Electric Music for the Mind and Body
|Electric Music for the Mind and Body|
|Studio album by Country Joe and the Fish|
|Released||May 11, 1967|
Sierra Sound Laboratories, Berkeley, California |
by Robert DeSouza
|Genre||Psychedelic rock, acid rock, blues rock|
|Country Joe and the Fish chronology|
Tracks from the LP, especially "Section 43", "Grace", and "Not So Sweet Martha Lorraine" were played on progressive FM rock stations like KSAN and KMPX in San Francisco, often back-to-back. A version of the song "Love" was performed at the 1969 Woodstock Festival.
The album was recorded during the first week of February 1967 at Sierra Sound Laboratories, Berkeley, California, by Robert DeSouza, with production by Samuel Charters. It was released on May 11, 1967, on the Vanguard label. Due to deterioration of the original master tapes, the album was remixed in 1982 and this remix was used for the original CD release in 1990; in 2013 a new two-disc deluxe version appeared which included both the original mono and stereo mixes. The liner notes to the 2013 version state that an outtake from the sessions, "Thought Dream", was later included on the band's follow-up, I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin'-to-Die.
Bruce Eder in a retrospective review for AllMusic felt that the album is "one of the most important and enduring documents of the psychedelic era". The album was included in Robert Dimery's 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die.
All songs by Country Joe McDonald, except where noted
- "Flying High" – 2:38
- "Not So Sweet Martha Lorraine" – 4:21
- "Death Sound Blues" – 4:23 - Labeled as "Death Sound" on the mono version of the album
- "Happiness Is a Porpoise Mouth" – 2:48 - Labeled as "Porpoise Mouth" on the mono version of the album
- "Section 43" – 7:23
- "Superbird" – 2:04
- "Sad and Lonely Times" – 2:23
- "Love" (Joe McDonald, Barry Melton, David Cohen, Bruce Barthol, John Francis Gunning, Gary Hirsh) – 2:19
- "Bass Strings" – 4:58
- "The Masked Marauder" – 3:10
- "Grace" – 7:03
- Country Joe and the Fish
- Country Joe McDonald - vocals, guitar, bells, tambourine
- Barry Melton - vocals, guitar
- David Cohen - guitar, organ
- Bruce Barthol - bass, harmonica
- Gary "Chicken" Hirsh - drums
- Jules Halfant - sleeve design
- Bruce Eder. "Electric Music for the Mind and Body - Country Joe & the Fish". Allmusic. Retrieved 29 November 2005.
- ^ Robert Dimery; Michael Lydon (23 March 2010). 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die: Revised and Updated Edition. Universe. ISBN 978-0-7893-2074-2.