Electoral College (India)
The President of India is indirectly elected by means of an electoral college consisting of the Parliament of India and the legislative assemblies of the states and the Union Territories of Delhi and Puducherry. The votes are based on the population in 1971 rather than the current population, as a result of the 42nd Amendment, and extended by the 84th Amendment, with the intention to encourage family planning programs in the states by ensuring that states are not penalized for lowering their population growth.
The electoral college is made up of the following:
- elected members of the Rajya Sabha (upper house of the Parliament of India);
- elected members of the Lok Sabha (lower house of the Parliament of India);
- elected members of each state Legislative Assembly; and
- elected members of each union territory possessing an assembly (i.e., Delhi and Puducherry).
Weighting of votes
The value of votes cast by elected members of the state legislative assemblies and both houses of parliament are determined by the provisions of article 55(2) of the Constitution of India. The details of number of voters and votes for this presidential election are given below. Per the 84th Amendment, the 1971 census is used, and will continue to be used until 2026.
The formula for determining the number of votes held by an elector is
That is, the average constituency size, determined by the 1971 census, in his or her state, divided by 1,000.
The number of votes for MLAs are as follows:
|Sr. No.||Name of state or union territory||Number of Assembly seats (elective)||Population (1971 Census)||Value of vote of each MLA||Total value of votes for the state or union territory|
|10.||Jammu and Kashmir||87||6,300,000||72||6,264|
|29.||NCT of Delhi||70||4,065,698||58||4,060|
Total Members of Parliament= Lok Sabha (543) + Rajya Sabha (233) = 776
The value of a MP's vote is calculated by dividing the total value of all MLAs' votes by the number of MPs.
- Value of each vote = 549,474/776 = 708.09, rounded to 708
- Total value of votes of Parliament = 776*708 = 549,408
- Total number of electors = MLAs + MPs = 4,896
- Total number of votes = 1,098,882