Elections in Karnataka
Elections in Karnataka, a state in India are conducted in accordance with the Constitution of India. The Assembly of Karnataka creates laws regarding the conduct of local body elections unilaterally while any changes by the state legislature to the conduct of state level elections need to be approved by the Parliament of India. In addition, the state legislature may be dismissed by the Parliament according to Article 356 of the Indian Constitution and President's rule may be imposed.
Main Political Parties in Karnataka
INC: Indian National Congress, INC(I) or Cong(I): Indira Congress, NCO or INC(O): Organizational Congress (of Morarji Desai, Nijalingappa, Sajiva Reddy group)
BJP: Bharatiya Janata Party, BJS or JS: Bharatiya Jana Sangh (precursor of BJP)
Janatha Party/Dal, JD(S) of Deve Gowda and his son Kumaraswamy, JD(U) and Lok Shakti of Ramkrishna Hegde, Karnataka Vedike (ulta-right Kannada movement)
PSP: Praja Socialist Party, SSP: Samyukta Socialist Party, CPI: Communist Party of India, CPM: CPI(Marxist)
Swatantra Party, RPI: Republican Party of India, MES: Maharashtra Ekikaran Samiti
Lok Sabha elections
It is worth noting that the 1951-1971 election are results from Mysore State.
|Year||Lok Sabha Election||Winning Party/Coalition/Party-wise Details|
|1951||First Lok Sabha||Indian National Congress: 10 out of 11. (Mysore State) |
|1957||Second Lok Sabha||Indian National Congress: 22/25 (Mysore State)|
|1962||Third Lok Sabha||Indian National Congress|
|1967||Fourth Lok Sabha||Indian National Congress|
|1971||Fifth time pass||Indian National Congress|
|1977||Sixth Lok Sabha||Total: 28. Congress: 26/28. Janata Party, a.k.a. BLD: 2.|
|1980||Seventh Lok Sabha||Congress(Indira): 27/28, Janata Party: 1|
|1984||Eighth Lok Sabha||Indian National Congress: 24/28, Janatha Party: 4|
|1989||Ninth Lok Sabha||Indian National Congress: 27/28, Janata Dal: 1|
|1991||Tenth Lok Sabha||Indian National Congress: 23/28, BJP: 4, Janata: 1|
|1996||Eleventh Lok Sabha||United Front (JD): 16/28, BJP: 6, Congress: 5.|
|1998||12-th Lok Sabha||From 1998 onwards, see detailed results below.|
- More detailed Lok Sabha results from 1998 :
- 1998: Total Seats: 28. BJP: 13, Hegde's Lok Shakti: 3, JD: 3, Congress: 9
- 1999: Congress: 18/28; NDA: 10 (BJP + Hegde's JD(U): 7+3=10); Deve Gowda's JS(S): Zero
- 2004: BJP: 18, Congress: 8, JD(S): 2
- 2009: BJP: 19, Congress: 6, JD(S): 3
- 2014: Total: 28. BJP: 17/28, Congress: 9, JD(S): 2
Vidhan Sabha elections
- 1952 Vidhan Sabha. (Mysore State) Total: 99. Congress: 74/99, BJS: Zero, KMPP: 8, CPI: 1, Ind: 11. 
- 1957 Vidhan Sabha. Total: 208. Congress: 150. PSP: 15. 
- 1962 Vidhan Sabha. Total: 208. Congress: 138, PSP: 20, Swatantra: 9, MES: 6, CPI: 3, Ind: 27. (CMs: S R Kanthi, Nijalingappa)
- 1967 Vidhan Sabha. Total: 216. Congress: 126, PSP: 20, SSP: 6, Swatantra: 16, Jan Sangh: 4, CPI: 1, CMP:1, RPI: 1, Ind: 41. (CMs: Nijalingappa, Veerendra Patil)
- 1972 Vidhan Sabha. Total: 216. Congress: 165, NCO: 24, Jan Sangh: Zero, CPI: 3, Ind: 20. (CM: Devaraj Urs) 
- 1978 Total: 224. Congress(I): 149/224, Janatha Party: 59 (CMs: Devaraj Urs, Gundu Rao)
- 1983 Total: 224. Janata+BJP: 95+18, Congress(I): 82, Ind: 22 (Janata Party CM: Ramakrishna Hegde)
- 1985 Janata Party: 139/224, Cong: 65, BJP: 2 (Janata Party Chief Ministers: Ramakrishna Hegde, S R Bommai)
- 1989 Congress: 178/224, Janata Dal: 24, BJP: 4 (Congress CMs: Veerendra Patil, Bangarappa, Veerappa Moily)
- 1994 Janata Dal: 115, BJP: 40, Congress: 34 (Janata Dal Chief Ministers: H D Deve Gowda, J H Patel)
- 1999 Total Seats: 224. Congress: 132, BJP: 44, JD(S): 10. (Chief Minister: S M Krishna)
- 2004 Total Seats: 224. BJP: 79, Congress: 65, JD(S): 58. Chief Ministers: Dharam Singh (INC, w JD(S) support), H D Kumaraswamy (JD(S), w BJP support), Yeddyurappa for 7 days (BJP w JD(S) support disputed)
- 2008 BJP: 110/224, Congress: 80, JD(S): 28. Chief Ministers, all from BJP: (Yeddyurappa, Sadanand Gowda, Jagdish Shettar)
- 2013 Congress: 122/224, BJP: 40, JD(S): 40. Chief Minister: (Siddaramaih of Congress)
- "Statistical Report on Lok Sabha Elections 1951-52". Election Commission of India.
- "Statistical Report on Karnataka/Mysore Vidhan Sabha Elections 1952" (PDF). Election Commission of India.
- "Statistical Report on Karnataka/Mysore Vidhan Sabha Elections 1957". Election Commission of India.
- "Statistical Report on Karnataka Vidhan Sabha Elections 1972". Election Commission of India.