The Ford EDIS or Electronic Distributorless Ignition System is a computer-controlled ignition system developed by Ford that uses an ignition coil for each pair of cylinders (wasted spark). All the coils are placed in a single module called a coilpack.
Vehicles with EDIS
Ford used the EDIS module on a number of vehicles from 1990 to 199X.
- Ford Escort / Mercury Tracer
- Ford Fiesta (Europe)
- Ford Escort (Europe)
- Ford Sierra (Europe)
- Ford Scorpio (Europe)
- Ford Mondeo (Europe)
This system was also used on the 1995–2001 4-cylinder Ford Rangers and 1995–2001 Mazda B2300,B2500. But was incorporated into the EEC-V ECU, so there is no external module.
- Ford Ranger / Mazda B-Series
- Ford Explorer / Mazda Navajo
- Ford Aerostar
- Ford Mustang (3.8L V6)
- Ford Thunderbird Supercoupe
- Ford Taurus SHO V6 (1989–1995)
- Ford Windstar
The European Ford Scorpio 2.9 V6 24V Cosworth also uses the EDIS-6 module.
- Lincoln Town Car, Mark VIII
- Ford Crown Victoria / Mercury Grand Marquis
- Ford Thunderbird / Mercury Cougar
- Ford Mustang
The EDIS-8 Module was also used in Some later 5.0L Ford Explorers until around 2002
Aftermarket Use in non-Ford Vehicles
The EDIS system's relative simplicity, in particular the fact that it does not require a cam sensor, makes it a popular choice for custom car builders and classic car owners looking to retrofit a modern ignition system to their vehicle. The crankshaft-mounted trigger wheel, VR sensor, EDIS Module and an ignition control computer can all be easily fitted to most older engines that originally used a traditional distributor for ignition.
- US Patent Number 4,661,778: Ignition diagnostic monitor
- US Patent Number 4,922,874: Automobile electronic control modules communicating by pulse width modulated signals
- US Patent Number 5,014,676: Ignition system with repetitive sparks
- Ford EDIS technical information
- MegaJolt Lite Jr- Stand-alone, DIY ignition for Ford EDIS
- MegasquirtnSpark-extra EDIS mode
- US Patent Number 6,115,665: Memory Efficient Computer System And Method For Controlling An Automotive Ignition System
- E-Type UK EDIS/Megajolt Ignition Support Thread