An electronic symbol is a pictogram used to represent various electrical and electronic devices (such as wires, batteries, resistors, and transistors) in a schematic diagram of an electrical or electronic circuit. These symbols can (because of remaining traditions) vary from country to country, but are today to a large extent internationally standardized. Some symbols represent components (such as vacuum tubes) which ceased to be used routinely as newer technologies were introduced.
- 1 Standards for symbols
- 2 Gallery of common electronic symbols
- 3 See also
- 4 References
- 5 External links
Standards for symbols
There are several national and international standards for graphical symbols in circuit diagrams, in particular:
- IEC 60617 (also known as British Standard BS 3939).
- ANSI standard Y32.2 (also known as IEEE Std 315).
- IEEE Std 91/91a: graphic symbols for logic functions (used in digital electronics). It is referenced in ANSI Y32.2/IEEE Std 315.
- Australian Standard AS 1102.
Different symbols may be used depending on the discipline using the drawing. For example, lighting and power symbols used as part of architectural drawings may be different from symbols for devices used in electronics. National and local variations to international standards also exist.
Gallery of common electronic symbols
Symbols shown are typical examples, not a complete list.
(a) IEC-style resistor, (b) rheostat (variable resistor), and (c) potentiometer
Inductor with magnetic core (IEEE Std 315)
IEC-style chassis symbol
Loop antenna (IEEE Std 315)
American-style relays, SPST, SPDT, DPST, DPDT
Moulded Case Circuit Breaker (MCCB)
IEC-style trace junction
Ferrite bead ring (IEEE Std 315)
- Circuit Symbols for all Electronic Components. Talking Electronics, 2013. Retrieved 01 Apr 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Electrical symbols.|
- International standard IEC 60617 DB Graphical symbols for diagrams
- Electrical Schematic Symbols
- Collection of Open Source Electrical, Pneumatic, Hydraulic and Electronic Symbols
- Circuit Symbols of Electronic Components
- Electrical & Electronic Drawing Symbols
- Collection of Electronic Symbols
- Circuit Schematic Symbols
- Collection of Electrical and Electronic Schematic Symbols