Elephant Packing House
Elephant Packing House
|Location||201 W. Truslow Ave., Fullerton, California|
|Architectural style||Mission Revival—
Spanish Colonial revival
|NRHP reference #||83001214|
|Added to NRHP||September 21, 1983|
The Elephant Packing House was built in 1924, in Fullerton, Orange County, Southern California. Valencia oranges were packed here, from the abundant orchards that then dominated the county and gave it its name. William Wolfskill had developed and extensively planted the Valencia orange here in the 19th century. It is one of the last remaining examples of a citrus packing house in Fullerton.
The packing house was built in 1924 by the Union Pacific Railway to complement its neighboring train station. The 23,000-square-foot (2,100 m2) packing house first shipped oranges under the Elephant label, and was later leased by grower C.C. Chapman to pack his Old Mission brand oranges.
After it fell out of use for orange shipping, the warehouse was used by a lawn furniture distributor. In 1960 the Union Pacific Railway sold the structure, which has been used by a variety of tenants. It was expanded in 1971. The railway station has since been relocated.
The packing house design is predominantly in the Mission Revival Style, with Spanish Colonial Revival Style architectural elements. The main building measures 165 feet (50 m) by 70 feet (21 m), with one story above grade and a full basement. The interior is lighted by two sawtooth roof monitors. The north side faces onto railroad tracks that run immediately adjacent to the packing house.
A Mission Revival style Union Pacific Railroad railway station (built 1923) was already adjacent. It has been preserved and been moved to the Fullerton Transportation Center, next to the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway station there (built 1930).
All three buildings are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Orange County, California — listed with images and article links.
- Index: History of Orange County, California
- National Park Service (2009-03-13). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "Elephant Packing House". City of Fullerton. Retrieved 8 May 2012.
- Marsh, Diann; Deneau, Andy (January 1983). "National Register of Historic Places Inventory - Nomination Form: Elephant Packing House". National Park Service. Retrieved 8 May 2012.