Eleanor Jones Harvey
This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (November 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Eleanor Harvey was born in Washington, D.C., and earned a B.A. with distinction from the University of Virginia, as well as an M.A. and Ph.D. from Yale University, in Art History. She served as curator of American art at the Dallas Museum of Art from 1992-2002. In January 2003, she became the curator for the Luce Foundation Center for American Art at the Smithsonian American Art Museum, and served as the museum's Chief Curator from 2003 until 2012. She is currently Senior Curator. Her research interests include 19th- and 20th-century American art, landscape painting, Alexander von Humboldt, Southwestern abstraction, and Texas art. Her most recent exhibitions at the Smithsonian American Art Museum were The Civil War and American Art in 2012-13, Variations on America: Masterworks from the American Art Forum Collections in 2007 and An Impressionist Sensibility: The Halff Collection in 2006.
|The Civil War and American Art, C-SPAN, November 15, 2012|
|Podcast: The Civil War and American Art, Episode 1, Smithsonian American Art Museum|
- Eleanor Jones Harvey (2013-02-05). "America's Moral Volcano". NYTimes.com. Retrieved 2013-02-15.
- The Civil War and American Art. Yale University Press. 2012. ISBN 9780300187335.
- Eleanor Jones Harvey, Gerald L. Carr. The Voyage of the Icebergs: Frederic Church's Arctic Masterpiece. Dallas Museum of Art, 2002, ISBN 9780300095364
- The Painted Sketch: American Impressions from Nature, 1830-1880. Exh. cat. Dallas Museum of Art, 1998. New York: Harry Abrams, 1998, ISBN 9780810963641
- An Impressionist Sensibility: The Halff Collection. Exh. cat. Smithsonian American Art Museum, 2006-2007. Smithsonian American Art Museum, 2006, ISBN 9781904832324
- Avery, Kevin J. & Kelly, Frank (2003). Hudson River School Visions: The Landscapes of Sanford R. Gifford. New York: The Metropolitan Museum of Art. ISBN 9780300101843. (has essay by Harvey)
- "Eleanor Jones Harvey, Senior Curator, Smithsonian Art Museum". Smithsonian Office of Fellowships and Internships Research Staff Listing. Retrieved 2013-02-15.
- "Dr. Eleanor Jones Harvey Receives Appointment as Dallas Museum of Art's Curator of American Art". Dallas Museum of Art, Dallas, Dallas Texas. 2010-11-01. Archived from the original on 2012-01-27. Retrieved 2013-02-15.
- Smithsonian Names: Eleanor Jones Harvey
- "Eleanor Jones Harvey, Senior Curator". SAAM. March 1, 2017. Retrieved July 9, 2019.
- Smithsonian American Art Museum Staff Biography Archived 2013-02-25 at the Wayback Machine, Smithsonian American Art Museum Press Room, August 2012, retrieved February 19, 2013.
- "The Civil War and American Art". C-SPAN. November 15, 2012. Retrieved February 16, 2012.
- "The Civil War and American Art, Episode 1". Smithsonian American Art Museum. Retrieved February 15, 2012.