|12th President of the
University of Kentucky
2011 – Present
|Preceded by||Lee T. Todd, Jr.|
August 22, 1949 |
Eli Capilouto, DMD, Sc.D. (born August 22, 1949 in Montgomery, Alabama) is the twelfth president of the University of Kentucky. He had been the provost of The University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB).
Capilouto is a native of Alabama. He received most of his education there and has spent much of his career within the state. He is married to Mary Lynne Capilouto, who is also a dentist and former dean of the School of Dentistry at UAB. The couple has one daughter, Emily.
Academic and administrative career
Capilouto obtained his bachelor's degree from the University of Alabama. His Doctor of Dental Medicine and master's degrees in epidemiology came from UAB. In 1991, he received a doctorate in health policy and management from Harvard School of Public Health. He joined the UAB faculty in 1975. He served as Dean of the UAB School of Public Health from 1994-2001 before he returned to his research and faculty appointment as professor. He was named Acting Provost in 2002, and assumed the post permanently in 2005. On 4 May 2011, Capilouto was selected to succeed Lee Todd, Jr., the eleventh president of the University of Kentucky. He was hired under a five-year contract with a base annual salary of $500,000 plus $125,000 in benefits and a possible bonus of up to $50,000.
- "Curriculum Vitae". 1 July 2011. University of Kentucky. Retrieved 1 July 2011.
- "Dr. Eli Capilouto Becomes the 12th President of the University of Kentucky". 1 July 2011. University of Kentucky. Retrieved 1 July 2011.
- "Provost's Biography: Eli Capilouto". The University of Alabama at Birmingham, Office of the Provost. 2008. Retrieved 4 May 2011.
- Blanton, Jay (4 May 2011). "Eli Capiluoto Named 12th University of Kentucky President". University of Kentucky. Retrieved 4 May 2011.
- "Eli Capilouto, DMD, ScD, MPH". The University of Alabama at Birmingham. Retrieved 4 May 2011.