|Founder||Mark Shand and others|
|Dugal Muller, Robin Russell, Caroline Casey, Nicholas Claxton |
Elephant Family is an international NGO dedicated to protecting the Asian elephant from extinction in the wild. In the last fifty years their population has roughly halved and 90% of their habitat has disappeared. Poaching, a growing skin trade, and demand for wild-caught calves for tourism remain a constant threat along with the deadly and escalating conflict between people and elephants for living space and food. Elephant Family funds pioneering projects across Asia to reconnect forest fragments, prevent conflict and fight wildlife crime. Since 2002 Elephant Family has funded over 170 conservation projects and raised over £10m through public art events for this iconic yet endangered animal.
The late Mark Shand was one of the founding forces behind the charity when it launched in 2002 under the patronage of the Rajmata of Jaipur and Sir Evelyn de Rothschild. Mark Shand was an adventurer, best-selling author and conservationist who dedicated his life to the survival of the Asian elephant. His mission started in 1988 when he rescued a street begging elephant, which he named Tara, and journeyed 800km across India with her. Tara became the star of Mark’s best-selling book, Travels on my Elephant, which went on to win him Travel Writer of the Year.
Their Royal Highnesses The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall are joint Royal Presidents of the charity and most recently attended launched Elephant Parade India for the charity during their visit to Delhi.
Elephant Family is known for its award winning creative events that have raised millions for Asian elephants including The Fabergé Egg Hunt in 2012 and 2014, Travels to my Elephant in 2015 and 2017, The Animal Ball in 2013 and 2016, and Elephant Parade London 2010 and India 2018
Elephant Family partner with local NGOs across Asia to raise local awareness and to support sustainable in-a country conservation projects.
The NGOs include:
- Asian Elephant Specialist Group
- Cambodia Elephant Conservation Group
- Compass Films
- Danau Girang Field Centre
- Elephant Conservation Network
- Fauna & Flora International
- Grow Back for Posterity
- Nature Conservation Foundation
- The DodoBase
- The Golden Triangle Asian Elephant Foundation
- Veterinary Society for Sumatran Wildlife Conservation
- Wildlife Conservation Society
- Wildlife Protection Society of India
- Wildlife Trust of India
- World Land Trust
- Wildlife Society of Odisha
- "Elephant Family | Protecting Asian elephants and their habitat". Elephant Family. Retrieved 4 January 2021.
- *What we do; Elephant Family
- "Royal Patronage | Who We Are". Retrieved 4 January 2021.
- "Who we work with". Elephant-family.org. Archived from the original on 25 October 2018. Retrieved 25 October 2018.
- "Elephant Family Receives Royal Patronage". Archived from the original on 11 May 2015. Retrieved 1 November 2014.