|Born||Rubén Doblas Gundersen|
13 February 1990
(23 June 2019)
|Total views||7.51 billion|
(24 April 2019)
|Updated 24 April 2019|
Rubén Doblas Gundersen (Spanish: [ruˈβen ˈdoβlaz ˈɣundeɾsen]; born 13 February 1990), better known by his pseudonym El Rubius or elrubiusOMG (//), is a Spanish-Norwegian YouTube personality whose channel primarily consists of gameplays and vlogs. His channel currently has over 7.4 billion views and 34 million subscribers. It also the 18th most subscribed YouTube channel in the world.
A tweet from Rubius's official Twitter account was the most retweeted tweet in the world for the year 2016. The tweet was retweeted more than 1.3 million times.
Doblas was born in the Spanish town of Mijas in 1990 to a Spanish father and a Norwegian mother. During his childhood he moved many times to Bergen, Norway due to his parents' divorce. He speaks fluent Norwegian, the Bergen dialect specifically, Spanish and English. When he definitively settled in Spain he studied animation and 3D modelling.
He posted his first video on YouTube in 2006 and has devoted himself exclusively to his YouTube channel since 2011. In 2014, he made a cameo appearance in the Spanish film Torrente 5, starred and directed by Santiago Segura.
El Rubius has two channels: elrubius and ElRubiusOMG. His first channel "elrubius" was created on April 3, 2006. His second channel "elrubiusOMG" was created on December 19, 2011 because he could not become a YouTube partner on his first channel due to a strike.
In 2011, his channel started becoming popular in the Spanish-speaking countries. He gained attention when he posted a gameplay of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. He later published videos of him on the Chatroulette website, which gained him an even larger following.
He became the most subscribed Spanish channel in November 2012, after overtaking the YouTuber Willyrex. In February 2013, he reached 1 million subscribers and two years later, in February 2015, he became the first Spanish YouTuber whose channel reached 10 million subscribers. Therefore, in October 2015, he got the Diamond Play Button at the YouTube 10th Anniversary Party in Madrid.
On March 25, 2018 ElrubiusOMG broke Ninja and Drake's record for most concurrent viewers during a Fortnite stream and the record for most concurrent viewers on a YouTube Gaming livestream with 1.1 million people tuning in. The tournament consisted of 99 other Spanish-speaking streamers who all broadcast the game to their own audiences, all together the Battle Royale tournament had over 42M live views.
In 2014, El Rubius published El libro Troll, an interactive book full of challenges. The book reached number one in sales in Spain for eight weeks and was a bestseller at the Madrid Book Fair 2014. The Superintendencia de Industria y Comercio deemed it unsuitable for children and teenagers, and it was described by parents as a sexual book.
Spanish publishing group Planeta published his first comic entitled El Rubius: Virtual Hero on September 15, 2015. Its second part, whose title is Virtual Hero II: La torre imposible, was published in June 2016. The third and last part of the saga was published on April 4, 2017, and it was entitled Virtual Hero III: La máscara del troll.
On 3 October 2018 he uploaded a documentary about his life on his YouTube channel. It was released on Movistar+ in October 11, 2018. On 12 October 2018, Virtual Hero, the first anime series released in Spain, premiered on Movistar+.  It is directed by Alexis Barroso, illustrated by Lolita Aldea and written by Juan Torres, based upon the comic by El Rubius.
- In isolation, Doblas and Gundersen are pronounced [ˈdoβlas] and [ˈɡundeɾsen], respectively.
- "YouTube Top 100 Most Subscribed Channels List". VidStatsX. Archived from the original on 16 October 2013. Retrieved 18 February 2016.
- "YouTube Stats Summary". Social Blade.
- "elrubiusOMG Stats, info and subscriber count in realtime". SubscriberCount.
- "Un tuit de El Rubius, el más retuiteado del mundo este 2016". El Periodico de Catalunya (in Spanish). 7 December 2016. Retrieved 22 November 2017.
- "Norwegian Ruben being overrun by admirers". NRK Urix (in Norwegian). 8 March 2015. Retrieved 2 May 2016.
- Collera, Virginia (28 June 2015). "The youtubers' revolution". El País (in Spanish). Retrieved 24 June 2015.
