Electoral (Revision of Constituencies) Act 1935
The Electoral (Revision of Constituencies) Act, 1935 (No. 5/1935) was a law in Ireland which provided for parliamentary constituencies in the 9th Dáil Éireann. The 9th Dáil was elected at the 1937 general election on 1 July 1937 and dissolved on 27 May 1938.
This Act replaced the Electoral Act 1923, which defined the constituencies used for the 4th Dáil (1923–27), 5th Dáil (1927), 6th Dáil (1927–32), 7th Dáil (1932–33) and 8th Dáil (1933–37). It was itself replaced by the Electoral (Amendment) Act 1947, which created a new pattern of constituencies for the 13th Dáil (elected in 1948).
It also reduced the number of seats in the Dáil by 15 from 153 to 138.
Summary of changes
This list, and those below, summarises the changes in representation. It does not address revisions to the boundaries of constituencies.
|Cork Borough||1921||4||loses 1 seat|
|Cork North||1923||4||gains 1 seat|
|Cork South-East||1937||3||new constituency|
|Donegal East||1937||4||new constituency|
|Donegal West||1937||3||new constituency|
|Dublin County||1921||5||loses 3 seats|
|Dublin North-East||1937||3||new constituency|
|Dublin North-West||1937||5||new constituency|
|Dublin Townships||1937||3||new constituency|
|Galway East||1937||4||new constituency|
|Galway West||1937||3||new constituency|
|Kerry North||1937||4||new constituency|
|Kerry South||1937||3||new constituency|
|Mayo North||1923||3||loses 1 seat|
|Roscommon||1923||3||loses 1 seat|
List of constituencies for the 9th Dáil
Explanation of columns
- No.: The number of the constituency (in alphabetical order).
- Constituency: The name of the constituency. Compass points follow the area name in this list, which is not always the case in the official version of the name.
- Created: The year of the election when a constituency of the same name was last created.
- Seats: The number of TDs elected from the constituency under the Act.
- Change: Change in the number of seats since the last distribution of seats (which took effect in 1923).
|05||Cork Borough||1921||4||plus 1|
|06||Cork North||1923||4||plus 1|
|07||Cork South-East||1937||3||plus 3|
|09||Donegal East||1937||4||plus 4|
|10||Donegal West||1937||3||plus 3|
|11||Dublin County||1921||5||minus 3|
|12||Dublin North-East||1937||3||plus 3|
|13||Dublin North-West||1937||5||plus 5|
|15||Dublin Townships||1937||3||plus 3|
|16||Galway East||1937||4||plus 4|
|17||Galway West||1937||3||plus 3|
|18||Kerry North||1937||4||plus 4|
|19||Kerry South||1937||3||plus 3|
|25||Mayo North||1923||3||minus 1|
|Cork East||1923||5||minus 5|
|Dublin North||1923||8||minus 8|
- List of historic Dáil Éireann constituencies
- Parliamentary constituencies in the Republic of Ireland
- Elections in the Republic of Ireland