Jersey City, New Jersey, U.S.
|Occupation||Director, writer, photographer, producer|
Elegance was born in Jersey City, New Jersey and raised in Phillipsburg, New Jersey. At age 16, he was kicked out of home for being gay and spent 10 years in homelessness before joining the Marines. He served as a combat camera production specialist in Camp H.M. Smith in Hawaii, shooting videos and taking photographs. He was graduated from the Columbia University with a degree in African American Studies, and a MFA in New York University Tisch School of the Arts for directing and writing.
Elegance´s debut documentary film, Pier Kids: The Life, about three LGBTQ homeless youths in New York City. The film has been featured in media, such as the VICE, ABC News, The Huffington Post , OUT Magazine and GLAAD. In 2016, he directed a short film, Walk for Me, as an assignment in his second year in the Graduate Film program at Tisch. The film is about trans motherhood in ballroom culture. His photographic compilation Bound by Night, shortlisted for the Kassel 2014 photo-book award.
|2015||Pier Kids: The Life||Documentary|
|2016||Walk for Me||Short Film|
|2017||Life After||N||N||Short Film|
|2018||Ina nyo||N||N||Short Film|
|2018||Fran This Summer||N||N||Short Film|
|2018||My House||TV Series|
- "Category Is … Filmmaker Realness". nytimes.com. Retrieved 2019-03-12.
- "ELEGANCE BRATTON & HIS UNIQUE JOURNEY TOWARD FILMMAKING". nhfilmfestival.com. Retrieved 2019-03-12.
- "'Pier Kids:The Life,' Elegance Bratton Film, Evidences The Struggles Of LGBT Homeless Youth". huffingtonpost.in. Retrieved 2019-03-12.
- "Preview Documentary 'Pier Kids: The Life' on Homeless LGBT Youth of Color". indiewire.com. Retrieved 2019-03-12.
- "Inside 'Walk For Me,' a Heart-Stopping Film About Motherhood in Ballroom Culture". vice.com. Retrieved 2019-03-12.
- "Gay Marine's Amazing Journey From Homeless Shelter to Ivy League". abcnews.go.com. Retrieved 2019-03-12.
- "The Incredible Story Of A Homeless Teenager Who Went On To Become A Star Marine". businessinsider.in. Retrieved 2019-03-12.
- "Elegance Bratton's Amazing Journey From Homeless Shelter to Ivy League". gs.columbia.edu. Retrieved 2019-03-12.
- "ON YOUR RADAR: ELEGANCE BRATTON". tisch.nyu.edu. Retrieved 2019-03-12.
- "This Documentary Shines A Light On NYC's Homeless LBGTQ Youth". thefader.com. Retrieved 2019-05-02.
- "Life for Homeless Gay and Trans Teens in New York City". vice.com. Retrieved 2019-05-02.
- "WATCH: Pier Kids". out.com. Retrieved 2019-05-02.
- "Watch the trailer for Pier Kids: The Life, and help fund the film". glaad.org. Retrieved 2019-05-02.
- "Elegance Bratton's Walk For Me Spotlights Trans Motherhood in Ballroom". out.com. Retrieved 2019-05-02.
- "Elegance Bratton: Bound by Night". anothermag.com. Retrieved 2019-03-12.
- "32 Books selected". fotobookfestival.org. Retrieved 2019-05-02.