Elaine H. Kim
Elaine H. Kim is an award-winning writer, editor and professor in Asian American Studies at the University of California, Berkeley. Kim is widely published in her field. Some of her books are Dangerous Women: Gender and Korean Nationalism (co-editor with Chungmoo Choi); Making More Waves: New Writing by Asian American Women (co-editor with Lilia V. Villanueva and Asian Women United of California); and East to America: Korean-American Life Stories (co-editor with Eui-Young Yu). Kim has also produced several videos about Asian American women.
Kim is the co-founder of the non-profit organization Asian Women United(AWU) of California, and was a former president at AWU. She also co-founded the Oakland Korean Community Center and the Asian Immigrant Women Advocates.
Kim received her B.A. in English and American Literature from the University of Pennsylvania, M.A. in English and Comparative Literature from Columbia University, and her Ph.D. in Social Foundations of Education from University of California, Berkeley.
Kim was a recipient of Rockefeller and Fulbright Fellow.
- Slaying the Dragon: Asian Women in U.S. Television and Film 1988
- Labor Women, 2002
- Reloaded: Representing Asian Women Beyond Hollywood, 2010
- Asian American Literature: An Introduction to the Writings and Their Social Context, Philadelphia: Temple University Press, 1982
- East to America: Korean American Life Stories (co-edited with Eui-Young Yu), New York: The New Press, 1996
- Dangerous Women: Gender and Korean Nationalism, Routledge, 1997
- Fresh Talk/Daring Gazes: Issues in Asian American Visual Art, University of California Press, 2003
- Echoes Upon Echoes: New Korean American Writing, Temple University Press, 2003
- Lifetime Achievement Award, Association for Asian American Studies, 2011
- Association of Asian American Studies Book Award in Cultural Studies, 2004
- Hall of Outstanding Women at California, 1995
- faculty profile: University of California, Berkeley
- documentary film Slaying the Dragon Reloaded
- Asian Women United(AWU) of California
- documentary Reloaded: Representing Asian Women Beyond Hollywood
- Book review: Asian American Literature: An Introduction to the Writings and Their Social Context
- Book review: Fresh Talk/Daring Gazes: Issues in Asian American Visual Art
- Elaine H. Kim biography
- Article "War Story" (c. 1950–1953, by Elaine H. Kim)
- KOREAN AMERICAN LITERATURE
- Asian Women United (AWU) of California
- Amazon book: Dangerous Women: Gender and Korean Nationalism
- Korea Policy Institute: Advisory Board profile
- the Oakland Korean Community Center
- Asian Immigrant Women Advocates