Electoral Registration and Administration Act 2013
|Introduced by||Nick Clegg|
|Territorial extent||United Kingdom|
|Royal assent||31 January 2013|
Status: Current legislation
|History of passage through Parliament|
|Text of statute as originally enacted|
The Electoral Registration and Administration Act 2013 (c. 6) is an Act of the Parliament of the United Kingdom which amended electoral law in the United Kingdom. It introduced Individual Electoral Registration (IER).
The Westminster government had introduced IER to Northern Ireland in 2002 in the Electoral Fraud (Northern Ireland) Act 2002, but England, Wales and Scotland continued to use a system of householder registration.
With the Sixth Periodic Review of Westminster constituencies in some doubt following the collapse of the House of Lords Reform Bill 2012, there had been some criticism of the money spent on boundary reviews whilst also favouring introducing IER. The Electoral Commission suggested that there could be a severe drop in turnout as a result. Section 6 of the Bill effectively postpones the Sixth Periodic Review until "not before 1 October 2018".
There are three Parts to the Bill.
Part 1: Individual Electoral Registration in Great Britain
Alterations and improvements to the annual canvass of voters are introduced in this Part.
Part 2: Administration and Conduct of Elections etc
This part alters the timetable of parliamentary elections, modifies the timetable for civil parish elections in England and Wales, changes the regulations around the register of electors in specific circumstances, and alters the 1983 Representation of the People Act with regard to polling districts.
Section 18 introduces changes to current regulations relating to the 'inadequate performance' of returning officers.
Part 3: Final Provisions
This section deals with the extent and name of the Bill.
Committee stage discussion of the Bill commenced on Monday 29 November. Amongst proposed amendments put forward for debate is a new clause allowing for weekend voting, put forward by Lord Rennard and Lord Tyler.
- "House of Commons Hansard for 10 May 2012". Hansard. Parliament of the United Kingdom. 10 May 2012. Retrieved 2013-01-31.
- Text of proposed Bill Parliament.uk
- BBC News, 15 September 2010, Individual voter ID plan brought forward to 2014
- UK Government 'wastes' £1m on plans to change Parliamentary boundaries Wales News
- Trouble brewing in the Lords BBC News
- Peers vote to delay boundary review PoliticsHome
- The Electoral Registration and Administration Bill begins committee stage, line by line scrutiny of the bill, in the House of Lords today (Monday 29 October) Parliament.uk