Electrical and Mechanical Services Department
|Employees||349 (March 2010) |
|Annual budget||HK$463.7m (2009-10) |
The Electrical and Mechanical Services Department (EMSD; Chinese: 機電工程署) is a Hong Kong government department responsible for inspection and enforcement of operation and safety of many electricity and gas installations; railways and trams; lifts and escalators; amusement rides; working platforms on building sites, and many other diverse areas. The department has two main branches: Regulatory Services and Trading Services. The department falls under the purview of the Development Bureau. The current Director of Electrical and Mechanical Services is Mr Frank Chan. The two deputy directors are Mr . W. H. SIT, JP(Regulatory Services) and Mr. T. H. TAI, JP(Trading Services).
- Railways Branch: In February 2008, the department absorbed and expanded the small Hong Kong Railway Inspectorate (HKRI) from the Transport and Housing Bureau (THB), renaming it the Railways Branch. The Railways Branch has regulatory responsibility for the railway lines operated by the MTR Corporation and the automated people mover operated by the Airport Authority in the terminal building of the Hong Kong International Airport, as well as (since the move from THB) Hong Kong Tramways and the Peak Tram. The former HKRI had been responsible for the railway lines operated by the then Kowloon–Canton Railway Corporation. Its main functions are investigation of railway incidents, oversight of railway safety, assessment and approval of new railways and major modifications, and assessment and follow up of improvement measures by railway operators. The unit consists of 14 professional and support staff.
- Electricity and Energy Efficiency Branch
- Gas & General Legislation Branch
There are 3 branches under the Trading Services and each branch is led by a Assistant Director.
- Engineering Services Branch 1
- Engineering Branch 2
- General Engineering Services Division
- Municipal Sector Division
- Health Sector Division
- Corporate Support and Business Development Branch