Electoral (Amendment) Act 1995
The Electoral (Amendment) Act, 1995 (No. 21/1995) was a law of Ireland which provided for parliamentary constituencies in the 28th Dáil Éireann. The 28th Dáil was elected at the 1997 general election on 6 June 1997 and dissolved on 25 April 2002.
This Act replaced the Electoral (Amendment) Act 1990, which defined the constituencies used for the 27th Dáil (1992–97). It was itself replaced by the Electoral (Amendment) (No. 2) Act 1998, which created a new pattern of constituencies for the 29th Dáil (elected in 2002).
Summary of changes
This list, and those below, summarises the changes in representation. It does not address revisions to the boundaries of constituencies.
|Galway East||1977||4||gains 1 seat|
|Kildare North||1997||3||new constituency|
|Kildare South||1997||3||new constituency|
|Tipperary South||1948||3||loses 1 seat|
List of constituencies for the 28th Dáil
Explanation of columns
- No.: The number of the constituency (in alphabetical order).
- Constituency: The name of the constituency. Compass points follow the area name in this list, which is not always the case in the official version of the name.
- Created: The year of the election when a constituency of the same name was last created.
- Seats: The number of TDs elected from the constituency under the Act.
- Change: Change in the number of seats since the last distribution of seats (which took effect in 1992).
|22||Galway East||1977||4||plus 1|
|26||Kildare North||1997||3||plus 3|
|27||Kildare South||1997||3||plus 3|
|37||Tipperary South||1948||3||minus 1|
Note ^A : Laoighis–Offaly is the same constituency as Leix–Offaly 1921–1961. Only the spelling of the first county name, in the legislation providing for parliamentary constituencies, changed.
|Mayo East||1969||3||minus 3|
|Mayo West||1969||3||minus 3|
- List of historic Dáil Éireann constituencies
- Parliamentary constituencies in the Republic of Ireland
- Elections in the Republic of Ireland