Eldridge M. Moores
Eldridge M. Moores
|Born||October 13, 1938|
Phoenix, Arizona, U.S.
|Died||October 28, 2018 (aged 80)|
|Institutions||University of California, Davis|
|Doctoral advisor||Harry Hess|
Eldridge Moores (October 13, 1938 – October 28, 2018) was an American geologist. He specialized in the understanding of ophiolites (fragments of oceanic crust and mantle that have been emplaced onto the continental crust) and the geology of the continental crust of the Western United States and Tethyan belt, the geology of Greece, Cyprus, and Pakistan, and the tectonic development of the Sierra Nevada and the Alpine - Himalayan systems.
In 1996, Moores was President of the Geological Society of America (GSA) and editor of the society's journal Geology from 1981 to 1989. He is the recipient of the GSA's Distinguished Service Award and the Geological Association of Canada Medal.
In 2013, Eldridge Moores was awarded the title of UC Davis distinguished professor emeritus. This title is awarded annually by the UC Davis Emeriti Association on the basis of outstanding contributions following retirement in the traditional areas of teaching, research and service.
- Eldridge M. Moores, Robert J. Twiss (1995) Tectonics (W. H. Freeman)
- Robert J. Twiss, Eldridge M. Moores, (December 15, 2006) Structural Geology 2nd edition, (W. H. Freeman)
- Eldridge M. Moores (Editor)(2003) Volcanoes and Earthquakes (Discoveries).
- Lauret E. Savoy, Eldridge M. Moores, and Judith E. Moores, editors, (2006) Bedrock: Writers on the Wonders of Geology (Trinity University Press)
- Carol S. Prentice, Judith G. Scotchmoor, Eldridge M. Moores, John P. Kiland (Editors) (2006) 1906 San Francisco Earthquake Centennial Field Guide (Geological Society of America)
- Richard Rodriguez, Sandra Phillips, Aaron Betsky, Eldridge Moores, Eldridge M. Moores (1996) Crossing the Frontier: Photographs of the Developing West, 1849 to the Present (Chronicle Book)
- Yildirim Dilek, Eldridge M. Moores, Don Elthon, and Adolphe Nicolas (editors) (2001) Ophiolites and Oceanic Crust: New Insights from Field Studies and the Ocean Drilling Program (Special Paper of the Geological Society of America)
- "Eldridge M. Moores (1938-2018)". UC Davis Earth and Planetary Sciences. Retrieved November 2, 2018.
- GSA Past Leaders http://www.geosociety.org/GSA/About/Leadership/Past_Leaders/GSA/About/Past_Leaders.aspx
- Tectonics, W. H. Freeman (1995); ISBN 9780716724377
- Structural Geology, Macmillan Higher Education (2006); ISBN 9780716749516
- Assembling California (1998); Farrar, Straus and Giroux / Macmillan (1993); ISBN 9780374523930
- Annals of the Former World, John McPhee; Farrar Straus & Giroux, New York, NY (1998); ISBN 9780374105204
- Eldridge Moores Papers at Special Collections Dept., University Library, University of California, Davis
|This article about an American scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article about an Earth scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|