|Genres||Scottish/Celtic, folk, bluegrass, indie rock|
|Past members||Sage Cook|
Elephant Revival is a folk music group from Nederland, Colorado, formed in 2006. The band consists of Bonnie Paine (vocals, stomp box, washboard, djembe, musical saw), Charlie Rose (vocals, pedal steel, banjo, cello, trumpet, trombone), Dango Rose (double-bass, mandolin, banjo, vocals), Daniel Rodriguez (acoustic guitar, electric banjo/guitar, vocals) and Bridget Law (fiddle and vocals).
Their style of music is often referred to as "transcendental folk," which incorporates elements of Scottish/Celtic fiddle tunes, original folk pieces, traditional ballads, bluegrass, and indie rock. All members of the band are multi-instrumentalists and contribute vocals and to songwriting.
Individually and collectively the band members have performed with or opened for Dispatch, Bela Fleck, John Paul Jones, Devotchka, Michael Franti, Little Feat, Yonder Mountain String Band, Nickel Creek, Nickelback, George Clinton and Parliament Funkadelic, Leftover Salmon, Railroad Earth, State Radio, String Cheese Incident, Shanti Groove, Trampled by Turtles, and others.
The band members originate from many parts of the country but have roots in both Colorado and Tahlequah, Oklahoma, Paine's hometown. Several members of the band began playing together in the summer of 2006 in various group combinations in Oklahoma and Colorado. The first show where all five members played together was in Colorado in October 2006 at the Gold Hill Inn, performing as Elephant Revival Concept. After solidifying the group, "Concept" was soon dropped from the name. Elephant Revival's debut, self-titled recording was released in 2008 and produced by David Tiller of Taarka. In summer 2010 Elephant Revival was signed to Ruff Shod Records, an independent label started by Chad Stokes of State Radio and Dispatch. Elephant Revival's second CD Break In the Clouds, also produced by Tiller, was released on November 22, 2010.
On June 18, 2016 the band narrowly escaped a bus fire the morning before a show at Music at the Mill in Hickory, NC. Several unique instruments and belongings were destroyed in the fire but the band members were unharmed and played the show that night with borrowed instruments and donated clothes.
- Bonnie Paine (vocals, washboard, stompboard, djembe, musical saw, cello)
- Charlie Rose (vocals, pedal steel, banjo, cello, trumpet, trombone)
- Dango Rose (double-bass, mandolin, banjo, vocals)
- Daniel Rodriguez (acoustic guitar, electric banjo/guitar vocals)
- Bridget Law (fiddle and vocals).
- Sage Cook - founding member, not currently playing with the band (electric banjo/guitar, acoustic guitar, mandolin, viola, vocals)
- Elephant Revival (2008)
- Break In The Clouds (2010)
- It's Alive (EP) (2012)
- These Changing Skies (2013)
- Sands of Now (Live at the Boulder Theater CD & DVD set) (2015)
- Petals (2016)
- Schmidt, Michel Emerging Artist Spotlight: Elephant Revival, The Current, (February 2011). Vol 8, No. 2. Retrieved June 17, 2011.
- Snow, Brady Elephant Revival’s Break in the Clouds Album Review, Mountain Weekly News, (January 28, 2011). Retrieved June 17, 2011.
- O'Brien, Cory Elephant Revival splits the sky with “Break In The Clouds." Boulder Weekly. (December 13, 2010). Retrieved June 17, 2011.
- Valerie Buccio and Tom Neas Elephant Revival Show to go on despite tour bus fire. (June 18, 2016). Retrieved June 19, 2016.