El Tuparro National Natural Park
|Parque Nacional Natural El Tuparro|
|El Tuparro National Natural Park|
|Nearest city||Puerto Carreño, Colombia|
|Area||5,480 km2 (2,120 sq mi)|
The Tuparro National Natural Park (Spanish: Parque Nacional Natural El Tuparro) is a national park located in the Vichada Department in the Orinoquía Region of Colombia. It is the only protected area in the Eastern Plains (Llanos Orientales) under Colombia's Natural Parks System.
The flat area is bounded by the Orinoco River to the east, the Tomo River to the north and the Tuparro River to the south. It was created in 1970 and covers an area of 548,000 hectares. In addition to the park's two broad types of natural ecosystems, flooded and non-flooded savannas, it also has five types of riparian forests.
Average yearly rainfall is 2477 mm in the western region and 2939 mm in the eastern. Average temperature is 27°C. Savannas cover 75% of the area, and gallery forests covering the rest. Predominating plants include the Moriche Palm and the tree Caraipa llanorum. The dominant vegetation on the non-flooded savannas is grass.
The park is home to 74 species of mammals, 320 birds (many of them marine), 17 reptiles, 26 fish and five primate species. Amphibians are significantly diverse due to the variety of ecosystems in the area. Notable birds include guans, curassows, screamers, eagles and ducks. Mammals found on the savanna include white-tailed deer, giant armadillo, small savanna armadillo, and tapir. Peccaries, pumas, jaguars inhabit the woodlands.
- "Biosphere Reserve Information, El Tuparro". UNESCO. Retrieved 10 July 2010.
- "Parque Nacional Natural El Tuparro" (in Spanish). Parques Nacionales Naturales de Colombia. Retrieved 10 July 2010.
- "Naturaleza y Ciencia del Parque Nacional Natural El Tuparro" (in Spanish). Parques Nacionales Naturales de Colombia. Retrieved 10 July 2010.
- Villegas & Sesana 2007, p. 368
- Villegas & Sesana 2007, p. 371
- Villegas, Benjamin; Sesana, Laura (2007), Colombia Natural Parks, Villegas Asociados, ISBN 978-958-8156-87-3.