Electronic Signatures Directive
|European Union directive|
|Title||Directive 1999/93/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 13 December 1999 on a Community framework for electronic signatures|
|Made by||European Parliament & Council|
|Journal reference||L13, pp. 12–20|
|Replaced by||REGULATION (EU) No 910/2014 is repealing Directive 1999/93/EC and shall apply from 1 July 2016.|
The Electronic Signatures Directive 1999/93/EC was a European Union Directive on the use of Electronic signatures (e-signatures) in electronic contracts within the European Union (EU). It was repealed by the eIDAS Regulation on 1 July 2016.
The central provision of the Directive is article 5, which requires that electronic signatures are regarded as equivalent to written signatures.
|“||Legal effects of electronic signatures
1. Member States shall ensure that advanced electronic signatures which are based on a qualified certificate and which are created by a secure-signature-creation device:
- Communication from the Commission to the Council, the European Parliament, the European Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions “Action Plan on e-signatures and e-identification to facilitate the provision of cross-border public services in the Single Market” [COM(2008) 798 final – Not published in the Official Journal]
- Commission report of 15 March 2006 on the operation of Directive 1999/93/EC on a Community framework for electronic signatures [COM(2006) 120 final – not published in the Official Journal].
- Commission Decision 2003/511/EC of 14 July 2003 on the publication of reference numbers of generally recognised standards for electronic signature products in accordance with Directive 1999/93/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council [Official Journal L 175, 15 July 2003]
- Commission Decision 2000/709/EC of 6 November 2000 on the minimum criteria to be taken into account by Member States when designating bodies in accordance with Article 3(4) of Directive 1999/93/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council on a Community framework for electronic signatures [Official Journal L 289 of 16 November 2000]
- Digital signatures and law#European Union and the European Economic Area
- Electronic signature
- United States Electronic Signatures in Global and National Commerce Act
- http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX:31999L0093 – EUR-Lex multi-lingual documents on Directive 1999/93/EC
- https://www.docusign.com/eu-esignature-directive – Docusign article on Directive 1999/93/EC
- "Directive 1999/93/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 13 December 1999 on a Community framework for electronic signatures". EUR-Lex. European Union. 1999. Retrieved 3 August 2014.
|This article relating to European Union law is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|