Eleanor Chana Mlotek (née Gordon; April 9, 1922 – November 4, 2013) was a musicologist, specializing in Yiddish folklore. Isaac Bashevis Singer, the Yiddish writer and Nobel laureate, once called Mrs. Mlotek and her husband, Joseph, “the Sherlock Holmeses of Yiddish folk songs.”
WorldCat lists her as author of 70 works in 112 editions, in 6 languages. They include both collections of music and exhibition catalogs of Yiddish authors. She held the position of Music Archivist at the YIVO Institute for Jewish Research, and was also a columnist at the Yiddish Forward for over forty years.
She was born in Brooklyn and is the mother of Zalmen Mlotek, the artistic director of the Folksbiene.
- Mlotek, Eleanor G. S. Ansky: (Shloyme-Zanvl Rappoport) 1863-1920 : His Life and Works : Catalog of an Exhibition. [New York]: YIVO Institute for Jewish Research, 1980.
- Mlotek, Eleanor G., Malke Gottlieb, and Roslyn Bresnick-Perry. מיר זיינען דא : לידער פון די געטאס און לאגערן / Mir Zaynen Do: Lider Fun Di Geṭos Un Lagern. (We are here: songs of the Holocaust) New York, N.Y.: Aroysgegebn fun Bildungs ḳomiṭeṭ fun Arbeṭer-ring, 1983.
- Mlotek, Eleanor and Joseph Mlotek. Songs of Generations: New Pearls of Yiddish Song. New York, NY: Workmen's Circle.
- Mlotek, Eleanor and Joseph Mlotek. Pearls of Yiddish Song: Favorite Folk, Art and Theater Songs. New York, NY: Workmen's Circle, 1988.
- Mlotek, Eleanor G. Mir Trogn A Gezang: Favorite Yiddish Songs. 4th Edition. New York, NY: Workmen's Circle, 2000.
- Rubin, Ruth, Eleanor G. Mlotek, and Mark Slobin. Yiddish folksongs from the Ruth Rubin Archive. Detroit, Mich: Wayne State University Press, 2007.
- Mlotek, Eleanor and Joseph Mlotek. Pearls of Yiddish Poetry. New York, NY: KTAV Publishing Press, 2010.
- Molotek, Eleanor Gordon. "International motifs in the Yiddish ballad" studies in Jewish Language and Literature 209-281 (1964)
- Molotek, Eleanor Gordon. "America in East European folksong" The Field of Yiddish 1: 178-198 (1954)
- Berger, Joseph (2013-11-04). "A Yiddishe Momme of Music, Chana Mlotek, Dies at 91". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2017-07-27.
- WorldCat Identities
- "Contributions of Jewish Women to Music and Women to Jewish Music" Archived 2012-03-25 at the Wayback Machine.
- Ruth R. Wisse, Review of Pearls of Yiddish Poetry (2010) on publisher's website. Retrieved 4 July 2015.
- YIVO. "YIVO Mourns the Passing of Chana Mlotek, 1922-2013". yivo.org. Archived from the original on 4 November 2013. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- Berger, Joseph (November 4, 2013). "A Yiddishe Momme of Music, Chana Mlotek, Dies at 91." The New York Times. Retrieved 4 July 2015.
- "Music of the Holocaust: Highlights from the Collection" United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-03-30. Retrieved 2012-04-09.