- Millet, Eva (21 June 2014). "El Rubius, the joker youtuber". La Vanguardia (in Spanish). Retrieved 21 June 2014.
- Siccardi, Xiana (28 January 2018). "ElRubius cumple seis años de reinado en YouTube como espejo de una generación". La Vanguardia (in Spanish). Retrieved 9 July 2018.
- Simón, Pedro (8 February 2018). Canet, Thomas (ed.). "Elrubius: "Vivo a base de pedir comida por internet"". El Mundo (in Spanish). Unidad Editorial. Retrieved 9 July 2018.
- EFE (8 August 2014). "Santiago Segura lanza el nuevo tráiler de "Torrente 5" en su canal de YouTube". El Diario (in Spanish). Madrid. Retrieved 9 July 2018.
- "El Rubius, the first Spanish YouTube channel which reaches 10 million subscribers". El Economista (in Spanish). 4 February 2015. Retrieved 4 February 2015.
- Peinado, Mari Luz; González, Lucía (23 October 2015). "El Rubius and Vegetta777, the first Spanish 'diamonds' in YouTube". El País (in Spanish). Retrieved 23 October 2015.
- YouTube Spotlight (9 December 2015). "elrubiusOMG in Youtube Rewind 2015". YouTube. Retrieved 9 December 2015.
- YouTube Spotlight (7 December 2016). "elrubiusOMG in Youtube Rewind 2016". YouTube. Retrieved 7 December 2016.
- Alexander, Julia (26 March 2018). Grant, Christopher (ed.). "Fortnite livestream with 100 YouTubers draws in more than 1M viewers". Polygon. Vox Media, Inc. Retrieved 2 April 2018.
- Muñoz, F. (13 August 2014). "La estrella española de Youtube que se convirtió en el escritor que más vende". ABC (in Spanish). Retrieved 2 October 2018.
- Alós, Ernest (22 July 2014). "There's a Troll at the bookshops". El Periódico de Catalunya (in Spanish). Barcelona. Retrieved 22 July 2014.
- EFE (11 November 2015). "'El libro troll' de El Rubius no es apto para niños, según una autoridad colombiana". 20 Minutos (in Spanish). Retrieved 2 October 2018.
- Lizarazo, Tatiana (28 October 2015). "'El libro Troll' tiene en alerta a padres por retos de tipo sexual". El Tiempo. Retrieved 2 October 2018.
- Delgado Manzano, Jesús (16 September 2015). "El Rubius: Virtual Hero, el cómic de El Rubius". Hobby Consolas (in Spanish). Retrieved 2 October 2018.
- Delgado Manzano, Jesús (10 June 2016). "Virtual Hero 2: El Rubius - La Torre Imposible - Review del segundo cómic de El Rubius". Hobby Consolas (in Spanish). Retrieved 2 October 2018.
- Mollejo, Verónica (24 October 2017). "Virtual Hero, la serie de anime creada por El Rubius". OK Diario (in Spanish). Dos Mil Palabras S.L. Retrieved 2 October 2018.
- "El Rubius preestrena hoy su documental en su canal de Youtube". Europa Press (in Spanish). 3 October 2018. Retrieved 3 October 2018.
- Millán, Víctor (3 October 2018). "'De Rubén a Rubius', el documental que cuenta el ascenso del youtuber". AS (in Spanish). Retrieved 3 October 2018.
- EFE (24 September 2018). "El Rubius se pasa al anime con 'Virtual Hero' el 12 de octubre en Movistar+". Heraldo de Aragón (in Spanish). Henneo. Retrieved 2 October 2018.
- Gimferrer, Pere Solà (20 October 2017). "El Rubius prepara con Movistar el primer anime de la historia de España". La Vanguardia (in Spanish). Barcelona. Retrieved 2 October 2018.
- Crespo, Irene (10 April 2018). "Primeras imágenes de 'Virtual Hero', el anime de El Rubius". Cinemania (in Spanish). El Mundo. Retrieved 2 October 2018.
- "El Rubius receives the Play Award for "Youtuber of the Year" in Palma". El Mundo (in Spanish). Palma. 20 April 2016. Retrieved 20 April 2016.