|Autonomous Community||Valencian Community|
|Province||Province of Alicante|
|• Mayor||Rubén Alfaro Bernabé (PSOE)|
|• Total||44.86 km2 (17.32 sq mi)|
|Elevation||395 m (1,296 ft)|
|• Density||1,100/km2 (2,900/sq mi)|
Elda, (Valencian: [ˈɛlda]) is a city located in the province of Alicante, Spain. As of 2009[update], it has a total population of 55,618 inhabitants, ranking as the 7th most populous city in the province. Elda joins together with the town of Petrer to form a conurbation with over 85,000 inhabitants. The river Vinalopó flows through the urban area of Elda.
Elda is known for its footwear industry, in particular for women's shoes. Tourist sites include the Footwear Museum, the Archaeological Museum, the Torre del Homenaje del castillo (a tower dating from the 12th century), Castelar Square, Count of Coloma Palace, the Town Hall and the church of Santa Ana. It also celebrates the important festival of Moros y Cristianos
CD Eldense is based in the city.
- Elia Barceló, the writer, was born here in 1957
- Ana Oncina the illustrator, was born here in 1989
- Pedrito Rico, singer, actor and dancer
- Alba Rico, Spanish singer and actress from Violetta, was born here in 1989.
- Juan Pascual Azorín Soriano, former mayor
- Ayuntamiento de Elda, Town Hall of Elda (in Spanish)
- Museo del Calzado, Footwear Museum of Elda (in Spanish)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Elda.|