|Born||August 26, 1969|
John Mellencamp (m. 1992–2011)
|Height||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)|
Early life and career
Elaine Irwin was born in Gilbertsville, Pennsylvania. She left home when she was 16 to pursue a modeling career and was discovered by photographer Paul Pelak and his wife Margaret Pelak while enrolled at John Casablancas in 1985. After her photo appeared in Seventeen in 1985, the Boyertown honor student and varsity letter-winner in track and cross country was a much sought-after face for magazine covers, advertisements and commercials.
In 1989 she appeared in the music video for New Order's "Round and Round" off their 1989 album Technique. Within a few years, she became one of the Ford Models and had appeared on the cover of dozens of fashion magazines, including Cosmopolitan, Glamour, Self and Elite. Her American Beauty Vogue cover was shot by Richard Avedon.
Elaine was 23 when she married musician John Mellencamp on September 5, 1992. The two met when she was hired to appear on the cover of Mellencamp's Whenever We Wanted album (and appear in the music video for "Get A Leg Up"). Within 10 weeks, they were engaged. The couple has two sons.
On December 30, 2010, it was announced that she and John Mellencamp were separating after eighteen years of marriage, but both were choosing to stay in Indiana to raise their two children. Irwin moved to Los Angeles soon after. On January 14, 2011 John Mellencamp filed for divorce and requested that Elaine be returned to her maiden name 'Irwin'. On August 12, 2011 their divorce was finalized.
- Elaine Irwin appeared on The Tavis Smiley Show on August 16, 2010, and informed the host that her birthday is August 26, not August 16 as has been widely reported.
- "Elaine Irwin Mellencamp". Fashion Model Directory.
- "Round & Round (& Round & Round & Round & Round". cerysmatic.factoryrecords.org. 18 May 2017. Retrieved 20 May 2017.
- "Elaine Irwin-Mellencamp to Drive Bravada Indianapolis 500 Pace Vehicle". The Auto Channel (Press release). May 4, 2001.
- Davidson, Donald; Schaffer, Rick (2006). Autocourse Official History of the Indianapolis 500. Crash Media Group. ISBN 978-1-905334-20-9.
- "Mellencamp taking stage with both Obama, Clinton". Associated Press. April 22, 2008. Archived from the original on April 26, 2008. Retrieved November 27, 2008.
- Disis, Jill (August 16, 2013). "John Mellencamp's sons face felony battery charges". The Indianapolis Star.
Hud and Speck Mellencamp are the sons of John Mellencamp and Elaine Irwin, who were married from 1992 to 2011.
- "Inside John Mellencamp's Divorce – He's Got The Prenup!". RadarOnline.com. January 20, 2011.
- "John Mellencamp's marriage over". Brisbane Times. December 31, 2010.
- "John Mellencamp Officially Divorced". People Magazine. August 15, 2011.
- "Penske heir, 34, and former Victoria's Secret model Elaine Irwin, 43, are expecting their first child". Daily Mail. April 8, 2013.