'Elektromotive is a UK based company, acquired by Chargemaster in 2017 , specialising in the manufacture and installation of charging infrastructure for electric cars and other electric vehicles, using their trade name of Elektrobay. The company has partnerships with major corporations including EDF Energy and Mercedes-Benz to supply charging posts and data services.
The first Elektrobays were installed by Westminster City Council in 2006 (branded as 'Juice Point'), with there now being over 100 units in London. The Elektrobays are frequently used by EV users, with the Berkeley Square location in particular being frequently over subscribed.
In February 2009, Westminster City Council was accused by energy suppler Npower of infringing its trademark by calling their Elektrobays 'Juice Points'.
In January 2017, The UK Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) gave Chargemaster permission to acquire Elektromotive and Charge Your Car, which was completed in the same month.
The company's main product is a range of Elektrobay units for charging vehicles that supply 13amps 230v suitable for slow-charging vehicles as well as a 32amp version (single or three phase) for faster charging of vehicles. These are available as free standing posts, wall mounted and with a range of connectors. They also offer intelligent systems to communicate with the vehicle while charging.
Mercedes-Benz and Smart have been preparing for the widespread uptake of electric vehicles (EVs) in the UK by beginning the installation of recharging points across their dealer networks. Currently, 20 Elektrobay recharging units have been installed at seven locations as part of a pilot project. Further expansion of the initiative is planned for late-2010.
- "Elektromotive - About Us". Elektromotive Ltd.
- Sunderland, Faye (2009-10-12). "Elektromotive selected to trial electric smart". TheGreenCarWebsite.co.uk. Retrieved 2009-11-02.
- "EDF Energy working together with Elektromotive Ltd.". EDF Energy. Archived from the original on September 7, 2009. Retrieved 2009-11-02.
- "Elektromotive trialling smart fortwo in UK". Mercedes-Benz UK. 2009-10-14. Archived from the original on 2009-10-06. Retrieved 2009-11-02.
- Noreen (2009-10-06). "Green Fleet honours Elektromotive MD with 'Outstanding Achievement Award'". European Motor News. Retrieved 2009-11-02.
- Simmons, Greg. "Technical Director". AD Media Europe. Retrieved 28 October 2011.
- Onyx Grand Prix
- Taylor, Andrew (2007-12-09). "Risk Takers catch a wave". London: The Sunday Times. Retrieved 2009-11-02.
- Vaughan, Adam (2009-09-29). "Brighton & Hove aims to become UK's most friendly electric car-friendly city". London: The Guardian. Retrieved 2009-11-02.
- "London to get its 100th Elektromotive charging bay". Road Transport.com. 2009-04-14. Archived from the original on 2010-01-30.
- Hutton, Ray (2009-04-12). "The race is on to create more mean drivers". London: The Sunday Times. Retrieved 2009-11-02.
- "Npower complains over 'juice' use". BBC News. 2009-02-04.
- "EV car-to-charger communications improved". Channel 4 News. 2008-09-18.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-07-10. Retrieved 2010-09-26.