|Other names||Los Angeles Derby|
|Locale||Greater Los Angeles|
|First meeting||March 31, 2018|
|Latest meeting||August 24, 2018|
|Next meeting||July 19, 2019|
|Most wins||LA Galaxy (1)|
|Largest victory||LA Galaxy 4–3 LAFC|
El Tráfico, also known as the Los Angeles Derby, is a rivalry between the two Major League Soccer (MLS) clubs based in the Los Angeles area, LA Galaxy and Los Angeles FC. The rivalry is one of the two crosstown series in the league, alongside the Hudson River Derby in the New York City area, and replaced the SuperClasico, played between the Galaxy and Chivas USA.
Los Angeles FC was established in 2014, shortly after the dissolution of Chivas USA, a MLS franchise based in Los Angeles and owned by C.D. Guadalajara. The team shared Dignity Health Sports Park in Carson, originally known as the Home Depot Center (2003–2013) and later as StubHub Center (2013–2018), with the Galaxy, attracting lower attendance during its final years of operation. The two teams competed in the SuperClasico, a rivalry named after the Mexican rivalry between Guadalajara and Club América. The two teams met 31 times in ten seasons, with the Galaxy winning 20 matches and Chivas winning four.
The two teams' academies met for the first time in September 2016, ending in a 3–3 draw.
The first match between the two senior teams, LAFC's third-ever regular season game, was played on March 31, 2018, at the StubHub Center. Despite LAFC leading 3–0 after 60 minutes, the match ended in a 4–3 win for the Galaxy, including two goals from substitute Zlatan Ibrahimović on debut. The teams played at Banc of California Stadium on July 26 and will be followed by a second match at the StubHub Center on August 24 during MLS Rivalry Week. The second meeting, on July 26, ended in a 2–2 draw at the Banc of California Stadium. Six fans were arrested in clashes between fans at the stadium, where seats were damaged and fights broke out.
Los Angeles FC's fanbase consists of new MLS fans as well as former LA Galaxy and Chivas USA fans. In January 2018, a mural commissioned by LAFC in Pico-Union was vandalized with the colors of the Galaxy within hours of being completed and unveiled. This followed an earlier incident where paint in LAFC's colors was sprayed over a Galaxy mural at Hawthorne Memorial Park and a Galaxy billboard. Both fanbases later defaced property during the inaugural year of the rivalry.
"El Tráfico" (literally "The Traffic" in Spanish) was a name created by MLS fans and adopted by media outlets following polls by SB Nation blogs LAG Confidential and Angels on Parade. It refers to the notorious road traffic congestion in Los Angeles, among the worst in the United States and the world, while serving as a pun on "El Clasico". MLS has no plans to trademark the name. The rivalry has also been called the "Los Angeles Derby", a moniker that was also used for the SuperClasico.
|No.||Date||Competition||Venue||Home team||Score||Away team||Attendance|
|1.||March 31, 2018||MLS||StubHub Center||LA Galaxy||4–3||Los Angeles FC||27,068|
|2.||July 26, 2018||MLS||Banc of California Stadium||Los Angeles FC||2–2||LA Galaxy||22,716|
|3.||August 24, 2018||MLS||StubHub Center||LA Galaxy||1–1||Los Angeles FC||27,068|
|4.||July 19, 2019||MLS||Dignity Health Sports Park||LA Galaxy||Los Angeles FC|
|5.||August 25, 2019||MLS||Banc of California Stadium||Los Angeles FC||LA Galaxy|
|Matches||Galaxy wins||Draws||LAFC wins||Galaxy goals||LAFC goals|
|Major League Soccer||3||1||2||0||7||6|
|1||MEX||Carlos Vela||Los Angeles FC||4|
|2||SWE||Zlatan Ibrahimović||LA Galaxy||3|
|3||FRA||Romain Alessandrini||LA Galaxy||1|
|NOR||Ola Kamara||LA Galaxy|
|USA||Sebastian Lletget||LA Galaxy|
|USA||Lee Nguyen||Los Angeles FC|
|USA||Chris Pontius||LA Galaxy|
- Los Angeles rivalries in professional sports
- Wiebe, Andrew (March 28, 2018). "Wiebe: First-ever "El Trafico" will lay stakes for LA Galaxy-LAFC rivalry". MLSsoccer.com. Retrieved March 29, 2018.
- Baxter, Kevin (March 28, 2018). "Galaxy and LAFC fans are taking new rivalry very seriously". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved March 29, 2018.
- Baxter, Kevin (March 30, 2018). "'Proper rivalry' leaves Galaxy defending home turf against LAFC". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved March 31, 2018.
- Parker, Graham (May 17, 2012). "LA Story Part One: Chivas USA". The Guardian. Retrieved March 31, 2018.
- Rosano, Nicholas (September 4, 2016). "LAFC, LA Galaxy meet for first time at academy level – who took the win?". MLSsoccer.com. Retrieved March 29, 2018.
- Butler, Dylan (March 29, 2018). "LA Galaxy vs. LAFC: 2018 MLS Match Preview". MLSsoccer.com. Retrieved March 31, 2018.
- Baxter, Kevin (March 31, 2018). "Zlatan Ibrahimovic scores two late goals to lift Galaxy to a 4-3 victory over LAFC". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved March 31, 2018.
- Baxter, Kevin (January 4, 2018). "LAFC to meet Galaxy three times in first MLS season". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved March 31, 2018.
- Baxter, Kevin (July 27, 2018). "LAFC-Galaxy game marred by vandalism and altercations". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved July 28, 2018.
- French, Scott (May 19, 2015). "LAFC's Henry Nguyen: Our stadium will be "one of the cathedrals of soccer"". MLSsoccer.com. Retrieved March 31, 2018.
- Nachman, Gideon (May 29, 2017). "Is it possible to manufacture a football rivalry? MLS has tried ..." The Guardian. Retrieved April 16, 2018.
- "Some Angelinos want a tagging war". LAG Confidential. Retrieved April 3, 2018.
- "What are we calling the LA Galaxy LAFC rivalry?". LAG Confidential. Retrieved April 3, 2018.
- "Poll: What should we call the LAFC-LA Galaxy rivalry?". Angels on Parade. Retrieved April 3, 2018.
- Davis, Matt (March 29, 2018). "Will Ferrell v Zlatan Ibrahimovic? Los Angeles FC prepare to face Galaxy on derby day". BBC Sport. Retrieved March 31, 2018.
- "L.A.'s traffic congestion is world's worst for sixth straight year, study says". Los Angeles Times. February 6, 2018. Retrieved March 31, 2018.
- Lalas, Alexi [@AlexiLalas] (March 28, 2018). "The first-ever @LAGalaxy vs. @LAFC game is Saturday 3 pm ET on @FOXTV. This LA derby is being called "El Tráfico." @MLS says the fans came up with the name and the League has no plans to trademark it. #ElTrafico #LAvLAFC" (Tweet). Retrieved March 29, 2018 – via Twitter.
- Lutz, Tom (March 31, 2018). "Zlatan Ibrahimovic's low-key MLS debut: a wondergoal then the winner for LA Galaxy". The Guardian. Retrieved March 31, 2018.
- Lalas, Greg (October 26, 2009). "L.A. derby finally means something". Sports Illustrated. Retrieved March 31, 2018.
- "LA Galaxy 4, Los Angeles Football Club 3". MLSSoccer.com. Retrieved April 21, 2018.