|Deputy Prime Minister of Azerbaijan|
|Born||May 13, 1943|
Afandiyev was born to the family of famous Azerbaijani writer Ilyas Afandiyev on May 13, 1943 in Baku. Since his early childhood, Elchin Afandiyev was surrounded by literature and an academic environment. Azerbaijani folklore and world literature played a significant role in Afandiyev's future career. He wrote his first novel when he was 16 years old, which was published in Azərbaycan gəncləri (Azerbaijani Youth) magazine in 1959. He completed his secondary education in 1960 and studied at Baku State University, graduating in 1965 with a degree in philology. In 1968, he completed his post-graduate studies at the Nizami Institute of the Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences, writing a 500-page dissertation. In 1965, he published a collection of novels called Min gecədən biri (One of thousand nights). In the following years, nearly 100 books of Afandiyev were translated and published in English, French, German, Spanish, Turkish, Hungarian, Bulgarian, Arabic, Persian, Mandarin, Czech, Slovak, Polish, Croatian, Georgian, Lithuanian, Moldovan, Turkmen, Uzbek, Kazakh, Tajik, Serbian and other languages. There have been about five million copies sold worldwide.
During Soviet rule, Afandiyev was a deputy in the Supreme Soviet of the Azerbaijan SSR. Since 1993, he has served as Deputy Prime Minister of Azerbaijan. As a Deputy Prime Minister, he supervises various sectors of government activity such as sports and cultural relations. He has also chaired the Vətən cultural organization, which focuses on cultural ties with other countries. He is also a member of several government committees and is a member of Education Committee under the President of Azerbaijan.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Elchin Afandiyev.|
- "CIA. Chiefs of State and Cabinet Members of Foreign Governments". Archived from the original on 2010-05-28. Retrieved 2010-10-26. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Elçin Əfəndiyev. 24 yaşında 500 səhifəlik namizədlik dissertasiyası yazdım" [Elchin Afandiyev. I wrote a 500 page dissertation at the age of 24]. Archived from the original on 2010-10-25. Retrieved 2010-10-26. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Eastern Europe, Russia and Central Asia. United Kingdom: Europa Publications Limited. 2002. p. 119. ISBN 1-85743-137-5. Retrieved 2010-10-26.
- "Baku hosts CoE sports ministers meeting". Azernews. 2010-09-23. Archived from the original on 2011-07-06. Retrieved 2010-10-25. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Days of the Tatarstan culture take place in Baku". Tatar-inform. 2008-10-06. Retrieved 2010-10-25.
- "E. İ. Əfəndiyevin "İstiqlal" ordeni ilə təltif edilməsi haqqında AZƏRBAYCAN RESPUBLİKASI PREZİDENTİNİN FƏRMANI" [Order of the President of Azerbaijan Republic on awarding E.I. Afandiyev with istiglal Order of Azerbaijan Republic]. Archived from the original on 2012-03-30. Retrieved 2011-01-20. Cite uses deprecated parameter
|This article about an Azerbaijani politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an Azerbaijani writer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|