16 August 1980|
Qiryat Motzkin, Israel
|Died||12 July 2006
|Occupation||Israeli soldier whose capture sparked the 2006 Lebanon War|
Eldad Regev (Hebrew: אלדד רגב, 16 August 1980 – 12 July 2006) was an Israeli soldier, born in Qiryat Motzkin, abducted by Hezbollah fighters along with Ehud Goldwasser on 12 July 2006 in Israel near the Lebanese border, sparking the 2006 Lebanon War. His rank was Sergeant First Class.
On 15 July 2008, coffins containing the remains of Goldwasser and Regev were returned to Israel as part of a prisoner exchange. Israeli officials claimed an examination of the bodies determined that the two reservists were killed during the ambush. A Lebanese minister claimed the soldiers were killed during the Israeli bombing.
Eldad was born and raised in Kiryat Motzkin. He attended secondary school at the Yeshiva High School in Kiryat Shmuel, excelling in biology. His mother Tova died when he was in the 12th grade. Eldad volunteered for the elite infantry Givati Brigade. After his army service in the Israel Defense Forces, he traveled to the Far East. He later enrolled in Bar-Ilan University's pre-law preparatory course. Eldad enjoyed soccer, music and books.
The fighting began at around 9 AM when Hezbollah launched a barrage of Katyusha rockets and mortars on Israeli towns and military positions along the Lebanese border, apparently as a diversion. A force then attacked two armored IDF Humvees patrolling near the Israeli village of Zar'it with anti-tank rockets, killing three soldiers and abducting the two others (Goldwasser and Regev), then retreating into Lebanon near the town of Ayta al-Sha`b.
An Israeli Merkava Mk. II tank was destroyed by an 200–300 kg IED while attempting to pursue the soldiers into Lebanon, killing all four crewmembers. An eighth soldier was reportedly killed attempting to retrieve their bodies.
On 16 July 2008, Hezbollah transferred the coffins of the two abducted Israeli soldiers, Ehud Goldwasser and Eldad Regev, in exchange for Samir Kuntar and four other Hezbollah members captured by Israel during the 2006 Lebanon War, as well as the remains of 199 Lebanese and Palestinians.
- "Israel buries remains of returned soldiers". CNN. 17 July 2008. Retrieved 22 November 2014.
- "Remains of abducted soldiers Goldwasser and Regev returned home". Israel Ministry of Foreign Affairs. 16 July 2006. Retrieved 22 November 2014.
- Myre, Greg; Erlanger, Steven (13 July 2006). "Clashes Spread to Lebanon as Hezbollah Raids Israel". The New York Times. Retrieved 1 May 2010.
- "IDF releases names of two reserve soldiers captured by Hezbollah". Haaretz.com. 13 July 2006.
- "UN identifying bodies presumed to be of Goldwasser, Regev". The Jerusalem Post. 16 July 2008.
- Myra Noveck; Graham Bowley (18 July 2008). "Funerals in Israel for Two Soldiers". The New York Times. Retrieved 18 July 2008.
- Official site about the 2006 MIAs (Shalit, Goldwasser, Regev), banim.org; accessed 22 November 2014.
- Our Boys: Downloadable AIM icons to show support and raise awareness
- Event of Two Israeli Soldiers Kidnapped, YnetNews.com; accessed 22 November 2014.