Perro del Mar!
|2006||El Perro del Mar||—|
|2008||From the Valley to the Stars||32|
|2009||Love Is Not Pop||37|
- You Gotta Give to Get (2005)
- "Jens Lekman/El Perro del Mar" (2004)
- "What's New?" (November 1, 2004)
- "You Gotta Give to Get" (November 2005)
- "Dog" (2006)
- "How Did We Forget?" (February 13, 2008)
- "Auld Lang Syne" (December 16, 2008)
- "Lykke Li/El Perro del Mar" (2009)
- "El Perro Del Mar Announces Details of New LP, Shares Karaoke Themed Video for "BreadandButter" « My Old Kentucky Blog". Myoldkentuckyblog.com. 2016-06-15. Retrieved 2016-11-22.
- "New Music Videos, Reality TV Shows, Celebrity News, Pop Culture | MTV". Mtviggy.com. 2016-09-30. Retrieved 2016-11-22.
- "El Perro Del Mar readies 10th anniversary deluxe edition of her debut album (stream a track)". Brooklynvegan.com. 2015-02-03. Retrieved 2016-11-22.
- "Taken By Trees – Music Charts". Acharts.us. Retrieved 2016-11-22.