|Intercommunality||Métropole Rouen Normandie|
|• Mayor (2008 – 2014)||Djoudé Merabet|
|16.32 km2 (6.30 sq mi)|
|• Density||990/km2 (2,600/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||2–133 m (6.6–436.4 ft) |
(avg. 50 m or 160 ft)
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
A light industrial town situated by the banks of the Seine some 11 miles (18 km) south of Rouen at the junction of the D7, D321 and the D313 roads. The commune's territory is largely residential to the north but the southern section is covered by thick woodland. Its position by a meander of the Seine leaves the town susceptible to flooding.
The first written record of the town was in the 10th century, on a map of Richard I of Normandy, under the name "Wellebou". It passed into the hands of the houses of Rieux and Lorraine, and was raised to the rank of a duchy in the peerage of France by Henry III in favour of Charles de Lorraine. The last duke of Elbeuf was Charles Eugène of Lorraine.
|The arms of Elbeuf are blazoned :|
Per pale: 1 Or, a patriarchal cross gules issuant from a base, supporting a grapevine vert fructed purpure, 2 Azure, a beehive Or on a base vert, beset by bees Or.
|From the year 1962 on: No double counting—residents of multiple communes (e.g. students and military personnel) are counted only once.|
Places of interest
- The mairie, also housing the museum.
- Two seventeenth-century churches.
- Some sixteenth-century houses.
- A fifteenth-century stone cross.
- The theatre (1890), renovated in the late twentieth century.
- Raoul Grimoin-Sanson, cinematography inventor, was born here.
- André Maurois (né Émile Salomon Wilhelm Herzog), novelist, member of the Académie française
- David Vigor was born here and was a member of the Australian Senate, representing the Australian Democrats and the Unite Australia Party
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Elbeuf.|
- Official Elbeuf website (in French)
- Website of the Communauté d'Agglomération d'Elbeuf (in French)
- Website of the parish of Elbeuf (in French)
- Elbeuf on the Quid website (in French)
|This Rouen geographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|