Electoral district of Gippsland South
Location of Gippsland South (dark green) in Victoria
|Area||7,429 km2 (2,868.4 sq mi)|
The electoral district of Gippsland South (initially known as South Gippsland) is a Lower House electoral district of the Victorian Parliament. It is located within the Eastern Victoria Region of the Legislative Council .
Gippsland South extends along the state's coast from Venus Bay to Loch Sport and includes the country Victorian towns of Foster, Korumburra, Leongatha, Mirboo North, Port Albert, Port Welshpool, Rosedale, Sale and Yarram. The electorate includes all of South Gippsland Shire and the southern parts of Wellington Shire. Industries include agriculture, timber production and tourism. Dairying is the biggest agricultural contributor to the local economy. Natural features include Wilsons Promontory National Park, Corner Inlet, and a number of lakes and islands along the coast and border.
Its area was initially defined by the 1858 Electoral Act as: "Commencing at the mouth of Merryman's Creek[a] on the Ninety Mile Beach; bounded on the north by Merryman's Creek to where the road from Tarraville to Rosedale crosses said creek near Bayless's pre-emptive right, thence by a line west fourteen degrees to Buneep; on the west by the counties of Evelyn and Mornington to Cape Patterson; and on the south and south-east by the sea-coast to the commencing point"
The Electoral Act Amendment Act of 1888 created new districts of Gippsland Central, Gippsland East and Gippsland West and reduced the size of Gippsland South (renaming it from South Gippsland) and Gippsland North.
Sir Herbert Hyland held the seat for thirty years from 1929 until he died in office in 1970. He held many portfolios in government including Transport, Chief Secretary, State Development, Labour, Decentralisation and Transport and Prices. Hyland was knighted in 1952, and elected leader of the parliamentary Country Party in 1955.
a = now known as Merriman Creek
Members for Gippsland South
|Sir Herbert Hyland||Country||1929–1970|
|Total formal votes||36,850||94.53||+0.04|
- "An Act to alter the Electoral Districts of Victoria and to increase the number of Members of the Legislative Assembly thereof" (PDF). 1858. Retrieved 6 May 2013.
- "Re-Member (Former Members)". State Government of Victoria. Retrieved 6 May 2013.
- "Gippsland South Results". Victorian Election 2014: Victoria Votes. ABC. 10 December 2014. Retrieved 12 February 2015.
- "Dairy in Gippsland". Dairy Australia. GippsDairy. Retrieved 12 February 2015.
- "An Act to alter the Electoral Districts of Victoria and to increase the number of Members of the Legislative Assembly thereof" (PDF). 1858. Retrieved 9 June 2013.
- "The Electoral Act Amendment Act 1888" (pdf). Retrieved 13 June 2013.
- State Election 2018: Gippsland South District, VEC.