Electronic Cottage was a printed magazine that championed and examined DIY cassette culture phenomenon, including reviewers of sound collage, noise music, electronic music and other forms of experimental music. There were six issue produced between the years 1989 to 1991. The first issue was published in April 1989. Hal McGee was the magazine's editor and publisher. The magazine was based in Apollo Beach, Florida.
Policy on community
Electronic Cottage was the only magazine devoted entirely to the home-taper scene. It emphasized its community communication aspect, with mailing addresses included in the magazine, as well as ample information to introduce its readers to new sound artists with the goal of facilitating further creative interaction between home tapers.
Three cassette compilations were produced by Hal McGee in association with his Electronic Cottage magazine. They included quirky spoken-word pieces, dark noise music, incidental music, ambient music, sound collage, psychedelia, synthesizer music, folksy, pop, and weird rock music.
- Hal McGee
- Andrew Orford
- Al Margolis (If, Bwana)
- Chris Phinney
- Dave Prescott
- Bill Waid
- Dan Fioretti
- Carl Howard
- John Hudak
- Allan Conroy
- John Collegio
- Jeph Jerman
- Roger Moneymaker
- Robin James
- Bret Hart
- Gwen Allen, Artists' Magazines: An Alternative Space for Art, The MIT Press
- Thomas Bey William Bailey, Unofficial Release: Self-Released And Handmade Audio In Post-Industrial Society, Belsona Books Ltd.
- Jon Pareles on cassette underground, The New York Times, May 11, 1987
- Robin James ed. Cassette Mythos, Autonomedia, 1992
- Neil Strauss “Putting the Net Over Networking", in Cassette Mythos, Autonomedia, pp. 130–132
- Hal McGee, “Early Experiences”, 2011 online article 
- Hal McGee's manifesto in Electronic Cottage issue 1 number 1, pp. 5–7
- "Electronic Cottage Issue One". Archive. Retrieved 19 February 2016.
- "Issue One" (PDF). Electronic Cottage. April 1989. p. 3. Retrieved 19 February 2016.
- Hal McGee's manifesto in Electronic Cottage issue 1 number 1, pp. 5-7
- Polansky, Larry (1991). "Publications Reviews: News of Music: Access to Discussion and Information / Electronic Cottage: International Magazine". Leonardo Music Journal. 1 (1). pp. 115–116. ISSN 0961-1215.