|Initial release||April 2006|
|Operating system||Windows: Vista, XP, 7, 2000 / Mac: OS X 10.4 and up|
ElephantDrive is a storage virtualization service used primarily as an online backup tool, but also as a remote access service/collaboration tool. The service runs on both Windows and Mac platforms, and allows users to create simple automated rules for protecting data by moving it into an ElephantDrive account.
ElephantDrive makes use of infrastructure-on-demand as part of its architecture, and is one of the first and most popular examples of the applications built on Amazon's S3 (Simple Storage Service). ElephantDrive initially utilized Amazon S3 as a tool for a datacenter migration, but quickly moved it into the production infrastructure.
ElephantDrive's first major breakthrough came in conjunction with the 2008 closing of early cloud storage provider and AOL property Xdrive when the service offered a free tool for migrating files off of the Xdrive platform, simplifying the process of switching providers.
The company then turned its focus to the Network Attached Storage (NAS) space, designing and deploying cloud storage optimized to run natively on NAS devices in a series of partnerships with the hardware makers themselves. The initial partnership was with NETGEAR's storage product line of ReadyNAS systems in the form of a co-branded embedded cloud backup service called the "ReadyNAS Vault." Additional cloud storage for NAS integration were launched with hardware makers QNAP and Thecus, both of which opted to use the ElephantDrive brand, as opposed to "Vault" co-branding.
- Waring, Becky. "Choose The Right Backup for Your Business". Business Center. PC World.
- Aarons, Asa (2007-11-19). "Online & flash-drive storage backs up disaster 'grab box'". Ask Asa. New York: NY Daily News.
- Puri, Vivek. "Online Storage Innovator". StartUpSquad.
- Iskold, Alex. "Software for Virtual Teams". ReadWriteWeb.
- Kirkpatrick, Marshall. "Amazon releases early info on S3 storage use". TechCrunch.
- "Success Story: ElephantDrive". Amazon Web Services Success Stories. Amazon.
- Kuo, Benjamin. "ElephantDrive Targets Xdrive Users". SoCal Tech.
- Marks, Howard. "Elephant Drive Best Bet For Xdrive Users". Information Week.
- Kuo, Benjamin. "ElephantDrive Scores Win At Netgear". SoCal Tech.
- Komiega, Kevin. "Netgear launches NAS with cloud option". InfoStor.
- "Cloud Storage Backup: ElephantDrive". QNAP Solutions. QNAP.
- "Thecus Releases a New Module: ElephantDrive". Thecus Press Room. Thecus.
|This computer-storage-related software article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|