Electrical and Mechanical Services Department
|Formed||1948 (as Electrical and Mechanical Office)|
1982 (as Electrical and Mechanical Services Department)
|Headquarters||3 Kai Shing Street, Kowloon, Hong Kong|
|Employees||5,283 (March 2017) |
|Annual budget||HK$915.8m (2018-19) |
|Deputy Minister responsible|
|Parent department||Development Bureau|
Politics and government|
of Hong Kong
|Related topics Hong Kong portal|
The Electrical and Mechanical Services Department (EMSD; Chinese: 機電工程署) is a Hong Kong government department responsible for inspection and enforcement of operation and safety of many electricity and gas installations; railways and trams; lifts and escalators; amusement rides; working platforms on building sites, and many other diverse areas. The department has two main branches: Regulatory Services and Trading Services. The department falls under the purview of the Development Bureau. The incumbent Director of Electrical and Mechanical Services is Alfred Sit. The two deputy directors are H. C. Lai and T. H. Tai.
- Railways Branch: In February 2008, the department absorbed and expanded the small Hong Kong Railway Inspectorate (HKRI) from the Transport and Housing Bureau (THB), renaming it the Railways Branch. The Railways Branch has regulatory responsibility for the railway lines operated by the MTR Corporation and the automated people mover operated by the Airport Authority in the terminal building of the Hong Kong International Airport, as well as (since the move from THB) Hong Kong Tramways and the Peak Tram. The former HKRI had been responsible for the railway lines operated by the then Kowloon–Canton Railway Corporation. Its main functions are investigation of railway incidents, oversight of railway safety, assessment and approval of new railways and major modifications, and assessment and follow up of improvement measures by railway operators. The unit consists of 14 professional and support staff.
- Electricity and Energy Efficiency Branch
- Gas & General Legislation Branch
There are three branches under the Trading Services and each branch is led by an assistant director.
- Engineering Services Branch 1
- Engineering Branch 2
- General Engineering Services Division
- Municipal Sector Division
- Health Sector Division
- Corporate Support and Business Development Branch
Innovation and Development
In 2018, EMSD has setup an Interactive Learning Center in 4/F, EMSD HQ. The learning center has introduced the latest VR (Virtual_reality) Learning systems for Electrical and Mechanical industry including the first LED Immersive CAVE in Hong Kong by combing the technologies of immersive VR and BIM (Building_information_modeling)  and the VR training system for Kai_Tak_Cruise_Terminal Passenger Boarding Bridges.
- "12th Issue (April 2008) (533)". www.emsd.gov.hk. Retrieved 26 March 2018.
- "Welcome Message (4)". www.emsd.gov.hk. Retrieved 24 March 2018.
- "Senior appointment announced". Hong Kong's Information Services Department. Retrieved 24 March 2018.
- EMSD Message from the Director 2007 Archived 2011-07-16 at the Wayback Machine
- Legislative Council Panel on Transport LC Paper No. CB(1)263/07-08(04)
- "Immersive VR with immense commercial benefits - Motive Force". www.hkstp.org. HKSTP.
- EMSD. "Care, Serving and Co-Creating for 70 Years and Beyond" (PDF). Cite journal requires