Eli Marom, 2007
November 13, 1955 |
Sde Eliezer, Upper Galilee, Israel
|Rank||Aluf (Vice Admiral)|
|Commands held||Commander of a Missile Boat, Commander F.M.B. (First Missile Boat) Squadron, Commander of the Advanced Naval Command Course, Head of Operational Intelligence Department, Commander of the F.M.B. Flotilla, Commander of the Haifa Naval Base and the North Arena, Chief of Staff of the Israel Navy, IDF representative at the United States Joint Forces Command, Defense and Armed Forces Attaché in Singapore, Commander in Chief of the Israel Navy|
Aluf (Vice Admiral) Eliezer "Eli" Marom (Chayni) (Hebrew: אליעזר "אלי" מרום "צ'ייני", born in 1955, Sde Eliezer, Upper Galilee, Israel) was the Commander of the Israeli Navy in the years 2007–2011. As of 2015 he serves as the head of the Israel Airports Authority.
Marom's parents met in China. His father, a German Jew, was living as a refugee during World War II. His mother was born in China; her mother was a Russian Jew who had emigrated to China, and her father was a Chinese man who converted to Judaism. Marom's parents later moved to Israel, where he was born. Marom grew up in Moshav Sde Eliezer in the Hula Valley. He studied Marine Engineering in the Israel Nautical College in Akko. While his studied there, one of his commander call him "Chayni" because his eyes, and that became his nickname. He began his career in the Israeli Navy in 1975 after completing a naval officers course.
Over the course of his career, Marom has held most of the senior positions in the Israeli Navy. According to Haaretz, Marom is widely praised for his abilities as a commander, but concerns about his character led to him being passed over as head of the Navy in 2004. However, Marom was finally appointed to the post in 2007. He was charged with rehabilitating the Navy after the 2006 Lebanon War, in the wake of a Hezbollah missile strike on INS Hanit.
In March 2009, Marom was embroiled in a scandal after he was caught partying at a strip club in Tel Aviv. MK Nachman Shai called for Marom's resignation and IDF Chief of Staff Gabi Ashkenazi verbally rebuked him for his behavior. Ashkenazi did not, however, attach a reprimand to Marom's personal file.
Marom was still head of the navy during the 2010 Gaza flotilla raid. In June 2011, as the Free Gaza Movement was preparing to launch Freedom Flotilla II to Gaza, Marom was quoted as calling the action a 'hate flotilla'.
After leaving the navy in 2011, he became involved in many projects, and serves as Senior Director at Seagull Maritime Security.
Eliezer Marom is married to Ora and has three children.
- Israel Navy Advanced Command Course
- National Defense College
- U.S. Navy Senior International Defense Management Program
- Harvard Business School
- MA in Social Sciences from Haifa University
- 1975 Joins ISC as Engine Officer
- 1999 promoted as Rear Admiral and appointed Commander of the Haifa Naval Base and the North Arena
- 2001 appointed the Head of Naval Operations of the Israel Navy
- 2003 appointed Chief of Staff of the Israel Navy
- 2004-2005 IDF representative at the United States Joint Forces Command.
- August 2005 appointed Defense Armed Forces Attache at the Embassy of Israel in Singapore
- October 9, 2007 promoted to Vice Admiral and Commander in Chief of the Israel Navy.
- "Admiral Eliezer Marom, Commander of the Israel Navy". IDF Spokesperson. Retrieved 10 June 2011.
- "הים הצהוב". Maariv-nrg. 2007-10-27. Retrieved 2011-10-08.
- Avner Lotan, Admiral Cayni, Yediot Tel-Aviv, 7/10/2007
- "MK to IDF chief: Fire Navy commander over strip club jaunt". Haaretz. 2009-03-04. Retrieved 2009-03-04.
- "Israel Navy commander: 'Hate flotilla' to Gaza must be stopped". Haaretz. 2011-06-19. Retrieved 2011-06-19.
- Former Navy chief Marom detained at Heathrow - Ynetnews. 14 October 2013