Eleanor McMain Secondary School
Eleanor Laura McMain Secondary School is a secondary school in Uptown New Orleans, Louisiana. It is directly operated by Inspire charter network. The school was named in honor of New Orleans social activist Eleanor McMain. Students and Alumni refer to the schools appearance as "The Birthday Cake" because of its square shape and candle-like pillars.
As Hurricane Katrina was about to hit, the New Orleans Regional Transit Authority (RTA) designated McMain as a place where people could receive transportation to the Louisiana Superdome, a shelter of last resort.
- Lil Wayne (Dwayne Michael Carter Jr.) attended McMain in the 1990s for two years. He moved to the Marion Abramson Senior High School.
- Emeka Onyenekwu [NFL] Defensive End. Attended but graduated from McKinley High school in Baton Rouge following Hurricane Katrina
- Darrion Weems - NFL offensive tackle. Attended but did not graduate McMain (displaced by Hurricane Katrina)
- "From the desk of the Principal." McMain Secondary School. December 16, 2007. Retrieved on March 18, 2013.
- Morris, Robert. "Open-admission Uptown high schools miss state averages in most subjects." Uptown Messenger. July 6, 2012. Retrieved on August 3, 2012.
- Sisco, Annette. "McMain class of 1941 holds 70th reunion, celebrate the event in Metairie." The Times-Picayune. Wednesday June 8, 2011. Retrieved on March 18, 2013.
- Nolan, Bruce. "KATRINA TAKES AIM." The Times-Picayune. Sunday August 28, 2005. Retrieved on March 18, 2013.
- Montoya, Maria C. and Keith Spera (music writer). "Lil Wayne goes back to school (story and video)." New Orleans Times Picayune. Saturday February 23, 2008. Retrieved on March 16, 2013.
- McMain Secondary School (Archive)