|Known for||Speciality in Tropical diseases and Travel medicine|
Eliezer (Eli) Schwartz (Hebrew: אליעזר שוורץ) MD, DTMH is an Israeli physician, known for his speciality in tropical diseases and travel medicine. He is a founding member of the International Society of Travel Medicine (ISTM) and served as chair of its Professional Education Committee. Schwartz is currently president of the Asia Pacific Travel Health Society (APTHS) as well as the Israel Society for Parasitology, Protozoology and Tropical Diseases (ISPPTD). At clinical practice, he is head of the Center for Travel Medicine and Tropical Diseases at the Sheba Medical Center.
Schwartz specialises in tropical diseases and travel medicine since 1980. He has lived in Nepal for 2 years, and travels to many countries in Asia and Africa, thus gaining much expertise. He has published over 200 scientific papers in his scientific field.
Schwartz is a founding member of the International Society of Travel Medicine, has been part of its Executive Committee and served as chair of its Professional Education Committee. He is currently member of two of its committees: Certificate of Knowledge Exam Committee and Professional Training and Education Committee. Schwartz is member of the editorial board of the Journal of Travel Medicine ISSN 1195-1982. In the GeoSentinel global surveillance network of the ITSM and the CDC, he is the Israeli site director.
Schwartz is a consultant for the Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs as well as various governments in tropical countries. In this position, he has treated UN troops in Angola, as well as the leader of Eritrea, thus serving Israel's diplomatic relations as well as his patients.
- Tropical Diseases in Travelers (Eli Schwartz ed). John Wiley and Sons, NY, 2009. 504 pages. ISBN 978-1-4051-8441-0
- Travel Medicine: Tales Behind the Science (Advances in Tourism Research) (Annelies Wilder-Smith, Eli Schwartz, Marc Shaw ed). Elsevier Science, NY, 2008. 333 pages. ISBN 978-0-08-045359-0
- A Hidden Traveler: Narratives of travelers with tropical diseases. By: Eli Schwartz, Orna Schatz-Oppenheimer. Ramot Publishing, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, 2009. 248 pages. The ISBN even at the publisher (978-965-274-448-4) is bad, causing a checksum error.
- http://www.istm.org/educational_resources/cases/Case2007-1.pdf brief biography at ISTM website
- http://www.apths.org/publicdownloads.aspx?id=13&menu=downloads APTHS website
- http://parasitology-soc.md.huji.ac.il/exec.htm ISPPTD website - Executive Members
- http://eng.sheba.co.il/Sheba_Hospitals/Acute_Care_Hospital/Division_of_Internal_Medicine/Travel_and_Tropical/201.htm The Center for Travel Medicine and Tropical Diseases at the Sheba Medical Center
- http://istm.org/committees/exam_charter.aspx Certificate of Knlowledge Exam Committee of the ISTM
- http://istm.org/committees/petc.aspx Professional Training and Education Committee of the ITSM
- http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/118489668/home/EditorialBoard.html Journal of Travel Medicine Editorial Board
- http://www.istm.org/geosentinel/sitelist.html GeoSentinel site director
- http://www.sheba.co.il/h/1079/&mod=club&action=view&REC_ID%5Bmem_id%5D=665 Schwartz's personal page (Hebrew) at the Sheba Medical Center
- http://www.mfa.gov.il/MFA/Mashav%20%E2%80%93%20International%20Development/Publications/1998/Diplomatic%20Doctor Tavor, Naomi. Diplomatic Doctor, Shalom Magazine, Issue no. 2, 1996. Government of Israel - Ministry of Foreign Affairs