Eleventh Judicial Circuit Court of Florida
The factual accuracy of parts of this article (those related to The Eleventh Circuit Judicial Nominating Commission) may be compromised due to out-of-date information. (November 2017)
The Eleventh Judicial Circuit Court of Florida is a Circuit Court composed of Miami-Dade County in South Florida. Appeals from the Eleventh Judicial Circuit are heard by the Florida Third District Court of Appeal.
The Eleventh Judicial Circuit of Florida is the largest in the state and the fourth largest trial court in the nation. Its 123 judges serve a population of over 2.75 million.
It has four courthouses which house circuit and county court judges, the Administrative Office of the Courts, the Clerk's Office and other court-related personnel: the Richard E. Gerstein Justice Building, where circuit and county criminal cases are heard; the Dade County Courthouse, where circuit and county civil are heard; the Lawson E. Thomas Courthouse Center, where probate, family and domestic violence cases are heard; and, the Miami-Dade County Children's Courthouse, where juvenile delinquency and dependency cases are heard. In order to provide the public with greater access to the courts, circuit and county court judges also preside at seven branch courts located throughout Miami-Dade County.
The Chief Judge acts as liaison with the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Florida in all judicial administrative matters and is responsible for the efficient and proper administration of the circuit and county courts. His duties include developing a plan for the prompt disposition of cases; assignment of judges, other court officers and executive assistants; control of dockets; regulation and use of courtrooms; mandatory periodic review of the status of the inmates of the county jail; and, consideration of statistical data.
- Joel H. Brown, 2009-2013
- Joseph P. Farina, 1995-2009
- Bertila Soto, Current
The Chief Judge is assisted in judicial administration by administrative judges assigned to the nine divisions of the circuit and county courts. Within their respective divisions, they have authority over assignment or transfer of cases, assignment of judges, the physical location of judges within a courthouse, back-ups for judges, and intra-division court policy.
Current Administrative Judges:
- Nushin G. Sayfie, Circuit Criminal
- Jennifer D. Bailey, Circuit Civil
- Scott M. Bernstein, Family Division
- Orlando A. Prescott, Unified Children's Court
- Yvonne Colodny, Probate Division
- Lisa S. Walsh, Appellate Division
- Robin Faber, County Criminal
- Linda Singer Stein, County Civil
- Carroll J. Kelly, Domestic Violence
- Jose M. Rodriguez, International Commercial Arbitration Division
- "About the Court". Eleventh Judicial Circuit Court of Florida. Retrieved 2017-11-25.
- "Judges of the Eleventh Judicial Circuit of Florida". Eleventh Judicial Circuit Court of Florida. Retrieved 2017-11-25.